Showing In The Wet

Crazier than golfers?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. It's lightly showering

• I'm at home, I checked the forecast and I hate rain
    • I usually show somewhere with an under cover facility
    • I show in my normal show outfit
    • I show in my normal show outfit with a rain jacket
    • I show in my dags, any excuse will do!
    • Other, explain in comments
  2. 2. It's raining heavily, and has been for a while

• I'm at home, I checked the forecast
    • I'm on my way home, bugger this for a joke
    • I usually show somewhere with an undercover facility
    • I show in my normal show outfit with a rain jacket over the top
    • I show in my dags, and gumboots
  3. 3. It's raining, and the ground has turned to mud

• I'm at home, silly
    • I'm on my way home, bugger this for a joke
    • I usually show somewhere with an undercover facility
    • I show in my normal show outfit with a rain jacket and stylish little ankle gumboots
    • I show in my dags and gumboots
    • I don't show, because my dog wasn't bred to work in muddy conditions and it doesn't show them at their best

I would happily show my Finnish Lapphund regardless of the weather- they don't mind. I show them in dagy wet weather gear.

My tough kelpies.....

Not much point as they are too busy trying not to get their tootsies wet :rofl:

I feel your pain. :rolleyes:

My Ruby Cav who normally likes wind and rain, refused to move on Sat and Sun, you should have seen the delicate steps she attempted. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I started off pretty on Friday, also new shoes.

Saturday wore older shoes which could be washed/wiped down and got my shirt wet.

Sunday I wore newly purchased gummies AND my whelping supplies jacket, bugger the advertising I just wanted to be a bit dry.

I"m happy to get wet and have a smooth coated dog that can be towel dried and warmly coated afterwards but I draw the line at the kind of slush that sees exhibitors go base over apex at any kind of pace in the ring and that sees cars bogged or sliding on their way out.

I bailed out on day 3 of Albury and I would do it again.

LOL that's why I could not find you on Sunday. I had purchased a pair of gummies by then. ;)

They should have had a 'best gumboot' comp - saw lots of awesome ones.

I actually planned to show in my normal show shoes on Saturday but took one step out of the gazebo and nearly had them sucked off in the squelch. I switched to runners but was wearing gumboots for the Open show.

Sorry to have missed you BB. See you at Bairnsdale - lets hope its better weather!!

Edited by poodlefan

Will definitely be on the lookout now for some lightweight plastic raincoats to keep in the show bag. I had brought up a new suit for my girl who does the handling but that didn't even come out of the bag. We ended up wearing gumboots and more sensible clothes but still got wet. It was raining on Sat and Sun when Danes were on. On Sat my brindle boy wasn't too bad and the mud doesn;t show up on a brindle but Sunday he was naughty as he didn't want to do it. My fawn girl was OK on Saturday but didn't want to walk through the mud to the ring entrance on Sunday however once there she performed well. My handler said it was very slippery especially in gumboots. The judge had a very nice long raincoat on!

It's all good until the rain is torrential and the grounds turn to mud, at which point I put on the jeans and gumboots and hope to Dog I don't win the group :laugh:

I've got a few pics from last year of BIG's and friends have asked WTF I was wearing, as I wouldn;t be seen dead in the ring in jeans on a nice day

ETA: I laughed at the official photographer at a triple show, who on the Sunday told me " don't worry about a pic today, we'll use the one's from Friday and Saturday " :rofl:

Edited by ReadySetGo

My friend went to Kmart in Albury on Saturday afternoon and bought some plastic ponchos for $3 each. They were a godsend on Sunday! Next time I go shopping I'm going to look out for some to keep in the car and grooming bag. They take up hardly any space and I can see plenty of uses for them. It always seems to pour rain when it's time for me to pack the car at KCC Park.

I looked even more special Saturday evening when I went sliding in the mud twice in the ring! :laugh: I was covered from m arm, all the way down my back, my whole leg, wet and covered in mud!!!! :laugh: my undies were soaked, so uncomfortable!! :rofl:

Sunday I managed another slight fall in the BIS line up, was quite funny and amusing, my poor dog must have been so embarrassed.

Yes luckily I had a very helpful friend who I was just throwing jackets at so I could look half respectable for a BIS photo!!! :laugh:

Doesn't rain here too much. When it does rain its usually wait half an hour and its gone. Did do one show away where a terrific storm rolled in half way through a show. We kept going but one of my dogs curled up between my legs in the ring so he could get under my coat and not get wet.

I would happily show my Finnish Lapphund regardless of the weather- they don't mind. I show them in dagy wet weather gear.

My tough kelpies.....

Not much point as they are too busy trying not to get their tootsies wet :rofl:

LOL I love showing the brown dogs in the rain ! Bring on the mud LOL the only thing I struggle with is because I freestand my dogs it is hard because the rain goes down theirs ears when they try looking up at me :) But they dont really care if they get wet. I think if they can run around and get feral in the rain at home, then they can do it at shows for me.

I remember showing at Coffs a couple of years ago in inches of water and it splashing up on my dogs as we went around the ring.. they didnt care :) and you couldnt see they were muddy LOL

I'll show in the rain if I'm already there. If its sprinkling when we leave home fine... if its pouring when we wake up... I turn off the alarm and roll over!!

Albury was not as bad as Daylesford earlier in the year (cringing at the memory :scared:) where I remember taking shelter in the chicken shed and running through ankle deep water in Generals!!

One of my first shows was during a huge thunderstorm, with lightening etc, at Bulla. Rained so much that they had to get the tractor out to pull cars out of the carpark. That was a bit full on, but we didn't head home! LOL

On the other hand, showing when its FREEZING and windy I'm not a fan of at all! :laugh:

I'll show in the rain if I'm already there. If its sprinkling when we leave home fine... if its pouring when we wake up... I turn off the alarm and roll over!!

Albury was not as bad as Daylesford earlier in the year (cringing at the memory :scared:) where I remember taking shelter in the chicken shed and running through ankle deep water in Generals!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think I ditched my shoes at one point, whats the point when you are stacking your dog in a lake :rofl:

I'll answer with depends, if it is was a local show at Bulla with a local judge I would stay at home but if it was an international judge, a weekend away or a special show I would go, and yes I have a coated breed that takes hours to prepare and yes I would still be in a suit, shoes well it would depend :D

We showed at Albury, on the weekend and come prepared with gumboots. I still dressed in a pants and skirt suit on all three days, but day 2 & 3 had my gummies on. I will be taking my Gumboots to Horsham and Hamilton too in the next few weeks. Hopefully i wont need to use them!

I had not actually packed footwear suitable for the mud but I had all my gear inside the front door and when my husband packed the car, he picked up my herding boots and out them in too. Just as well or my brand new sneakers would have been ruined.

My precious little man looked less than impressed with the mud, he carefully picked his feet up and moved them to clumps of grass when Lyndsay was trying to stack him.

I had not actually packed footwear suitable for the mud but I had all my gear inside the front door and when my husband packed the car, he picked up my herding boots and out them in too. Just as well or my brand new sneakers would have been ruined.

My precious little man looked less than impressed with the mud, he carefully picked his feet up and moved them to clumps of grass when Lyndsay was trying to stack him.

:laugh: He so did! :laugh:

I answered the poll 'the way it was'lol. Nothing kept me home from a show years back but now I've turned into a weather wooze - too hot, too cold, too wet and this little old girl is home.

I showed Afghans, Rough Collies, Border Terriers over the years and have plowed through some horrendous weather. Showing the Affies and Collies, found I just couldn't run in gumboots so those were bare footed excursions. Remember after one show stopping at a 24hr

supermarket to buy a whole set of clothes as the 2 changes I had with me were dripping and it was a 3 hour drive home.

But it was fun :thumbsup:

Normal show outfit here in the light rain... bugger showing a Chinese Crested in anything other than a light shower, he would shiver and vibrate his way out the ring.

Edited by Shaar