Rant!

miss2

Very angry at a friend but nothing more I can do.

A friend of mine has recently told me they are getting another spoodle  this puppy will be from a well-known puppy farm.

I tried to tell her everything, sent her links, pictures, stories, everything explained it in full detail y she should not be supporting this breeder only to be left with the response of

“ don’t tell me that stuff, it makes me so sad”

She went to the breeders on the weekend to look at the dog - she came home so excited, telling me they were on a lovely farm and there were at least 50 dogs there playing and the cutest puppies ever and blah freaking blah!

I had another rant at her and her response was “ well at least im saving her from that life by buying her”

FFS! When will people learn

Sorry, had to rant!

A friend of mine has recently told me they are getting another spoodle  this puppy will be from a well-known puppy farm.

I tried to tell her everything, sent her links, pictures, stories, everything explained it in full detail y she should not be supporting this breeder only to be left with the response of

“ don’t tell me that stuff, it makes me so sad”

She went to the breeders on the weekend to look at the dog - she came home so excited, telling me they were on a lovely farm and there were at least 50 dogs there playing and the cutest puppies ever and blah freaking blah!

I had another rant at her and her response was “ well at least im saving her from that life by buying her”FFS! When will people learn

Sorry, had to rant!

And condemning the pup's parents to more of the same.

If she even hints that she's rescuing the dog I'd be correcting that pretty fiercely. However she's a lost cause - clearly she can justify the decision. At least she actually visited the place.

I think you should take her to see a cocker spaniel puppy from a breeder or a poodle I'm sure she will love them as well just ask her if she would like to see them and maybe ask her to come to a shelter as well also did he see the parents? Ask her that if she says no then tell her she should be asking to see them and where they grew up

You could tell her about Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) and Familial Nephropathy (FN) in Cockers. Ask her to find out if the Cocker parent of her puppy has been tested for these diseases. If not, point out to her that she could potentially have a puppy who may go blind, or die at a young age of kidney disease.

Getting angry and having a rant at her is not the way to go about it, if you actually want to change her mind.

Most people, when you tell them off like they're a child "You are wrong, should not do that, you should do this" etc, will not react well. They will continue to ignore you so they can save face and not be embarrased. Even if she is being a massive idiot, which I certainly think she is, having a go is just gonna piss her off.

Better than telling her she is cruel and horrible and wrong, would be to say I'm sure they're cute, but these puppies are so much better! And look at the parents, they're so happy and beautiful bla bla. And they only have the one litter so they do alllll this initial work and training with the puppies which actually make them easier to train etc etc.

Much better than "you're a cruel idiot"

" don't tell me that stuff, it makes me so sad"

I had another rant at her and her response was " well at least im saving her from that life by buying her"

FFS! When will people learn

Sorry, had to rant!

I can understand why you may be upset because she has decided to get a pup which is unpredictible and that places the dog and her at higher risk of not being able to live together .

But surely this isnt a puppy farm or it would by now be shut down - do you mean it is a commercial breeding facility? One which has allowed her to come visit their lovely farm, see the dogs, meet the parents, meet the breeders and be around for support when the puppy goes home or to be held responsible if the pup has a problem?

It sounds like the place my sister got her Beagle x pug from. She lives in the ACT and I think it was north of there. It was a commercial breeder which has about 150 dogs. She said it was very clean (they even have a bulldozer for cleaning up all the poo :rolleyes: ). Now I haven't been there but that doesn't sound like a place I'd want to get a puppy from.

Maybe explain that it would be better to buy a puppy from a breeder that has the time to put into individual puppies and will be able to give your friend more one on one support than from a large scale operation that seems more focused on profit than matching the right puppy to the right home.

It will be hard once she's seen the puppy though.

It sounds like the place my sister got her Beagle x pug from. She lives in the ACT and I think it was north of there. It was a commercial breeder which has about 150 dogs. She said it was very clean (they even have a bulldozer for cleaning up all the poo :rolleyes: ). Now I haven't been there but that doesn't sound like a place I'd want to get a puppy from.

Maybe explain that it would be better to buy a puppy from a breeder that has the time to put into individual puppies and will be able to give your friend more one on one support than from a large scale operation that seems more focused on profit than matching the right puppy to the right home.

It will be hard once she's seen the puppy though.

Yep and hard when she has seen that what she has been told about conditions etc isnt true, that the breeder does appear to be concerned about matching the right pup with the right home and had all the time in the world for them.

One of the huge reasons why we need to stop the stuff thats happening and go to work on the real things we should be fighting against.

OT but are these "commercial breeding facilities" able to be put through the ringer like private breeders for genetic fualts of thier pouppies???! How do they get away with it? (Just curious)

You always hear of breeders being dragged to court but never these guys..I mean WTF?

Some people just won't get it and once they see the puppy that will be it. Most people actually believe that spoodle, puggle, etc etc are actual breeds. There is a guy I work with and is convinced his puggle is an actual breed. I've nicely explained to him that it is a pug x and you paid $1200 for a crossbreed (something 20 years ago would be given away for free), and that you have paid more for a crossbreed than a purebreed dog with all the testing etc etc that goes into it. But he still won't get that his puggle isn't a breed.

When I go to my son's rugby games, I would have to be one of the few that has a dog that is not an "oodle" or "uggle" of some description. Most are the caramel colours - which is the latest accessory it seems to go with the SUVs that are driven. Most are purchased from pet shops or the direct from puppy farms. I belong to two obedience clubs and you don't see many attending training. From what I know many go to puppy school (it seems that this is the part that they do - because it's fashionable - but obedience classes are not - lol.

:offtopic:

Please correct me if Im wrong here or it's alreadybeen discussed to death else where but.... shouldnt ANKC and RSPCA etc be advertising more widely to the general public?

ANKC: for purebred registered dog breeders on the radio or TV

RSPCA: against BYB and puppy farms(who are 'generally' believed to be the source of most RSPCA and Animal Welfare dogs) instead of asking for money all the time does it make more sense to try and stem the flow aswell?

OT but are these "commercial breeding facilities" able to be put through the ringer like private breeders for genetic fualts of thier pouppies???! How do they get away with it? (Just curious)

You always hear of breeders being dragged to court but never these guys..I mean WTF?

Well the same laws apply to them that apply to us and these breeders are not selling the pup to a pet shop and they are able to be located again and put through the ringer just as we are.

If they are members of some associations their codes of conduct are pretty hard too.

You might not agree with her decision but at the end of the day it is her life and she can make whatever decisions she chooses.

My best friend owns a poodle x spaniel. He's a nice dog. I would not unfriend them for their choice in dog.