Keen To Start Competing In Agility

Krustie - Is that the Metro comp? I though entries had closed????? I have not entered - I compete with ADAA and there is a comp the day before. But I was thinking I would come and have a look.

buddy1, the Metro comp on the 11th Sept is closed, I am entering the QLD State agility Fundraiser @ Metro on the 16th (closes Friday)! :) Jumpers and Strategic Pairs i think! Where is the ADAA one?

Thanks guys! I have worked out the forms now, and the club has said i can be measured if i get there early enough next weekend! :D

As for the vetting, i have been to watch a few trials now, and i have not seen this done yet, but i will make sure im there in time for that just in case! :rofl:

thanks for all the advice guys! its gonna be AWESOME! :laugh:

MY GOD...ADAA...ANKC...so much to know! :laugh:

Oh thanks for the reminder I have to enter EEP!!! LOL gotta love last minute entereies lol!

I think everyone has covered what you need to know :) if you ever wanna meet up chuck me a PM.. If your not busy this saturday there is an ADAA comp on at Pine Rivers Sports ground feel free to come say hi, alot of us on here do both ADAA and ANKC so are more then happy to help!

If not we shall see you on the 16th :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See you there! I get to play with a friend's Beardie in that comp - can't wait. :thumbsup:

The next ADAA trial is on Saturday this week at PADS, then the week after at Suncoast (Caboolture).

:eek: just promise you wont laugh at me too much! ;)

Don't worry Krustie, we've just started competing and having SOOOOO much fun (we even got our first clear round and qualie on the weekend just gone :D ). You will have a blast - i've only done ADAA trials so far, but will start going to some ANKC soon as well - agility is awesome :D and good luck for your first comp - we might see you there :D

What is the one on the 16th - i'm off to look.......

See you there! I get to play with a friend's Beardie in that comp - can't wait. :thumbsup:

The next ADAA trial is on Saturday this week at PADS, then the week after at Suncoast (Caboolture).

:eek: just promise you wont laugh at me too much! ;)

Don't worry Krustie, we've just started competing and having SOOOOO much fun (we even got our first clear round and qualie on the weekend just gone :D ). You will have a blast - i've only done ADAA trials so far, but will start going to some ANKC soon as well - agility is awesome :D and good luck for your first comp - we might see you there :D

What is the one on the 16th - i'm off to look.......

here is a link to the one on the 16th :)QSA Trial

we really do have a great time, and i think no matter what happens, we will have a blast on the 16th! :)

i think i am all set now, thanks everyone for their help! Cant wait to get out there and give it a go! :laugh: i get a real thrill out of watching all the dogs go through having a blast, and want my beefa girl to have that feeling too! hehe

I notice some people do both ADAA and ANKC...i know what they stand for, and been to the websites etc, but what are the main differences, and are there any advantages of one over another? Do you have to be registered with anyone different? Why do we have the 2 bodies for the same sport? Just curious! :laugh:

Why did you choose the one you compete in??

Edited by krustie22

I notice some people do both ADAA and ANKC...i know what they stand for, and been to the websites etc, but what are the main differences, and are there any advantages of one over another? Do you have to be registered with anyone different? Why do we have the 2 bodies for the same sport? Just curious! :laugh:

Why did you choose the one you compete in??

I compete in both, they both have their own advantages and disadvantages.

In terms of why there are two bodies - ADAA started because the people who started it wanted ALL dogs, not just ANKC registered dogs to be able to compete in agility and at the time there was no associate register in Queensland. ADAA is also affiliated with a different international body - again, one that is only interested in dog sports, not other elements of the dog world.

On trial day the reality is that there aren't that many real differences between the two - some of the rules are a bit different, but that is mostly technical stuff and the equipment is a little bit different as well, but experienced dogs don't really have a problem moving from one to the other Saturday to Sunday. (Slats on ADAA DW's, not on ANKC, different jump heights, weaver spacing - that sort of stuff.)

ADAA is my first choice - when I started out the only dog I had was not ANKC registered so it made more sense to play with ADAA clubs - that and the nearest one was 3 minutes up the road literally. Now I justify it mostly because I like ADAA's positive only training ethos more than the more old school obedience based regimes that many of the CCCQ clubs have. (Most, NOT all.) NOTE - I'm not advocating postiive only methods in all circumstances, but if you need to use aversives in agility training something is not right with the relationship you have with your dog. IMO - it should ONLY be about fun.

There are a host of other differences in the background (who runs the organisation, how it is run, how it is funded, requirements on clubs etc etc), titling is a little different as well, but ultimately from a competitor point of view, when you step up and start to run a course you are going to have fun with your dog in either environment.

ETA - ADAA is a bit cheaper as well. Entries are $4 per run with $50 membership for 3 years. CCCQ entries tend to be between $5 and $7 per run with $60 or something similar membership per year.

Edited by Agility Dogs

I do both. Mostly just to be able to go to more competitions and get more experience) :laugh: , since I only go to ones within Sydney (1hr15 mins is generally my limit from home with a bub)

Agility dogs has pointed out most of the differences (equipment - now to be more extreme with the weesaw in ANKC!, a couple of rules eg what happens if you miss a weave pole). I haven't seen people use aversives in agility regardless of code. Titles in ADAA are complicated - I have quite a few quallie cards but no idea whether it makes a title or not! whereas I have both my novice jumping and agility in ANKC. Your ANKC titles will go on your dog's ANKC pedigree but ADAA ones will not (or ADAC - another agility organisation)

For clarity - it's not at trials that I don't like aversives AND forcing dogs to do things (like being dragged through tunnels or across contacts. It's at training during foundation stages.

Both organisations are a great way to get out and have a ball with your dogs, they just approach it slightly differently.

I feel really lucky as the club I train with are all great people! Each have their own style of teaching, some i like, some i dont, but they are always happy to help or offer advice when i ask! :)

What is the rule with missing a weave pole? Mainly in ANKC as that is the one we have coming up!

Can anyone direct me to some good vids/info on teaching distance work? We want to do open jumpers as we like to think our weaves are so cute (considering it only took 2 weeks to teach) but i dont know how we will go with the exclusion zone. i am happy to ignore it and run with her if i need to, but id rather give it a crack first! :laugh:

CCCQ entries tend to be between $5 and $7 per run with $60 or something similar membership per year.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's bloody cheap! The cheapest we get these days is a $6.50/entry trial which is pass cards only, no ribbons or prizes. One club offered it as a one off this year due to the number of trials getting cancelled, the other is a small country club which runs a mini-trial.

Ours are usually $8 to $9 an entry, one or two city trials and a few country trials are up to $10 each. Many clubs offer extra Masters and Novice classes (& occasionally Excellent) so it's not unheard of to have 3 runs/class instead of 2. If it's a back to back trial, the cumulative entry fees for two dogs get quite big, and that's without entering Open. :eek:

I won't be doing ADAA, either. The weekends I don't have ANKC trials on, I could really spend doing the housework that gets neglected all the other weekends laugh.gif

While I love trialling, I do love trial free weekends when I can go about "normal" things and have a bit of a life outside trialling!

I'm considerig doing ADAA just so were not restricted to the ridiculous miniature see saw ankc are now having and their NFC rules are much better but can't see me getting around to joining for a while. Plus the different classes confuse me!

ETA also the entry costs are cheaper for adaa but I would have to drive further which puts me off a bit because I am slack

Edited by amypie

What is the rule with missing a weave pole? Mainly in ANKC as that is the one we have coming up!

In Open level at ADAA you need to complete the weaves or you get eliminated. If the dog gets the entry and then pops out you'll incur no more course faults regardless of how many times you try, you just have to get them done cleanly. (In starters you can do 6 weaves and keep going for one course fault or go back and correct them and as long as you end up getting them right you can still run clean.)

In ANKC once you have correctly got the entry you cannot repeat a weave you have already completed or you are eliminated - so you have to run your dog on or put them back in where they made their mistake. Either way you can't run clean.

Distance - I'm not sure. With my dogs it has come as our understanding of what we are doing together has improved. Others may have more/better advice. :)

In Open level at ADAA you need to complete the weaves or you get eliminated. If the dog gets the entry and then pops out you'll incur no more course faults regardless of how many times you try, you just have to get them done cleanly. (In starters you can do 6 weaves and keep going for one course fault or go back and correct them and as long as you end up getting them right you can still run clean.)

In ANKC once you have correctly got the entry you cannot repeat a weave you have already completed or you are eliminated - so you have to run your dog on or put them back in where they made their mistake. Either way you can't run clean.

Distance - I'm not sure. With my dogs it has come as our understanding of what we are doing together has improved. Others may have more/better advice. :)

The way I & others, I have spoken to about the new ANKC weave pole rule, is that once you enter the weaves correctly & he pops out, you can't put him back in at all. You have to keep going & it only incurs one course fault. If you put him back in where he came out or take him back to the start you are eliminated on both occassions. To me it is sending the wrong message, to let your dog keep running without having to do the weaves correctly. So it looks like if my dog pops out then we will always be eliminated, because I will never let her run on. Also, if popping out of the weaves & continuing only incurrs the same fault as a dog that does the weaves correctly but knocks a jump, then the dog that popped the weaves will have a faster time.

The way I & others, I have spoken to about the new ANKC weave pole rule, is that once you enter the weaves correctly & he pops out, you can't put him back in at all. You have to keep going & it only incurs one course fault. If you put him back in where he came out or take him back to the start you are eliminated on both occassions. To me it is sending the wrong message, to let your dog keep running without having to do the weaves correctly. So it looks like if my dog pops out then we will always be eliminated, because I will never let her run on. Also, if popping out of the weaves & continuing only incurrs the same fault as a dog that does the weaves correctly but knocks a jump, then the dog that popped the weaves will have a faster time.

Maybe, would be good to get some clarification from a judge though - the way I read this is that repeating any part of the weave poles is not OK, but doing the part that they have not done successfully is.

In the Weaving Poles, after the dog has entered correctly, the dog fails to negotiate a gap. No further penalties will be incurred for the dog not negotiating any other gapsDog must continue after missing a gap. Repeating any part of the weaving poles will be judged as wrong course

Either way, I'm splitting hairs and don't like the rule. My dogs will be going back to the start of the poles and doing them properly elimination or not.

sheena is right - after they get correct entry, if they pop out they get a fault and you are not allowed to put them in again anywhere, or you get disqualified. Like sheena, this means that I will disqualify myself and do the weaves properly if my dog pops out.