Red Dog

sallyandtex

Just saw Red Dog at the movies.

LOVED IT!!!!!! :thumbsup:

It was wonderful to see an iconic Aussie film without any talking animals or Hollywood style special effects!

(I just hope it doesn't make some stooopid people go out and buy a Red Kelpie and stick it in their backyard) :cry:

And yes...I shed many a tear.

What's your favourite doggy movie?

Edited by sallyandtex

I just read the book of Red Dog, sweet, funny and yes some tears! Really looking forward to seeing the movie! I love most doggy movies, even the corny kids ones... Beverly Hills Chihuahua for eg hehe. Oh and the ones about dogs in the snow, I think 8 Below is the one where the team of dogs get left behind :( And the Buddies movies about the litter of lab puppies (or maybe GRs, not sure).

BTW I am actually an adult, not an 11 year old!

(I just hope it doesn't make some stooopid people go out and buy a Red Kelpie and stick it in their backyard) :cry:

The AWL is hoping the same thing - Link (Adelaide Advertiser). They didn't say it was already happening tho, just that they were worried about it.

Since Red Dog came out ppl have been calling my girl 'a little red dog'. I try not to be too pedantic and say she is actually fawn :laugh:. Haven't seen it yet, I am waiting 'til I can watch it at home so I can get all teary in the privacy of my own home :o

I was warned to go armed with a box of tissues and heeded the warning. I wish I could have seen it at open air cinema with my dog so I could cuddle her whilst I watched. Incredibly moving.

Definitely a tear jerker for any dog sap (as I am sure many DOLers are!).

saxonpup - i loved 8 below too... and that was based on a true story as well. I also liked Bolt... even though it was animated. Oh, and cats and dogs... darn i could just keep going...

I can't wait to see Red Dog.

Though, my favourite doggy movie of all time is Homeward Bound. :o

X2 :D Also love Turner & Hooch, and Milo & Otis, although I haven't seen them in a long time. I have another couple of old dog movies I haven't seen in a while but I am sure they're good - Greyfriars Bobby & Big Red.

I also remember watching a movie a while ago called 'My Dog Skip' & although shed a few tears I loved it!!

I'd say my favourite dog movie would be the Footrot Flats movie, although I haven't seen it since I was a kid so I'm not sure how well it has aged :/ I still get all happy when I hear the theme song tho.

Not really an animal movie but I was emotionally scarred when the horse drowned in Neverending Story, it is seared into my memory.

I think I'm showing my age :o

My poor Dad spent a lot of time at the movies with me as a kid. No TV or DVD's back then so there were quite a lot of outings - all the Lassie movies, 'My Friend Flicka' and the follow-ups to that one, 'Black Beauty', 'National Velvet', 'Florian' and some I can't remember the names of but can still remember the story line. Looking forward to seeing 'Red Dog' especially as I know the breeder of the 'star'.

I absolutely LOVED Red Dog when I saw it a week or so ago and I, like you all, hope that it doesn't inspire people to go out and get a kelpie without any thought for their care. Having said that, I work at my local RSPCA in the country and we are forever getting kelpies in (and everything appears to be crossed with them!), so imo they are already a pound breed!

As they do not appear to be a popular choice for people adopting here, I am actually using Red Dog promotional material to try and trigger some interest in our long term kelpies!! Don't worry, people interested will still have to tick the boxes and jump through hoops to meet our approval for adoption but I thought it might help to promote them a bit, as many of our kelpies just get looked over by the general public. In fact we have just named one boy that looked very similar to Red Dog by that name, just to try and trigger some interest!! :thumbsup:

I absolutely LOVED Red Dog when I saw it a week or so ago and I, like you all, hope that it doesn't inspire people to go out and get a kelpie without any thought for their care. Having said that, I work at my local RSPCA in the country and we are forever getting kelpies in (and everything appears to be crossed with them!), so imo they are already a pound breed!

As they do not appear to be a popular choice for people adopting here, I am actually using Red Dog promotional material to try and trigger some interest in our long term kelpies!! Don't worry, people interested will still have to tick the boxes and jump through hoops to meet our approval for adoption but I thought it might help to promote them a bit, as many of our kelpies just get looked over by the general public. In fact we have just named one boy that looked very similar to Red Dog by that name, just to try and trigger some interest!! :thumbsup:

Oh thats fantastic!

What a brilliant job you do.

I'd say my favourite dog movie would be the Footrot Flats movie, although I haven't seen it since I was a kid so I'm not sure how well it has aged :/ I still get all happy when I hear the theme song tho.

Not really an animal movie but I was emotionally scarred when the horse drowned in Neverending Story, it is seared into my memory.

No Shadowfax!!!!!

I lost some tears over that horse too.

No Shadowfax!!!!!

I lost some tears over that horse too.

The horse from Neverending stroy is called Artex.

Shadowfax is Gandulfs horse ;)

My favourite doggie film is Bon Bon about an Argentine Dogo

I must be the only person in the world because even my non doggy friends told me to watch it - but I really really didn't like it!!

I found it so corny, the acting was wooden, the ending was horribly cliche and it just had this all round feeling of a crappy aussie film! The only good thing was the dog IMO!

I loved this movie....and I had a good cry while watching it!!

My husband has lived in mining camps and he thought it was quite "real" in the way the types of characters were portrayed in the film.

For an Australian movie I thought it was excellent!!

I like most movies with dogs in it. Turner and Hooch would have to be a favourite though!! :D

ah I knew it sounded wrong - but remember it end in 'x'

either way that quicksand was a hell of a way to go - too much me at the time.

ah I knew it sounded wrong - but remember it end in 'x'

either way that quicksand was a hell of a way to go - too much me at the time.

Yeah it still gets me crying too :cry: