Deciding On A Breed To Suit

lopolla

Is the GSD an outside only dog or will both dogs share the same routine during the day(inside)out)??

Our Greys get on like a house on fire with any of our other dogs but generally they self exercised doing zoomies in the backyard & then veged out on the lounge the rest of the time.

My dog is an inside and outside dog, they will share the same routine. She definitely needs another friend to run around the backyard with her, she is super fast and does laps of the yard sometimes.

I'm completely biased but I thought I'd chime in :D

My male kelpie's best friend is a GSD - they have similar play styles and are roughly the same size (although the GSD is a lot more solid), so they're a good match.

Kelpies are very easy to train and also likely to be reliable off lead (once trained) as they are bred to take commands from a distance. I recently found out I can put my 15 month old boy in a down-stay from halfway across an oval (very proud). My kelps get almost all their excercise off lead, plus chasing each other around the yard.

My girl does run like a whippet :laugh: Whippets and Iggys are the only dogs that can keep up with her.

Plus you can almost always find one in rescue, poor sprockets.

Up until 2 years ago we had a german shepherd and her friend was a pointer. It worked really well, pointers are up for lots of games and had no problem playing with the shepherd.Pointers are high energy and playful but with soft temperments usually. Big lap dogs in the house.

My Whippets recall exceptionally well but have been trained for it from 8 weeks and are still higly reinforced for it. Having said that I would not let them do off lead zoomies at a park that was not fenced, they cover an amazing amount of ground in a very short time.

My Whippets would not like the style of play I have seen from Shepherds.

A frined has a smaller Shepherd bitch and a rather large male GAP greyhound and they get on really well.

thanks all for the suggestions, so many ideas, ill have to have a chat to the other half about it. i personally would like a dog thats easy to train and recall. but im sure we will find the right match!

I think Greyhounds and GSD's go very well together having had both for some years at the same time. I have read of many people owning both breeds with much success. Never heard/read of a negative which is not to say it hasn't/couldn't happen.

I agree with a Boxer or a Vizsla.I don't think you can have a greyhound off lead they can take off accross roads.In our area greyhounds must wear a muzzle when out walking.

that is something i worry about, a greyhound may not have good recall, especially if we rescue one!

in Victoria you can not legally let your dog off lead in a public place and they must wear a muzzle unless they have been assessed by GAP, ( if you don't get a grey direct from GAP )

I agree with a Boxer or a Vizsla.I don't think you can have a greyhound off lead they can take off accross roads.In our area greyhounds must wear a muzzle when out walking.

that is something i worry about, a greyhound may not have good recall, especially if we rescue one!

in Victoria you can not legally let your dog off lead in a public place and they must wear a muzzle unless they have been assessed by GAP, ( if you don't get a grey direct from GAP )

fair enough, thanks for that info!

thanks all for the suggestions, so many ideas, ill have to have a chat to the other half about it. i personally would like a dog thats easy to train and recall. but im sure we will find the right match!

If the main prerequisites are these and as a running friend for the GSD, I too think another working dogs would be great, kelpie, ACD or BC and agree with the person who said there are SO MANY of these types who need a good home :o If you get a 'rescue' dog you can usually have a trial and in this way could see how the two dogs get on. Sometimes dogs just dont 'click' no matter what breed, even the same breed. The three breeds I mentioned are easy to train and if trained, have great recall.

I love greys to bits :D

Vizslas and boxers are great too (and all others mentioned), vizslas are extremely demanding and like to be with their humans.. :eek::laugh: whereas the working dogs I've had are a little more independent..

Good luck :D

If the main prerequisites are these and as a running friend for the GSD, I too think another working dogs would be great, kelpie, ACD or BC and agree with the person who said there are SO MANY of these types who need a good home :o If you get a 'rescue' dog you can usually have a trial and in this way could see how the two dogs get on. Sometimes dogs just dont 'click' no matter what breed, even the same breed. The three breeds I mentioned are easy to train and if trained, have great recall.

I love greys to bits :D

Vizslas and boxers are great too (and all others mentioned), vizslas are extremely demanding and like to be with their humans.. :eek::laugh: whereas the working dogs I've had are a little more independent..

Good luck :D

yeah im part of a rescue group so no all about the trials etc, we've also had foster dog here recently who was great. in the end it will come down to individuals dog, but just thought id get an idea of what other people thought. thanks :)

Sorry to hijack... I dont have any experience with greyhounds....

but what is with the muzzles? Are they prone to insinctively nip or bite?

I get the requirment to be on leash at all times due to their inconsitent recall...

Can someone explain a little...they are so elegant..

Sorry to hijack... I dont have any experience with greyhounds....

but what is with the muzzles? Are they prone to insinctively nip or bite?

I get the requirment to be on leash at all times due to their inconsitent recall...

Can someone explain a little...they are so elegant..

it's a hang over from the olden days. Australia is one of only 2 countries in the world that require retired greys to be muzzled, think the other is Ireland. All the states have different requirements re muzzle's and off leash.

If they are required to be on leash because their recall is inconsistent then that would apply to the vast majority of dogs :rofl:

gsds are loyal and devoted

so maybe you should go for something like a sighthound that is a bit more aloof

to avoid that jealousy issue

ok i know that people here will say that dogs arent jealous...but whatever that behaviour is...where they get very antsy if another dog comes in for a pat...

ive seen salukis play

basically just run ragged...with dogs after them

that might work

but whatever you do...avoid another female

and remember it may be a big failure so you might have two dogs that dont really play at all

we have several dogs here

not one of them plays with the others

they get along but none play

one of them plays with us

the rest dont play

at all

lol

all that company and they get along and sleep together and eat together but the playfulness left when they stopped being puppies

try a grey

i have seen one that plays at the dog park sometimes

but usually she just hangs with the owner...