How Do You Deal With How Other Ppl "discipline" Your Dogs?

BC Love

To the people who say 'you should have control of your dog at all times', this is in the OP's home, she isn't taking him down to the local park and letting him terrorise the local children. Training takes time, and pups don't always have the best self-control.

Exactly! Which is why the OP may need to use physical control/restraint ... so puppy is not able to make mistakes/learn bad habits :)

Excellent point!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter what you do with your pup, that is not the issue here.

The fact is that your neighbour obviously has no respect at all for you to even be saying this.

If your pup has been terrorising & jumping all over his children, which I doubt is the case, he should not be bringing his children over to your house.

It is not his place to discipline or hit your pup other than saying no or down or ah ah etc if it jumps on one of his children & is at risk of knocking them over then if you don't do anything or it is a constant problem he should go home with them & not come back, it is not his house or place to discipline anything.

This is the main thing Im still seething about! OH has noticed I have "not been myself" this afternoon - so I have laid it down for him!! He is going to have a chat to the neighbour tonight.

Sorry, but your dog should not be jumping on any children.

Correct your dog.

I would love to know an effective (as mine obiously are not lol) way of correcting him so he stops.

Its not constant jumping either..

Correct your dog.

I would love to know an effective (as mine obiously are not lol) way of correcting him so he stops.

One method is to fold your arms, keep quiet, and turn to the side. It isn't rewarding for the dog. Another way is to raise your knee so that dog contacts that instead of your hands or body. That is also unrewarding for the dog.

I would ask the man and his kids to stay away, and not use them for training. Practice with your own family, so you can control the excitement level of your dog. A dog is not in a 'learning to be calm' frame of mind when excited kids are running around making noise and playing. Kids excite dogs, and by you having these children over playing at your house nearly every day, your dog may be getting overstimulated by them.

Your dogs jumps on people, so provide fewer opportunities for this to happen and it won't become such an ingrained habit. The dog needs to learn other ways to get attention because at the moment the jumping up may be working very well for it.

Also, have a look at this link. NILIF.

I think everyone has been through what you are going through. My Shelley use to be a bad and jump on people, We tryed raising of the knee,turning our backs,walking away from her none of that worked she still would jump up on us. So what I did was when she came runing towards me I told her sit which she did. I first just worked with her myself slowly introducing a new person, When she would go towards the person I would tell Shelley sit, I told the person which would be my mum or other family member that if she doesn't sit do not pay any attention to her don't even look at her. Took a couple of times for Shelley to get the idea. Within about a week or 2 Shelley would go up to people and sit and wait for a pat.

Correct your dog.

One method is to fold your arms, keep quiet, and turn to the side. It isn't rewarding for the dog. Another way is to raise your knee so that dog contacts that instead of your hands or body. That is also unrewarding for the dog.

I would ask the man and his kids to stay away, and not use them for training. Practice with your own family, so you can control the excitement level of your dog. A dog is not in a 'learning to be calm' frame of mind when excited kids are running around making noise and playing. Kids excite dogs, and by you having these children over playing at your house nearly every day, your dog may be getting overstimulated by them.

Your dogs jumps on people, so provide fewer opportunities for this to happen and it won't become such an ingrained habit. The dog needs to learn other ways to get attention because at the moment the jumping up may be working very well for it.

Also, have a look at this link. NILIF.

I think that's what she means by "being a tree"

Whatever you do, make sure everyone does it. From experience it doesn't help unless everyone sticks to the same method (for example, you do it, but your partner pats the dog when he jumps up - :rolleyes: which doesn't help at all)

Edited by Cat

My dogs don't get discipline from anyone but me, mostly because Carl would bite anyone who tried to physically correct him (badly abused). They wouldn't need to in the first place, anyway; all of my dogs are trained not to jump up, beg for food, steal toys, etc. :)

If I had a dog who jumped on people, I would expect that they might give it a push away or growl at it, but there is a limit.

If the neighbour and his kids are at your place with your permission ie you haven't asked them to leave, and they're not trespassing, then it's up to you to control your dog and make sure it doesn't harrass or bite (mouth) anyone whether or not damage is done.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/caa1998174/s16.html

It's really important you protect the dog. Training, supervision or removal from the play are your best options.

I agree with the others that you need more than just "be a tree". Definitely need to stop the (self) reinforcement ie dog on lead, dog rewarded for what you do want ie a nice sit. Or only jumping with permission (eg on command).

If I'm not in control of my dog, and it jumps on.annoys someone - then if they push /hit the dog .. it's my fault. ;) I can ask people to not pat/discipline my dog while it's on leash or under my control ..but if I'm not looking .. then I need to acccept that something I don't approve of may happen. My problem.

Don't agree. Parents are supposed to control their kids too. But if a snotty kid jumped on me in the park and I pushed him/her away or hit the kid, would you consider it ok? Granted the kid was invading my personal space and the parents weren't in control, but my reaction would have been excessive compared to the action that caused it.

Same applies to dogs, particularly puppies. Why would we ever think it's ok to hit or kick a little puppy in its own home by an adult human being who is in no danger, just because the adult seems to be annoyed? I don't put that much value on a human being's inconvenience over an animals's well being.

Personally - I've someone felt the need to discipline Dory I would assume one of two things.

A) I wasn't paying attention to her and what she was doing.

B) They were a D!ck.

If it was A) Then depending on what she was doing it would be a fair cop. Although I would prefer that they address me to discipline her rather than they do that themselves. (Unless she was jumping on them, then they can growl at her, but HANDS OFF).

If it was B) she most likely wouldn't be near them in the first place. Because if a D!ck were to come to my house, then Dory is outside or in a crate. I take no chances on nothing. If it was one we were to meet on a walk...well she's on a lead anyways and Dory generally doesn't like people to pat her on walks. If it's the Dog Park, she is a dog and person snob and goes near nobody and down the beach she is too busy sniffing and is also very disinterested in people.

If she were a puppy and I had kids over. I'd have to say that she would not be mixing with them unless i was present and if she was jumping all over the place like an idiot, she'd be on a lead or in a crate. I would try and get the kids involved in teaching her to sit still and be calm. But it would be a very organised and supervised affair and she would still most likely be on a lead to minmise the risk of silliness.

But that is just me.

Thanks so much for all of the replies and the links!!!

Neighbour was over playing pool with OH last night - and Hubby got right up him for upsetting me (Im not usually so precious about things!!) and told him straight that he is NOT allowed to hit our dog and to respect our positive training methods or dont be a visitor.

In saying that, OH and I have a plan, let me know what you think :)

I have purchased a long leash so if need be he can be on lead with OH or I when visitors come over. I have also bought 2 (I think they are show leads?) leads that just slip quickly over the head to have at the front door and back gate - so they are ready to put straight on Roy when visitors come over. I have always made visitors ignore him until he is exibiting nice behavior (sitting waiting patiently) so the lead should re inforce this (I think).

He has ongoing training (with me), plus he has been to puppy training, and we are starting an advance puppy course this weekend :)

I had to work hard with my German Shepherd on her jumping. It took a while, but we got it under control. We did NILIF and she learnt that jumping did not get her attention..also made sure learning was done in a controlled environment which set her up to succeed. That said, if she is over excited she is at risk of jumping-- simple solution- I step back and no one approaches or pays her attention until she is calm.

I think given that you have children, you definitely want to get on top of the jumping-- Good luck with it :thumbsup:. Your dog is going to be a member of your family for quite a few years, grow up with your children and assuming your children have friends over- will be exposed to other children.

Good Luck with your training, it can be done..I struggled with it for a while, but once shown by a trainer it all fell into place rather quickly.

I had to work hard with my German Shepherd on her jumping. It took a while, but we got it under control. We did NILIF and she learnt that jumping did not get her attention..also made sure learning was done in a controlled environment which set her up to succeed. That said, if she is over excited she is at risk of jumping-- simple solution- I step back and no one approaches or pays her attention until she is calm.

I think given that you have children, you definitely want to get on top of the jumping-- Good luck with it :thumbsup:. Your dog is going to be a member of your family for quite a few years, grow up with your children and assuming your children have friends over- will be exposed to other children.

Good Luck with your training, it can be done..I struggled with it for a while, but once shown by a trainer it all fell into place rather quickly.

Thanks Brennan's Mum - nice to know others have gone throught this too!! I read an earlier link on NILIF - a bit we already do and more we can start on!! Cant wait to speak to the trainer this weekend at the advance puppy class to see what they think I should be doing too :)