Abc News

Teebs

Great job sumosmum! Monty is gorgeous :thumbsup:

I hope that person from LDH wasn't actually a vet!

I saw he was Dr something but I sincerely hope he is a phD not a vet :(

Yep, he is a vet. He runs the shelter with the big kill rates. Does he even like animals? :mad

Yes, the shelter that kills something like 2 out of 3 dogs, and has millions of dollars of revenue annually. But apparently, all those dogs are Pit Bulls and their crossbred counterparts, hence why they are killed. Think of the children!?

You did so well Sumosmum!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great job sumosmum! Monty is gorgeous :thumbsup:

I hope that person from LDH wasn't actually a vet!

I saw he was Dr something but I sincerely hope he is a phD not a vet :(

Yep, he is a vet. He runs the shelter with the big kill rates. Does he even like animals? :mad

Yes, the shelter that kills something like 2 out of 3 dogs, and has millions of dollars of revenue annually. But apparently, all those dogs are Pit Bulls and their crossbred counterparts, hence why they are killed. Think of the children!?

You did so well Sumosmum!

Yeah you did a great job Sumosmum.

I can see how taking such a stance and inflaming the issue really serves the LDH very well. Handy little smoke screen.

Great interview! I especially liked the part where you mentioned dogs should be on lead unless in a designated area etc etc, shows that not all dog folk are irresponsible twats and some of us actually are responsible and are just as jacked off with the irresponsible owners who make the rest of us look bad!

:clap::clap::clap:

Well done SM, an awesome interview giving a level headed and well articulated view of the other side of these new DD laws.

I didn't realise the powers that be only have to use a visual ID package to determine if the dog is a 'pitbull type'. That is truly scary as it really is open to the ranger's interpretation. What happened to DNA testing to determine the breed?

Surely instead of seizing suspect dogs, they could do a swab test and then submit the sample. Based on the results of the DNA breed ID test, enforce the restricted breed management rules if applicable.

My heart breaks at the thought of a beloved staffy or a pitbull type dog being forcebly removed from it's home until it's breed is scientifically determined which could take weeks or longer.

I wish people would stop blaming the breed in general and start looking at enforcing responsible ownership. The 'if it quacks like a duck' comment belongs in the dark ages. Surely we have progressed in our thinking on this topic by now, kiddies. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dxenion

Very nicely done. So nice to see a well put forward voice of reason!

I really can't stand that "looks like a duck" line that keeps being trotted out. :mad

I havent looked into the standards for a long time, and living off no sleep and its 2am... but, what is the SBT or AmStaff Standard? Could you argue that if a dog fits those standards it is NOT a 'pitbull'? After all... if it looks like a duck....

Just sent this to the ABC investigative unit. Attached below is the shot I couldn't send to then. This IS a pit bull X (x basset). No way the new VIC laws would spot it. Cross breed appearance is complicated!!!

post-8994-0-24320900-1314987566_thumb.jpg

I'm a dual citizen [uSA/Oz] now living in the USA. I find the current VIC fiasco sooooo frustrating. There are lots of pit bulls around in the area I live in. Most of their owners are minimum wage earners and Hispanic (mostly Mexican). The pit bull here is accepted. The equally popular Chihuahua and chi-x dogs tend to be more vicious, but do no damage above the knee. Some pit bulls are problems cause they're not well socialized and tend to attack other dogs when confronted. But by-in-large, they are no more problem than the Staffie is in Australia. If you check the Australian Kennel Club registration statistics, you'll see that more Staffie pups were registered than pups of any other breed in 2010.

If ABC has a spare US reporter around, I'd recommend talking with pit bull rescue folks in the nearest convenient location. You'll find that what are identified as pit bull X dogs in places where there is no breed specific legislation, and thus, where people are not forced to lie to protect their pet, often look nothing like the posted VIC standard. I'm trying to paste in a picture of a basset x pit bull that no one would identify, but the software won't permit me to paste. I'll be happy to provide some photo evidence if you provide a way to do so. You'll also find that most pit bulls are great family dogs, but a few are awful. Most of the 'awful' group have irresponsible owners. A very few seem to have an inbred ferocity.

But holy moolie. Are you going to kill 50 beloved family pets to eliminate one dog that has aggression built into its genes? That sucks, especially as the bad genes that drive aggression show up occasionally in many (most?) breeds, including some innocuous breeds like the Golder Retriever and the Cocker Spaniel (do a google search on 'cocker spaniel rage' or 'aggression Golden Retriever' to find links) .

That poor scared white dog with the beautiful light brown eye markings in the pound cage... I got something in my eye at that point... probably not with us any more... *choke*

I'm glad that I'm in NSW right now - one of my girls fits the "look" on the "standard" sheets... and "dangerous" is the last word that would describe her...

I know this may be a long shot, but does anyone think that it might make any difference if some famous dog "whisperer" that is coming to Australia soon could be convinced to have a chat with the committee in charge of this whole stupid debacle - he knows the breed better than any of them, and may have some salient points they could use to determine "dangerous" rather than just how a dog looks?

Quite frankly, my Labrador can do a hell of a lot more damage than my Pittie cross - just ask the police who tried to break up their last fight... the only reason they didn't report my Lab as possibly dangerous was that the fight was in my back yard, and the Lab showed absolutely no inclination to attack a human or the other dogs on the property.

T.

Well done Sumosmum, but who the hell is the tosspot in the dickie bow tie? Jesus Lord help us with people like him in authority :(

Yep, never trust anyone who says the word "kiddies" He probably had on red socks to match his bow tie (which spins round like a propeller when the 'on' button is pushed)

Edited by Boronia

Sandgrubber cocker rage is very rare indeed might crop up in a dog that was byb but very unlikely and it's not limited to cockers and it's a condition and if you read about it the dog doesn't know what it is doing and alot of research is being done on it but anyway my point is that is a rare condition that cannot be controlled very different to a dog that is aggressive because of bad ownership or just aggressive and is doing it out of choice so to speak