Dry Food For Golden Retriever Puppy

jamesn184

Hi all,

At the moment my puppy is on supercoat for puppys as the breeder started her off on it and its free of chemicals.

I'm now looking for a "premium" puppy food, it will get mixed with chicken necks at lunch and chicken mince/rice with peas & carrots.

Cheers

James.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

At the moment my puppy is on supercoat for puppys as the breeder started her off on it and its free of chemicals.

I'm now looking for a "premium" puppy food, it will get mixed with chicken necks at lunch and chicken mince/rice with peas & carrots.

Cheers

James.

I've been feeding my puppy Black Hawk Adult plus a RMB & he is going great on it. It's a premium food at a reasonable price.

James, I would feed the kibble separate to other foods. Your pup would already be big enough to tackle chicken wings and could do frames too when he grows. Other bones like lamb necks, ribs etc are good too.

As for kibble? It might pay to ask in the Golden Retriever thread as folk knowledgeable about the breed may have some views. The only Golden Retriever breeder I know well feeds Advance.

I feed Royal Canin (to my Whippet and poodles) but there are plenty of good quality kibbles out there.

Edited by poodlefan

If you want to stick within the "Nestle Purina " family then your choice for a Premium would be Pro Plan puppy, in either chicken or lamb, Proplan is now Australian made.

Advance is another Australian choice.

I personally like Royal Canin and have had great success with raising healthy, active babies on it.

As PF suggested, I would feed dry seperate to raw. Make one meal a day dry and the other necks, wings, carcass, lamb flap etc. Your pup could probably tackle wings, carcass and lamb flaps now, they are excellent for the teeth and the larger the pieces, the less risk of a choking hazzard. Peas and carrot are of little value to your pup and will go in one end and out the other, they offer little nutritional value.

I'm currently feeding Advance, have raised him on adult food. Eagle Pack is pretty good too. Friends raise there's on Pro Plan and I did that with my older golden 5 years ago. Surpercoat puppy I find has too high a protein level which can cause issues.... How old is the puppy?

I picked up some food today.. Hills Science Diet for Puppy's, already started to mix it in with the supercoat

Not a food I'd have recommended.

Me either. I would go Royal Canin, eagle pack, holistic select, earthborn holistic or Canidae

Me either - I dont' even think anyone mentioned it in this thread?

I can recommend Royal Canin :)

I agree. Science diet is low quality food for the money. There are so many better choices that would cost less or the same. As mentioned Royal Canin, Advance, Eagle Pack, etc are all good foods. I've fed my goldens, including my litters on Artemis for a few years now and very happy with it :thumbsup:

The first three ingredients in Science diet

Puppy large breed = Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal

Puppy Original = Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal

Puppy Small Breed = Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal

That's a lot of money to spend on feeding your dog corn

The first three ingredients in Science diet

Puppy large breed = Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal

Puppy Original = Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal

Puppy Small Breed = Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal

That's a lot of money to spend on feeding your dog corn

Looking at Royal Canin Mini Breed Puppy Junior food: Maize, dehydrated poultry meat, maize flour, maize gluten

I think that's quite a lot of maize too. From memory Advance has corn in one of its first few ingredients as well.