Are Frozen Chicken Necks Ok?

Chester (9 week old golden retriever) LOVES chicken necks. If he eats a fresh one its gone in about 3-5 bites, roughly 4 seconds. Half frozen is gone in about 15 seconds, and frozen is about 3 minutes and lots of chewing.

But is it ok for him to have a frozen one? Will it hurt at all?

Also, we gave him 3 the other day and it kind of constipated him a small bit, like he took a lot longer doing his business than normal. Will this get better with time or do we have to kind of get him used to eating them?

Thank you!

Frozen is fine :)

working a bit to poo is a good thing .. it helps squeeze out those anal glands ;) Constipation is NOT a good thing. ..and it's a balancing act to get it 'just right' Maybe just give him one or two as well as his kibble ...three when he's a bit older....

I don't really think he got constipated, he is fine this morning, just yesterday while watching him poo, it took him a good minute or two to get it all out, very solid poo. I'm just stressing I guess :o

Thank you! I thought it might be bad for his teeth as a frozen neck is quite hard!! Glad to know he can eat them!! Thank you!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with goldengirl. A chicken neck is a pretty puny thing for anything much bigger than a toy breed puppy, I would be giving him a turkey neck or chicken carcase - that's a whole meal in itself and will really give him something to chew and concentrate on.

Edited by Sandra777

I'd give half a frame over necks... The pups inhale them too quickly.

Grumpy, they are given whole, as they're only small and there's potential for choking, even moreso if you cut them up as some dogs will try and eat them whole and not chew them.

have to agree with the others. I believe for a golden puppy a chicken neck/wing/drumstick is too small and has a high chance of choking if swollowed whole. I would opt for the chicken frame, turkey neck or even a briskett bone