Dog Jumps Fence To Attack Another

Rozzie

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M-sass has never shown any tact.

I'm sorry Rozzie. Please ignore him/her.

Yep, I already have them on ignore.

M-Sass is a troll who has been trolling DOL for a long time under many different user names.

I can't believe the owners got away with just a $550 fine :mad

I haven't been rude at all.........because I have a different outlook on the situation how does that makes me a troll??. The thread originally began where the dog (a known killer) jumped the fence and attack poor little Sarge, the thread is not in Rainbow Bridge which I understand as a place of support, sympathy and "tact". The point is regardless if anyone chooses to deny the facts or not, a known killer has done this deed before on Sarge, he was lucky the first time and the second attack was not random the way it see it, they knew of the dog's capabilities and potential danger where obviously what ever was done to ensure Sarge's future safety wasn't effective given that the dog did the same thing it did previously taking Sarge's life this time in what must have been a terrifying ordeal for poor little Sarge??.

So there's designated areas for sympathy? There's a word for you, but I won't say it or I'll get banned.

Guest lavendergirl

M-sass has never shown any tact.

I'm sorry Rozzie. Please ignore him/her.

Yep, I already have them on ignore.

M-Sass is a troll who has been trolling DOL for a long time under many different user names.

I can't believe the owners got away with just a $550 fine :mad

I haven't been rude at all.........because I have a different outlook on the situation how does that makes me a troll??. The thread originally began where the dog (a known killer) jumped the fence and attack poor little Sarge, the thread is not in Rainbow Bridge which I understand as a place of support, sympathy and "tact". The point is regardless if anyone chooses to deny the facts or not, a known killer has done this deed before on Sarge, he was lucky the first time and the second attack was not random the way it see it, they knew of the dog's capabilities and potential danger where obviously what ever was done to ensure Sarge's future safety wasn't effective given that the dog did the same thing it did previously taking Sarge's life this time in what must have been a terrifying ordeal for poor little Sarge??.

It it isn't the owners fault "legally" and a dog should be safe in it's own yard I agree, but when you have a strong jumper, a known killer that has tried the deed before on the same dog in the same circumstances if you don't take evasive action at a high enough level it's bound to happen again which it did is my opinion on the situation and I am sorry if people don't like my feelings on the matter. If this had been a "random" attack that hadn't occurred previously my thoughts would be totally different, but the fact is, Sarge's owners knew the capabilities of this dog and in my opinion, there was more that could have been done to ensure his safety........perhaps we can all learn from this??

I don't think you are trolling but just need to be aware that the family are probably beating themselves up enough about this anyway.

Its the Council involved who need a rocket about this - allowing the dog to be hidden away. The dog obviously sees small dogs as prey and will without doubt kill again given the opportunity. The Council is extremely negligent IMO.

Rozzie, I'm assuming this is NSW due to the amount of fine given out to the owner.

I would be pursuing it further.

Under the legislation, the dog could have been declared dangerous after it killed the first dog and kept in an enclosure.

I'm really surprised that it hadn't been declared dangerous upon attacking Sarge if it hadn't already, due to it being a second attack.

The fact that has attacked a THIRD time, and killed a second dog... that absolutely warrants a dangerous dog order under the legislation.

I think you should be sending written correspondence to the Council requesting the dog be declared dangerous.

Re: Destroying the dog - Council has no power to do so unless the owner surrenders the dog. However they did have the right to seize the dog and declare it dangerous, or seek a destruction order through the courts.

Edited by melzawelza

Huge hugs Rozzie to you, your daughters family and the housemate.

Rest easy over the rainbow bridge sweet little man :rainbowbridge:

Just disgusting that the neighbours were let off with a slap on the wrist and nothing was done about the attacking dog. I am so sorry about the lack of justice for poor Sarge and the other dog that lost its life.

Ive been reading this thread, Im so sad for you and your family Rozzie, my thoughts are with you.

I agree that it is appalling the small fine that the owners have received, this makes me so very angry.

I had a terrifying dog attack here in Perth,WA a few years ago where the dog dragged my dog across a busy road twice, then threw itself into my security screen 3 times trying to get inside my house to get at my badly injured pup. It left but then returned 5 minutes later and repeated slamming into the door. The rangers took that dog, gave it back to the owners who lived across the road, it got out again the very next day and again tryed to get to my house, it got hit by a car on its way across the road. It was injured but the owners were still able to keep it. I had told the council that it could get out, they said no, in their opinion it couldnt. I asked for it to be declared dangerous, the reply was, because the dog had no prior history (being unregistered with the council) it got a second chance, apparently the attack on my dog and I was only minor! If it had hurt me, it would have been a different situation so they said. The dog got out again a few week later, chased an elderly man and his small dog, my husband caught it before it made contact. It was taken to the pound again, and a week later assessed as being unsuitable for rehoming.No shit sherlock!!

The ranger resigned soon after.I had made complaints to my local member regarding the way the council treated the matter.

You could probably take it further, it sounds like she already has grieving children and a devestated housemate to deal with, I didnt take it further with my attack, I was quite traumatised and just didnt have the emotional energy to do it. I would have liked to, but I had to look after myself, my kids and my then dog who was scarred and never the same afterwards.

Maybe a letter to the local paper, the local member that sort of thing might help,but nothing will take the pain away unfortunately.

Once again, I am so sorry for your tragic and senseless loss xoxoxo

Rozzie, I'm assuming this is NSW due to the amount of fine given out to the owner.

The action by the Council is completely unacceptable, and I would be pursuing it further.

The dog should have been declared dangerous after it killed the first dog and kept in an enclosure.

It CERTAINLY should have been declared dangerous upon attacking Sarge if it hadn't already, due to it being a second attack.

The fact that has attacked a THIRD time, and killed a second dog... I am just dumbfounded that any Council would think a fine is adequate in this instance?

I think you should be sending written correspondence to the Council requesting the dog be declared dangerous or you will be suing the Council for negligence. (You probably could anyway).

If you need any advice re: the legislation please let me know. I'm a Companion Animal Officer.

Re: Destroying the dog - Council has no power to do so unless the owner surrenders the dog. However they did have the right to seize the dog and declare it dangerous, or seek a destruction order through the courts.

Local Government Association - (LGA) - Get your daughter to take up a complaint with them in regard to this matter, or the Ombudsman. The council is appears to be not following correct procedure.

The neighbours who owned the first dog killed did not report it.

I will let daughter know what you said melzawelza.

Thankyou.

No problems.

If the first attack wasn't reported then Council basically has to act like it hasn't happened as they have no evidence to show tha it has - unless the owner is willing to come forward now and give a statement etc.

In that regard if the previous attack on sarge was the first they'd heard of this dog I can *maybe* understand not declaring the dog at that point, depending on the severity of injury. If they hadnt gone with dangerous they had the choice of a control order through the courts or a nuisance order as well though.

Edited by melzawelza