Pup Enquiry

Andisa

Ok - I suppose people are doing the rounds now looking for Christmas puppies, already had a few even though I do have written that I won't have a litter until 2012.

Anyway I am after some quick links about nasty puppy farms please so I can put the reply in a nice way with facts that any pug x will only come from a BYB or puppy farm as well as a reminder that there is no such thing as a "Puggle".

Here is the enquiry -

Hi Lisa,

My Fiancé and I are looking for a Puggle pup,

While I understand that you are a pug breeder and most likely do not cross breed, are you able to perhaps, send me in the right direction of a breeder? I'm not really keen on going through a pet shop for risk of Puppy Farming etc.

cheers

Edited by Andisa

Ok - I suppose people are doing the rounds now looking for Christmas puppies, already had a few even thought I do have written that I won't have a litter until 2012.

Anyway I am after some quick links about nasty puppy farms please so I can put the reply in a nice way with facts that any pug x will only come from a BYB or puppy farm as well as a reminder that there is no such thing as a "Puggle".

Here is the enquiry -

Hi Lisa,

While I understand that you are a pug breeder and most likely do not cross breed, are you able to perhaps, send me in the right direction of a breeder? I'm not really keen on going through a pet shop for risk of Puppy Farming etc.

cheers

It's a start. If you point out that no registered breeder can crossbreed within the code of conduct, they tend to pay attention to that.

Ok - I suppose people are doing the rounds now looking for Christmas puppies, already had a few even thought I do have written that I won't have a litter until 2012.

Here is the enquiry -

Hi Lisa,

cheers

It's a start. If you point out that no registered breeder can crossbreed within the code of conduct, they tend to pay attention to that.

Yes - sorry should have said I already included that but need some links.

I would like to put a draft together now to save me typing the same thing dozens of times. I feel like I am writing a book with half the replies, trying to keep it simple and to the point but nice.

Hi Lisa,

Thank-you for your enquiry. You have obviously already done some research on what breed may be suitable, and I am very glad to hear that you want to discourage individuals who breed their dogs in unsavoury conditions (such as BYBs and puppy farmers).

Unfortunately, as the 'puggle' crossbreed is hugely popular, many people breed these dogs only for profit, with little or no investment into the physical or psychological health of their pets. I do not know of any people who are responsibly and ethically breeding 'puggles'.

If you really have your heart set on a crossbreed, perhaps you could look at your local pound or on PetRescue.com.au. Because of this crossbreed's rise in popularity, there are many dogs that make their way into the rescue system.

Alternatively, I would suggest you perhaps do consider a pure bred pug or beagle if you believe they may suit your needs. I am not planning to breed a litter until 2012, but if you would like any breeder suggestions, please just get in touch. My phone number is XXX.

Best wishes,

*your name*

Lemma you are great at letter writing :thumbsup:

At least she doesn't want to get a pet!shop puppy thants a start. I too would suggest a rescue group or pound and save a dog.

lol Lisa those puppy queries you were speaking of are coming and you don't even have a litter :laugh: damned if ya do damned if you don't ;)

Great letter, Lemma. Gives them the facts, but is still polite and respectful. It seems like they do have good intentions, after all. Hopefully they end up with a well bred pup, or a nice rescue.

Edited by Staranais

Glad you guys like my letter. :laugh: I've been getting lots of puppy enquiries lately, so I'm a bit 'in the zone'. However, never had a request for a crossbreed.

I think this person is trying to do the right thing, and we should encourage them to do the right thing. :) She obviously already knows a bit about puppy farms and stuff, so no point in lecturing

Hopefully she can find a grotesque puggly thing in a pound and remove a dog from the rescue system, while also getting the dog of her desires. Win win. :thumbsup:

I use 'puggly' as a descriptive term. Like 'oodley'.

A puggle is a pug x beagle. By 'puggly', I meant something that is like a pug x beagle. (I.e. 'puggle like')

ETA: This is irrelevant now, but ah well. :)

Edited by Leema

Hi Lisa,

Thank-you for your enquiry. You have obviously already done some research on what breed may be suitable, and I am very glad to hear that you want to discourage individuals who breed their dogs in unsavoury conditions (such as BYBs and puppy farmers).

Unfortunately, as the 'puggle' crossbreed is hugely popular, many people breed these dogs only for profit, with little or no investment into the physical or psychological health of their pets. I do not know of any people who are responsibly and ethically breeding 'puggles'.

If you really have your heart set on a crossbreed, perhaps you could look at your local pound or on PetRescue.com.au. Because of this crossbreed's rise in popularity, there are many dogs that make their way into the rescue system.

Alternatively, I would suggest you perhaps do consider a pure bred pug or beagle if you believe they may suit your needs. I am not planning to breed a litter until 2012, but if you would like any breeder suggestions, please just get in touch. My phone number is XXX.

Best wishes,

*your name*

Thank you so much Leema - I have used your letter and tweaked it a little bit, that was much nicer than how I would have worded it - thanks again. Cheers. Lisa :D

I have been asked about pug crosses many times now and I needed help to word this enquiry nicely, even one of my daughters cousins has 2 pug crosses, asked me about a pug and went and bought 2 crosses from a friggen pet shop :mad .

Lemma you are great at letter writing :thumbsup:

At least she doesn't want to get a pet!shop puppy thants a start. I too would suggest a rescue group or pound and save a dog.

lol Lisa those puppy queries you were speaking of are coming and you don't even have a litter :laugh: damned if ya do damned if you don't ;)

Yeah Trina - Some Rottweiler enquiries have really frightened the crap out of me, while the Pug enquiries are generally wonderful, unfortunately I get some crossbred enquiries too :cry: .

My last Rottie litter was 3 yrs ago and over a yr for Pugs, but the enquiries come in on a regular basis.

Thanks for the advice and the link :thumbsup:

Edited by Andisa

A friend has a cav/pug cross who looks like a pug but has a slightly longer face. He has many health issues but she does not regret buying him, which sadly means she will encourage others she knows to do the same. At least with a pedigreed dog you know what you are getting. Your letter was very well put.

There is SO such a thing as a puggle - not sure why she would be contacting a Pug breeder for a baby Echidna though?? :p

post-3140-0-51046300-1316235713_thumb.jpg

Tell them to contact Pug Rescue in Vic - I know they sometimes get Pug crosses in care. :)

Aaaaaaannnnnddddd We have a winner!!!

190 Internet Pointz to Kirty!

I got it too...but I wasnt as noice :mad

I got an email from a guy looking for a Puggle today. Anyone else get it?

I will post his email and then my reply, I tried to stay noice, but couldnt...then he replied so I had to be MORE blunt.

Hi Sharon,

While I understand that you are a pug breeder and most likely do not cross breed, are you able to perhaps, send me in the right direction of a breeder? I’m not really keen on going through a pet shop for risk of Puppy Farming etc.

cheers

My reply

Hi Anthony

A puggle is a mongrel...you can get a mongrel anywhere at your local pound...you would be much better saving a puppy from the pound than encouraging and supporting a Back yard breeder of mongrels.

Cheers

Sharon

His reply

Hi Sharon,

When I mentioned that I was not looking to support puppy farming I thought that may have demonstrated that I was not looking for any unethical breeding and by suggesting that I’m going out of my way to support a backyard breeder of a supposed ‘lesser-dog’ is far from correct. I was looking only for any well-known and responsible breeders. As I am not a breeder I thought it best to speak to a professional for direction and I was certainly unaware of the politics between dogs which are single breed or multiple breed, I’m sure it will still provide the companionship and commitment to a good owner and home regardless of its heritage.

Thanks for your time

My reply

It is unethical to back yard breed a purebred Pug with a different breed and then to palm them off for ridiculous prices by calling them a Puggle or any of the other designer cross breed names they call them, all for profit only. A registered breeder breeds for the betterment of the breed.

There are no well known and responsible back yard breeders.

Thankyou

This is my standard answer to them all we get a couple a week. But Anthony started with us about a week ago.

Answer

Hi

I'm sorry we cant help you as our members only breed purebred dogs.

It seems a bit of a shame that you would take so much trouble to try to find a breed that would

most suit you when you are going after a mix where the two breeds are so different.

There is no way for you to be able to predict the behaviour or management issues you will need to deal with.

Julie Nelson

Reply.

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your advice,

You make some very good points, it’s something that I’ll keep in mind throughout our pup search

While I understand that you are a pug breeder and most likely do not cross breed

so why approach registered breeders to start with? That's like contacting mercedes Benz for a recommendation to a sale yard with overpriced chinese cars.

Bad analogy but the only one I could think of.

Good luck convincing them not to get a baby echidna, Andisa