Dog Jumps Fence To Attack Another

Rozzie

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if the OP is still onboard, but it would be good to suggest Husky Rescue to the neighbor. Lots of people fall in love with the image of a husky and are totally unable to cope with the realities of owning one. Sounds like the neighbor's dog is as much a victim as a perpetrator. The best solution would be to get him to a home that understands huskies (the breed and deed often go together . . . though not always and the right owner can make a lot of difference). If no such home is available, PTS may be the best option.

No way in the world would I suggest the Husky needs rescuing. It needs PTS. Owners are dickheads and this dog has killed before.

My daughter is distraught and her kids are traumatised.

I'd say husky rescue would be in better position to make this decision than we are. They get lots of dogs with a history of problems and may put many -- including dogs like the one in question -- in the 'too hard' basket and recommend PTS. On the other hand, they may know of huskies who killed when confined and given no stimulation, but became decent dogs in another setting. I don't know. Can a big dog who has had 'dickhead' owners, and has come to view small dogs as 'prey' be reformed? I'm sure there are many dogs who would have killed a little dog, but were prevented from doing so because they were well fenced and kept on leads. My dogs kill loads of rodents and the occasional rabbit. If I moved to the suburbs and they got a pet rabbit, should they be PTS? Who knows what is going on in a dog's mind? Who knows how much of behaviour is innate and how much in conditioned by environment?

I'd say husky rescue would be in better position to make this decision than we are. They get lots of dogs with a history of problems and may put many -- including dogs like the one in question -- in the 'too hard' basket and recommend PTS. On the other hand, they may know of huskies who killed when confined and given no stimulation, but became decent dogs in another setting. I don't know. Can a big dog who has had 'dickhead' owners, and has come to view small dogs as 'prey' be reformed? I'm sure there are many dogs who would have killed a little dog, but were prevented from doing so because they were well fenced and kept on leads. My dogs kill loads of rodents and the occasional rabbit. If I moved to the suburbs and they got a pet rabbit, should they be PTS? Who knows what is going on in a dog's mind? Who knows how much of behaviour is innate and how much in conditioned by environment?

There is already a surplus of Huskies with stable temperaments needing rehoming, why bother rehoming a proven killer? so it can kill some more small animals?

so sorry to read about poor Sarge I agree the husky needs to be PTS

it tried to get poor Sarge once and then came back to have another go

why would you want to rehome a dog like this ( when plenty of good dogs are looking for homes )

I really hope the owners get a HUGE fine not that this will help poor Sarge or his family and what they are going through

sending hugs to you all

grouphug.gif

run free Sarge rainbowbridge.gif

Out of interest, it was 10 months ago the dog first jumped the fence and attacked Sarge........what's happened in the 10 months since that kept Sarge safe until now??.

what is the aim of your questions? You seem to be inferring that the owner of Sarge is to blame?

No responsible rescue group would rehome a dog with that history. It is highly unethical to rehome dogs that are fence jumpers or who have such a high prey drive that they will kill other dogs.

Best practice in rescue is to take the history of a dog and to use that as part of assessment, and so this dog would instantly fail any proper assessment.

The best indicator of future behaviour is past behaviour, and so if an organisation did sell this dog or place it in another home they would be found liable if ever there was trouble. It doesn't matter whether the behaviour is inherent or learned, the fact is that this dog is highly unsuitable to be sold as a pet and can never be trusted.

My dogs kill loads of rodents and the occasional rabbit. If I moved to the suburbs and they got a pet rabbit, should they be PTS? Who knows what is going on in a dog's mind? Who knows how much of behaviour is innate and how much in conditioned by environment?

It is very irresponsible and downright dangerous to rehome a dog like this to pass the problem on to someone else. If you moved to the suburbs and your dog killed a pet rabbit, chooks or any other animal I owned (I don't own pet rabbits)in my own back yard then yes, I would want your dog PTS and would definitely report it to council. People and their pets have the right to enjoy their own backyards without the fear of a some neighbour's dog jumping the fence to attack.

I'm so sorry Rozzie.

No responsible rescue group would rehome a dog with that history. It is highly unethical to rehome dogs that are fence jumpers or who have such a high prey drive that they will kill other dogs.

Best practice in rescue is to take the history of a dog and to use that as part of assessment, and so this dog would instantly fail any proper assessment.

The best indicator of future behaviour is past behaviour, and so if an organisation did sell this dog or place it in another home they would be found liable if ever there was trouble. It doesn't matter whether the behaviour is inherent or learned, the fact is that this dog is highly unsuitable to be sold as a pet and can never be trusted.

It really is a case of a tragedy upon tragedy here..... .RIP Sarge AND it breaks my heart to consider the future for the Husky who was probably never given the opportunity to be a stable, relaxed dog.

Guest lavendergirl

It really is a case of a tragedy upon tragedy here..... .RIP Sarge AND it breaks my heart to consider the future for the Husky who was probably never given the opportunity to be a stable, relaxed dog.

The Husky will be PTS in a humane manner - unlike the terrible end the two little dogs endured.

RIP Sarge and RIP little maltese. :cry:

<br />Out of interest, it was 10 months ago the dog first jumped the fence and attacked Sarge........what's happened in the 10 months since that kept Sarge safe until now??.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

What difference does it make?

Out of interest, it was 10 months ago the dog first jumped the fence and attacked Sarge........what's happened in the 10 months since that kept Sarge safe until now??.

what is the aim of your questions? You seem to be inferring that the owner of Sarge is to blame?

Personally, If a next door neigbours dog had jumped my fence and attacked my dog previously, unless the situation had been rectified as in improved fencing or a secure run erected etc, I wouldn't take my dog into an area where it could be vulnerable to a repeat attack.

Personally, If a next door neigbours dog had jumped my fence and attacked my dog previously, unless the situation had been rectified as in improved fencing or a secure run erected etc, I wouldn't take my dog into an area where it could be vulnerable to a repeat attack.

So not the time or place for such a comment.

So not the time or place for such a comment.

Why............I am simply stating what I would have done in similar circumstances. To me it doesn't matter whether the dog shouldn't be allowed to jump the fence or whether my dog should be safe in it's own yard or whether the dog gets PTS and the owners get 20 years jail, it doesn't bring my dog back and with that said, I would take "extra" precuations given what happened previously and the potential of the dog re-offending.

You need to read posts better and work on your tact.

I read that the dog has killed before and the dog jumped the fence and attacked tells me that the dog is dangerous to other dogs and to be "extra" vigilant in taking precautions in this dogs presence. I was thinking given that it was 10 months ago this dog offended the first time, it may have been ok in the meantime and precautions relaxed a bit and poor Sarge was caught off guard..........I understand that scenario but we can only learn something from these terrible situations and perhaps re-think precautionary measures when living in close proximity to known dangerous dogs.

You know what, there is a guy who feels like crap because the dog jumped the fence when he was watching Sarge have a toilet break. There are three kids traumatised beyond belief and my daughter who is inconsolable. Poor bloody Sarge had to toilet sometime, where would you have suggested if not his own yard? Do you know how long this attack took? No.

Council had issued a warning after the attack in August last year. The dog had been 'restrained' for quite a long time. The dog is apparently now at a property 'in the country'. Owner will be fined $550.

This is of no comfort to my daughter. They haven't even come and apologised to her. Her little boy thought the Pets at Peace man was going to make Sarge better.

Was going to reply saying that sarge wasn't alone in the back yard, but you beat me to it.

$550 dollar fine that's disgusting. And they smuggled the dog off to where no one can find it to boot. They should have gotten a lot worse than that and the dog should be pts, not only has a much loved pet met a horrible end but people have been traumatized and scarred. These people need to be held accountable for what their dog did, instead they get a slap on the wrist.

You know what, there is a guy who feels like crap because the dog jumped the fence when he was watching Sarge have a toilet break. There are three kids traumatised beyond belief and my daughter who is inconsolable. Poor bloody Sarge had to toilet sometime, where would you have suggested if not his own yard? Do you know how long this attack took? No.

Council had issued a warning after the attack in August last year. The dog had been 'restrained' for quite a long time. The dog is apparently now at a property 'in the country'. Owner will be fined $550.

This is of no comfort to my daughter. They haven't even come and apologised to her. Her little boy thought the Pets at Peace man was going to make Sarge better.

Rozzie, I totally understand the trauma and it's an absolutely terrible situation that the owners of that dog are 100% responsible for poor Sarge's fatality. Perhaps Sarge could have been toileted in the front yard or in his own secure run although this shouldn't need to be the case, the situation highlights the gravity of living in close proximity to a dangerous dog what can happen, how fast it can happen and the fact that you can't take any chances in these situations in assumption of your dog's perceived saftey. I am not laying blame by any means towards your daughters supervision of Sarge as she probably went 10 yards to keep him safe, but with dog's like the one next door with the type of owners the dog had, sometimes you have to go 12 yards for effective safety in these circumstances??