Older Dog And New Puppu

DogzRule

Just wondering if anyone could offer me a little advise.

I have a 7 year old Border Collie (male), last week I brought home an 8 week old red Cattle Dog (girl). Hoping my boy wouldnt mind, after all he loves everyone and everything and there is not a mean bone in this dog's body...or so I thought.

He totally ignores this pup, walks away when she enters the room, comes inside the house, when she goes outside. If a dog can have his noise out of joint, then this is it.

I am not trying to force any major relationship, be happy for tolerance. I have tried everything. He is fed first, played with and walked as usual. He favorite, Car trips, are still happening and when I come home from work, he is always greeted first.

My problem is he snaps at her if she comes to close and you know puppies...bounce,bounce,bounce...and more snapping. I am worried that he will hurt her, which is something I didnt think I would have to worry about with my boy.

I would appreciate any advice you may have,that will make things easier for all.

Please dont worry, these dogs are NEVER left alone together, the puppy has a large secure pen that she stays in when I am out and also they are NEVER fed together, they also have their own toys that I use to play with each of them

That's just normal. His routine is all out of whack, and there's a new little 'creature' invading his space. Took a few months for my older boy to tolerate the young one, and now nearly 2 years later they sleep curled up together, which is something we never thought we'd see.

My eldest dog has always been an absolute B#%tch to our pups. The first one she was extremely put out and really put him in his place. I was very concerned, but the pup would always runs back to her. The second pup 4 years later she would growl when the pup walked past. It took her until the third pup, 6 years from the first, where she would let it jump around her.

I would not be concerned - the pup is still very new. It may just mean you have to keep them seperated when unsupervised longer than intended.

Male Border Collies can be divided into two groups. Those that adore puppies and are infinitely patient with them and those that "don't do puppies". There doesn't seem to be any middle ground with them. The bolder, more confident dogs seem to cope better with puppies than the softer dogs. I'm sure your boy will love the puppy in a couple of months but for now just make sure he can get away from her when he wants to. Also watch in case he decides to put her out of action by biting her elbow. If you notice her limping check the inside of the elbow for a puncture. It is a very much a BC trait to put a young dog out of action with this particular bite. I have never had a dog do it but know of several others that have applied this tactic. I have never heard of a an adult male doing anything worse to a puppy than the elbow bite or putting the puppy on it's back with a lot of noise but no actual bite, so supervise but don't worry too much.

Thats great and thank you at least there is light at the end of the tunnel....Its 5am and my Border and I are sitting here with coffee, watching this little thing fly around the yard, full of beans. The look on his face is total disgust, its classic lol

My male sheltie is the same. He is the most loving sheltie to anyone - always ready for a cuddle but with baby puppies? Noooo way. Once my litter was up and out last year, he would be up on the lounge out of the way. If he was lying on the floor & they approached, he would lift his lip and then snap at them. Of course, they all thought it was a lovely game :laugh: Once the pup I kept got a little older, he was more interested in playing. I think they scare them a little and we all know baby puppy teeth are sharp. Twelve months on and he plays chasings, rumbles etc but if lying on the lounge, likes to be there in peace. Of course, the young one likes to push the button and will keep creeping forward(I am such a bad mum and sit there laughing to myself). Poor boy can get such a look of disgust.

Am sure your boy will come around as the pup gets a little older and learns her place.

You are describing the exact scenario I had in my house 1.5 years ago!!!

It took about 2 weeks before there was tolerance, and then within 2 months it moved from tolerance to love!!!

Up until the day before I had to have Emma PTS she was still putting Kenzie in her place if she needed to! Old dogs teach young dogs how to have doggy manners - at least that's what happened in this house!

When I introduced Sonny, 3 year old male to Stella,just 12 weeks old the first few days were interesting. I was worried I'd done the wrong thing :(

Trying to do all the right things as you are, & Sonny is a puppy lover, he was patted first, feed first e.t.c he ignored her mostly, sometimes a little snappy

at her, & generally looked 'put out'. After a few days I could see a change happening. Sonny was warming to her. He was disiplining

her about 'house rules' & he was also trying to mount her, much to my surprise :eek: as he is desexed, but apparently I have found out that

he was telling her "I am the boss here" nothing more. Ever since then they are the very best of friends & play together all the time. It is beautiful

thing to see as they are both so happy with each other. He still tells her off though, putting her mouth in his & putting her onto the ground, growling.

If she over steps her mark with him. But he doesn't hurt her. Hope I have been of some help. Can be a bit over welming at first. Best that you don't interfere though

unless it is really getting serious.

Good luck with your new arrival. It might just take some time. Sure things will be fine. :crossfingers:

Edited by BC Crazy

puppies have to learn their place. Just keep interaction under supervision and dont let the older dog go too far with its cranking. I never let new pups spend all their out of crate time with my other dogs anyway otherwise they just want to bond with them instead of you.

It's hard sometimes, but it's early days yet. Hopefully your BC will adjust and this will become a distant memory. When the pup is old enough to go to a leash free area maybe that would be a good place for them - neutral territory in a way?

• 3 weeks later...

Just to emphasis other's comments. I had exactly the same experience with my 8 year old lab and new pup this year. It took more than ten days for her to sit on the same mat with him; she snapped and walked off, even though I'd always thought she was the friendliest dog on the planet. Once she'd made him realise she was the boss... she literally started letting him walk all over her (except when she didn't want to, and would find her own space). Now they adore each other, but it was a very stressful adjustment time for the humans! ;)

Edited by Viclab

Our lot are a bit like that with new puppies.

Buster isn't overly tolerant of puppies antics at first, he is firm but pretty fair. He is 7 when I got Quinn and they were sharing my bed by night 2. Not that Buster was happy about that.

Mac (my sisters 5 year old terrier mix with no social skills) took quite a bit longer to get used to new puppy, its the first puppy we'd ever introduced to her and she really didn't understand. The first few weeks she would leave everytime Quinn approached her, slowly she learned to play with her - "So you play bow and I ... roll on top of you?" until they eventually worked out some games for both of them and now they play constantly.

None of our three are particularily close, none of them snuggle with each other but they are all very tolerant of one another.