Awesome Pro Pit Movie

Keira&Phoenix

Again, another bloody awful video which does the breed no favours. Chest leathers etc and was there a single collar that wasn't studded or a chain?

When will people learn :rolleyes:

I also found the dog fighting images upsetting, there are kids on this board - something to be mindful of.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have a problem with it.

I always find fighting footage stressful but this video wasn't the worst I've seen.

I don't see how the Tattoo's are a negative from a 'marketing' point of view. I don't get that at all actually.

I didn't have a problem with it.

I always find fighting footage stressful but this video wasn't the worst I've seen.

I don't see how the Tattoo's are a negative from a 'marketing' point of view. I don't get that at all actually.

For me it was a number of things.

1) The way the video was put together was not particularly effective. For example - all the 'negative' press that pitbulls get shown at the beginning - I think this could have been refuted a lot better and more clearly than it was in the video. It was just like the video maker went "first I'll show the bad press, but then I'll intersperse it with some other pro pitbull stuff and then I'll show some pitbull pics and then I'll show some clips/pictures of dogs fighting and then I'll show another cute puppy picture and then I'll show some tattoos." It lacked substance and lacked a real core argument and point IMO, it didn't really address any arguments put forth about banning pitbulls, it basically just showed some cute (in the video maker's opinion) pictures of pitbulls.

2) Showing pictures of pitbulls in heavy leather collars and harnesses, looking 'tough', displaying their power and athleticism and showing the many tattoos PB owners get of their dogs only enhances the opinion the general public have of the breed. If you want to make an anti-BSL, pro PB video, make it so it appeals to the general public not just people who already love the breed or disagree with BSL. Address the concerns the GP have of the breed rather than further encouraging the stereotypes associated with the breed and the people who own them.

3) What was the point of showing the dogs being used in dog fighting? IMO it wasn't clear. Was it to show us that people use them for the wrong reasons? If so, that's not going to convince the general public that BSL is wrong or ineffective. It just encourages their view that irresponsible people are drawn to the breed.

I could go on but I think I've made my point :) as I said, I understand that the video maker loves PBs and wants to make them look good but I think she missed the mark. People need to remember that this is not about convincing people who already love the breed that they are awesome but teaching Joe Bloggs that you run into on the street who knows nothing about the breed beyond what they read and see in the media that BSL is ineffective.

Tattoos are still associated with defiance, non-complaince, a rougher edge.

When linking things with a subject that you want to give a softer edge to, you don't select icons that go against the grain.

For example, when you think of the great outdoors and summer, you might picture a bbq or the beach. You might picture a swimming pool or a balnket under the shade of a tree. You wouldn't picture a snowman or blustery winds. You wouldn't picture a thick coat and a scarf.

If you want to convey a black box as something sweet and tasty, you might have chocolate or creamy custard filling the box or display images that relate to things that are sweet.

Edited by ~Anne~

Crikey Huski!! :laugh:

I honestly looked at it as a bit of you tube footage just like thousands of others so I didn't read too much into it to be honest.

No it's not going to change the world or win any awards but I don't think it harms the breed either.

Dickheads are always going to dress their dogs up in 'tough' type gear. I don't think that will ever change. It's certainly not just the APBT's that are dressed up like that.

I see your point though. Unfortunately I think the fate has been sealed for the APBT regardless.

Crikey Huski!! :laugh:

I honestly looked at it as a bit of you tube footage just like thousands of others so I didn't read too much into it to be honest.

No it's not going to change the world or win any awards but I don't think it harms the breed either.

Dickheads are always going to dress their dogs up in 'tough' type gear. I don't think that will ever change. It's certainly not just the APBT's that are dressed up like that.

I see your point though. Unfortunately I think the fate has been sealed for the APBT regardless.

I am sure many people don't read too much into it, but I was looking at it from a marketing perspective, and considering how effective a video like this will be for the target audience. I would assume that the maker of the video wasn't making it for people who already love the breed, she was making it for the general public who already have a set opinion about BSL and PBs.

Is reinforcing the opinions the GP have of the breed 'harming' it?

Not trying to pick on K&P either, but as she posted the video for general DOL opinion, I just thought I'd give my two cents. Who knows, perhaps it will encourage the video maker to think about making a video that is going to be more effective for their target audience :)

Edited by huski

Really? They are like bums these day's.

Yes, totally agree. As I said, I have a couple myself. Still, in the world of symbolism, they are not thought of as wholesome, family orientated images regardless of what you or I think of them and they are best not linked with a breed that currently is not thought of in a postive light.

Marketing is largely about perception.

Edited by ~Anne~

Really? They are like bums these day's.

Yes, totally agree. As I said, I have a couple myself. Still, in the world of symbolism, they are not thought of as wholesome, family orientated images regardless of what you or I think of them and they are best not linked with a breed that currently is not thought of in a postive light.

Marketing is largely about selling a perception.

Absolutely, and we have to consider the kind of target audience the video (I assume) was aimed at. The general public who already have a set perception about BSL, PBs and their owners.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will link this page to the author of the video so he can have a read and hopefully make a new and improved video that will appeal more to non PB people.

Melz understand completely. I will remove it now but it is still posted in multiple places on facebook which is going to get a massive audience as well so I would urge her to contact him asap.

Does not sound like the maker of the video received the necessary copyright permissions to use the photos in the video. Hope they have also received clearance from people like Steve Courtney to use his quote - the way it was used in that clip would lead someone to believe that the quote was made for that video.

First rule of quoting someone else - get their permission. Second rule is make sure you reference the source properly i.e when the quote was made and where it was published.

My view of the video (watching it with no sound) was that it did the breed no favours and showing the fighting was unnecessary.

Sorry if this has already been stated but I'm pretty sure I saw a DOL dog in the video... not sure if permission was asked or not but still...

I think I know which DOL dog you speak of and she knows her dog is incuded and thanked him for including the dog :)

He did actually get loads of great feedback on Facebook and people were even upset he didn't use their dogs LOL but obviously not everyone feels the same and i understand that.

He did actually get loads of great feedback on Facebook and people were even upset he didn't use their dogs LOL but obviously not everyone feels the same and i understand that.

But he's preaching to the converted (so to speak). I bet everyone on his FB viewing the video are pro-PB, anti-BSL. And if his target audience were people who already love the PB and see how BSL is ineffective, then I guess that's fine. I would assume that wasn't his target audience though and I guarantee he wouldn't get the same great feedback from the people it's aimed at :)

Does not sound like the maker of the video received the necessary copyright permissions to use the photos in the video. Hope they have also received clearance from people like Steve Courtney to use his quote - the way it was used in that clip would lead someone to believe that the quote was made for that video.

First rule of quoting someone else - get their permission. Second rule is make sure you reference the source properly i.e when the quote was made and where it was published.

My view of the video (watching it with no sound) was that it did the breed no favours and showing the fighting was unnecessary.

Do you actually need 'clearance' though to quote someone? I wouldn't have thought you did, particularly if the quote has already been 'quoted' and taken from another article.

Again, another bloody awful video which does the breed no favours.

Yep. I could see what he was trying to do but watching the vid from the point of the average Joe, really bad move. If you watch it that way, it just confirms all the frenzy at the moment to eradicate them. Sorry. I think it's a really (well done but) badly presented utube.

Again, another bloody awful video which does the breed no favours. Chest leathers etc and was there a single collar that wasn't studded or a chain?

When will people learn :rolleyes:

I also found the dog fighting images upsetting, there are kids on this board - something to be mindful of.

There were plenty!.........Seriously you need to take off those rose coloured glasses and put on some real seeing eye glasses

As for the chest leathers :laugh: why dramatize them? they're harnesses for god's sake! Nothing more nothing less

Don't do this...... don't wear that...... honestly :eek: has there ever been such a breed on this earth that can't even walk sideways without getting misconstrued!