How Much Grooming?

Jumabaar

Zeus absolutely loves to be brushed however having a short beagle x JRT coat it doesn't really require much grooming at all. Kirah on the other hand is a wire coat Aussie Tee and I've been brushing her daily on my dad's work bench in the garage. When Zeus sees me grab the brushes and combs he jumps up on the bench and stands all proud waiting to be brushed before I can get to Kirah.

He's my princess! :D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kivi is another Lappie that believes grooming is a sick form of torture I devised to show him how little I love him. Doesn't matter how gentle I am, he cries as if I am tearing his hair out. He cries before I actually touch him sometimes. He will sit through it since I got the expensive CC brushes and combs, but he regularly objects just so I know how cruel I am. He has several methods of passive resistance mastered. His specialty is resting his head heavily on the hand holding the brush and shooting me "clearly you hate me" looks. If I ignore them he starts pushing his head down against my hand until I start getting muscle fatigue.

Erik, on the other hand, gets all dopey when he even sees a brush and has had to be taught to lie down and wait his turn or he literally flops directly on the part of Kivi I am brushing between brushstrokes. Kivi considers this an act of immense loyalty and altruism and will happily let Erik squirm all over him getting under the brush wherever I move it. Erik is also known to bite Kivi's feet until he gets up and moves so Erik can lie down in front of the brush. So that is why Erik has been brought to understand that if he wants a brush he downs beside us and waits patiently. When it's his turn he lolls all over the place limply, but I think the sensation is actually a little intense for him because he can't stay still for long and has to wriggle and roll over and get up and lie down again and flop in my lap and slide out of it and generally make the whole process quite ridiculous and exasperating.

Dee lee Abby used to hate the pin brush, until I got Demi her fancy one lol.

Ah, I see... It's the inferior tools she objects to. :laugh:

Well, it is time I replaced it. Do you think gold plated with bling might be more appealing? :laugh:

James wants it to be known that Labradors require no grooming :thumbsup:

When he needs a brush I end up chasing him around outside until he's cornered. Upon which he sits down looking dismayed. Brushing him is not the funnest of tasks :o

:laugh:

Mindy is a bit like this, she also has sensitive skin because of her allergies

Although she likes being brushed with her shedding rake.

Luckily labs don't really need and "brushing" as such.

James might prefer a grooming mit as it is more like storking the dog than actual brushing.

I only have to say the word 'dog show' and all three of my dogs run to the garage spinning in circles wanting to be the first on the table.

Archer will jump on any table we walk past thinking he is going to get groomed :rofl:

Know the feeling. We have one bitch here that jumps onto a kennel then into the hydrobath everytime I walk past it. And that could be ten or twenty times a day. But she still keeps jumping in anyway.

:rofl: That's Archer. Every time I go outside he runs to the table on the patio and jumps up. The funny thing is he has never ONCE been brushed on that table, but assumes any table is a grooming table :laugh:

While Dusty loves getting brushed and trimmed and primped up for a show, she absolutely does not embrace a bath with the same feelings. I don't have a hydrobath so I use the local coin operated dog wash to give the dogs a regular bath. Dusty gets in reluctantly and then proceeds to sit there with a very unimpressed expression on her face while she's bathed. In fact her expression reads "I hate you with every ounce of my being and if I could kill you by looking at you, I'd do exactly that!"

Any treats she's offered are immediately spat out the side of her mouth, because you can't possibly chew treats when your jaw is clenched tight in utter disgust.

Isaak also hates the bath but he just sits there looking like a big, sad, wet goober. No hate coming from him, just sheer unadulterated misery.

Poppy adores being groomed. I had to physically remove her from the grooming table today while trimming Aussies.

Holly hates baths but she LOVES the dryer, and being hand dried with towels. If someone else is being dried with a towel she shoves her nose or butt into the towel and rubs herself on it.

whippet...............water......................grooming...... ...........mutally exclusive................nuff said!

Lol! :rofl:

Bruno says grooming is for dogs that have hair.

Water is only fun when you bite it straight from a hose. And I'm too busy playing with my toys right now anyway....:laugh:

One day at a dog show, I was sitting waiting for group judging, which was hours away given that Aussies are pretty much first up. The lady in the gazebo opposite me had a whippet which she popped onto a grooming table and proceeded to groom. I thought "Well, this is going to be quick, what can you do with a whippet?" but no.....it took her the best part of two hours. She brushed and polished and buffed and sprayed and dabbed and applied product after product, and I watched in absolute fascination as bottle after brush after spray after cloth was produced from her voluminous grooming bag and used on the dog.

And at the end, the whippet looked exactly the same as when she'd started, and all I could think was "Oh dear, she probably needs an Old English Sheepdog, at least they look different after two hours of grooming!" LOL!

Hudson doesn't really like the daily pin brush to make sure he isn't matted.. I am trying to get him used to it for shows!

He had his first bath yesterday and LOVED it, although he was not as keen on the hair dryer! But the towel rub he did love. :D

Nails he was also perfect, a little wriggly but not trying to get away, just his normal wriggly self!

I am thinking of getting him a grooming table to make my life a little easier! Anyone think this makes it a lot better?

Kaos is scared of the brush, so she has never been done! i get it and she shakes and carries on.. i just give her a rub over with a dry towel!

Atlas and the 3 cats all fight over me if i get the furminator out, they all love it and i have to lock them in different rooms so i can do one at a time!

Thankfully my dogs love being groomed and are very easy to groom. they will stand forever and will jump on their table and into their slightly raised bath.

I often use the blower just to give them a quick blast, they will all try to get into position and push one another out of the way for the blower. they love it.

I have to brush/comb my dogs weekly and I blow them a lot during the week, it keeps them clean

The less the better as far as my 2 are concerned.

When I first got my girl she was terrified if someone approached her with anything in their hand and a sense of purpose. It took 3 weeks and lots of food before I could brush her. These days she tolerates it, but not with much enthusiasm, about the same interest level as ear cleaning.

My boy used to be good until I cut his quick while nail trimming :( We're still building back trust for all grooming activities.

Baths elicit looks of complete betrayal.

They're happy for a good towelling off after the beach tho :D little Fox goes all wiggly when I towel her backside.

Hudson doesn't really like the daily pin brush to make sure he isn't matted.. I am trying to get him used to it for shows!

He had his first bath yesterday and LOVED it, although he was not as keen on the hair dryer! But the towel rub he did love. :D

Nails he was also perfect, a little wriggly but not trying to get away, just his normal wriggly self!

I am thinking of getting him a grooming table to make my life a little easier! Anyone think this makes it a lot better?

I have a "grooming table" made from an ex-office display hutch.......it's about hip height, it has a good broad flat surface and underneath it has a lot of pigeon-hole type shelves for keeping things tidy. It was originally used in a display home reception room for holding brochures, business cards and house plans. My husband got it for free when the display home was sold as a family residence and he was employed by the building company to remove all their stuff.

It definitely makes grooming easier and the dogs are more comfortable than on the floor. I have a grooming shed where I keep all my stuff so my "table" is a permanant fixture there. A fold away one might be better if you don't have space.

Rogue despises it ... it means gripping her collar and a lot of 'OI STAND STILL YOU IDIOT' just because I'm trying to strip out the damn dead undercoat she's leaving all over my house. Her Aunt is better at least she appreciates the Noahs version of the Furminator twice a year. The rottie and DDB I dont think I hydrobath and blow dry more then 3 times a year.

Low maintenance FTW :laugh:

One day at a dog show, I was sitting waiting for group judging, which was hours away given that Aussies are pretty much first up. The lady in the gazebo opposite me had a whippet which she popped onto a grooming table and proceeded to groom. I thought "Well, this is going to be quick, what can you do with a whippet?" but no.....it took her the best part of two hours. She brushed and polished and buffed and sprayed and dabbed and applied product after product, and I watched in absolute fascination as bottle after brush after spray after cloth was produced from her voluminous grooming bag and used on the dog.

And at the end, the whippet looked exactly the same as when she'd started, and all I could think was "Oh dear, she probably needs an Old English Sheepdog, at least they look different after two hours of grooming!" LOL!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That is VERY funny. My show prep is day before scrub the dog, day of show chalk white bits of Lewis , Rommi doesn't have enough, then a light spray over of shiney stuff, then we are off :)

Maybe I need to try harder????

I have a "grooming table" made from an ex-office display hutch.......it's about hip height, it has a good broad flat surface and underneath it has a lot of pigeon-hole type shelves for keeping things tidy. It was originally used in a display home reception room for holding brochures, business cards and house plans. My husband got it for free when the display home was sold as a family residence and he was employed by the building company to remove all their stuff.

It definitely makes grooming easier and the dogs are more comfortable than on the floor. I have a grooming shed where I keep all my stuff so my "table" is a permanant fixture there. A fold away one might be better if you don't have space.

I have an old table out the back that I use for grooming at home, and a proper grooming table that I take to shows. I also have a trolley, which I love! Trolley comes to every show, the table comes out when I have a few dogs to groom. Trolleys are very, very handy things to have, but if you get one, don't get a cheapie.

Edited by Lyndsay

LOL show day grooming-

Demi gets brushed the night before (will have to make an effort to wash her for the first time in three months of so for the spring fair), and maybe a 5min brush before we go in, more to make her tail fluffy again.

Kelpies usually get a lead thrown on them as we rush down to make the ring on time!! And yes- Abby demands a brush after I have finished Demi, even if she isn't being shown or needs to go back in.

I got a nice comment about my 5mth old kelpie pups a few weeks ago- how glossy and shiny their coats were. I was asked what I washed them with only to admit they had NEVER had a bath. A few spot cleans when they rolled in something nasty. I felt a little guilty so they got washed the next week- Izzy was done first and spent the entire time that I was washing Franky (who refused to look at me) trying to get back into the shower for another turn!! Even now you have to watch it that Izzy doesn't try and get into the bathroom/shower whenever possible!!

ETA- grooming table makes my life easier with Demi she spins around and generally acts silly on the ground but settles very quickly on the table.

Edited by ~Woofen~