Riding A Bicycle On A Public Road

Oscar (AmBull)

I have had a look around but can't find anything regarding this issue and I am sure DOLers will have advice/experience.

I have just started to cycle to get myself and Oscar a bit fitter because I am a slow walker (short legs :laugh: ) and never seem to have a fast enough pace for him to get into his stride. I am only going for short bursts at the moment on small side roads where I live, Oscar has taken to it extremely well for only just beginning.

My question is: What are the laws regarding riding with a dog on the road? Ie can we ride on the road? Which side? Where?

Any help/advice is appreciated. :thumbsup:

It depends on the state road laws, and whether they are enforced by the local police. In Vic, apparently it's illegal to bike a dog on a public road, but I've done it for years.....even right past the local police station.....and no one bats an eyelid. Mostly I stick to rail trails and bike tracks but around where I live now, I bike on the local back roads and farm access roads as well as the village streets and bike paths.

You must not lead (on a leash or any other leading device) an

animal from a vehicle, including a bicycle.

- From our road rules.

Having said that I still go out. I used to use the path around the school oval.

Now I use dirt tracks or some dirt bike paths when I go out.

I generally just stay out of peoples way, and don't go during peak hour and all I get are weird looks.

Edited by Esky the husky

It is a national rule that an animal is not to be led while on a bike but it does seem to vary as to how it is policed. I know when someone contacted the local police about it they told her it wasn't a rule and were surprised to find it was. LOL.

Most people I know of that do it stay away from main/busy roads and have the dogs well under control. I think if you do that you are less likely to have issues, if however you have a dog trying to yank the lead out of your hand and drag you along as it goes to chase after cars/cats etc well that is a different story.

I've ridden down the footpath, without a helmet with a dog tied to me past a cop car and they didn't care. I personally wouldn't ride on the road with him because people are idiots on the road, rather go slowly on the footpath till we hit grass or gravel and then speed up for a bit of a run.

I heard it was illegal too, but there are at least 6 people i see everyday round here who do it on the paths.

One guy has a BC each side of his bike and really goes fast :D

I would love to do it, but my BT hardly breaks out of a plod :laugh:

Hi,

We run our Pointer with the a bike.......though our is just a local road which turns into a dirt which takes you to a lookout, so perfect.

We use a Sprenger with a harness but also have a collar and lead.......being a Gundog......he sometimes wants to do exit stage left after birds.....so this give a bit of extra control. This is really good fun, but what I have now discovered is our dog he doesn't run nicely beside you but pulls non stop, he doesn't do the bike brakes any good. So now thinking of getting a dog scooter and tugline and doing sledding. Cheers

NewAmstaffOwner, I recently wrote to my local council Charls Sturt, about the same issue. The reply I got was that in South Australia there was nothing about being led from a moving vehicle, just that they needed to have effective control. We've been looking at starting when our pup is over 12 months on bike tracks!

Not sure from the Police angle and if it matches the council's take on dogs..

good luck!

I'm going to play devils advocate here and ask a question....

How is that in many places in Australia, it's against the rules to do this, yet people are saying they still do it, and to go ahead and not worry about it, but it's also against the rules to walk a dog offlead in a public area, and if the OP had have asked if they could get away with that everyone would have been up in arms about it....

Not pointing the finger, because I too have run my dog alongside my pushbike, (so therefore am including myself in the group of people that follow some rules but not the others) but I just found it interesting...that's all ;) :laugh:

Thanks so much for all the responses, Oscar is 2.5 years old :thumbsup:

Good tip on the grass as he has had somewhat sensitive feet and I do not want them to flare up from it. Unfortunately we do not have good footpaths at all and are not wide enough for the both of us. I think I need to find a grassy type area maybe?

The police around here are not super vigilant and probably would be surprised there was a law against it as well so I don't think I have any issues on that side of things. I live in a smallish country town so we do have a police station (that is actually manned rarely).

At the moment he is doing very well and was only distracted once by the idea of marking a bush, but that is mainly because I am still getting my feet when it comes to riding a bike again so was stopping and starting a bit trying to work out the gears :D

How do the sprenger etc attach? And do you just buy them in a pet store?

It is a national road rule, and all states and territories had to adopt their own version of it and a bunch of other rules like the child restraint rules, to get federal road maintenance funding.

But like everyone said - the police have better things to do. Charles Sturt council seem to be very inconsistent about their knowledge of the rules. There would be no council rule that they have to enforce so they don't care. And they don't care about a lot of the council rules either (like making sure people pick up after their dogs).

There is an endurance club that rides out of the club at West Beach (german shepherd/agility/endurance etc) off West Beach Road, and they have bikes and dogs being led from the bikes.

Thanks so much for all the responses, Oscar is 2.5 years old :thumbsup:

Good tip on the grass as he has had somewhat sensitive feet and I do not want them to flare up from it. Unfortunately we do not have good footpaths at all and are not wide enough for the both of us. I think I need to find a grassy type area maybe?

The police around here are not super vigilant and probably would be surprised there was a law against it as well so I don't think I have any issues on that side of things. I live in a smallish country town so we do have a police station (that is actually manned rarely).

At the moment he is doing very well and was only distracted once by the idea of marking a bush, but that is mainly because I am still getting my feet when it comes to riding a bike again so was stopping and starting a bit trying to work out the gears :D

How do the sprenger etc attach? And do you just buy them in a pet store?

Hi,

I got mine on line from a shop in Queensland......and I think i found it by just goggling but try www.springer.no then see who the Australian distributor is. They go on the post under the seat....and the arm easily detaches for when you want to go without the dog. If you are planning on doing ANKC Endurance.......at this point in time, they cannot be used.

Edited by Showpony