Different Pointscore In America

SwaY

You can see how the results vary when compared to each other http://dogshowpoop.blogspot.com/

They list the Traditional Top 10, and there own Top 10 based on he criteria below.

I found this point score system interesting...

http://dogshowpoop.blogspot.com/2008/12/announcing-dog-show-poop-rankings.html

All of our readers know that we are fans of dog show rankings. We wouldn’t have dog shows if we weren’t interested in competition. It appeals to our sense of order and fairness. It is that latter characteristic that prompts us to announce the Dog Show Poop Rankings.

Starting in 2009 we will post our own rankings based on performance at AKC dog shows. We do this for a number of reasons. We want to recognize some of those dogs owned by the average dog show exhibitor, the exhibitor who doesn’t have a trust fund, the exhibitor who has a regular job and can’t make it to 150 shows a year, the exhibitor who doesn’t have access to a corporate jet to show in four cities in four days. Bottom line, we think if you give the average exhibitor (our version of Plumber Joe) some recognition, we might encourage more people to enter an AKC dog show.

We have developed a ranking system that tries to correct some of the inequities inherent in the current system.

1. We will only count all breed shows. While we think that specialty shows and limited breed shows are important, we think that they give an unfair advantage to the more popular breeds and, as you all know, we have a soapbox for rare breeds. The exception is Montgomery County, the Terriers only show. We do this because of the extraordinarily high number of entries at that show. (and because we are Terrier owners and it is our rankings. Smile)

2. We will only count a dog’s 50 highest scoring shows. We have thought for some time that dragging a dog to 150 shows a year is detrimental to the dog and the sport.

3. Most radically, we will score each group win equal to the win in the other groups. Said another way, a Group One in the Working Group will count the same as the Group One In the Herding Group at the same show. The current rankings count all the dogs that competed in the breeds that day. Therefore, a dog, unopposed in a breed, can go forward to the group and get credit for defeating dogs he/she never faced. To illustrate the inequity, consider this; the average Working Group winner gets 21 percent of the points at a show, while the average Terrier Group Winner gets eight percent, even though the former has faced 25 opponents in the group and the latter has faced 26. Group winners will be awarded four points. Group Two gets three points, Group Three two, and Group Four one. BIS will get the sum of the group wins, 28 points (Seven Groups at four points each) because a Best In Show is really, really special.

4. We will give extra points for big shows. Shows up to 1,000 dogs will score as out lined above. One additional point will be added to each win for every additional 250 dogs showing, i.e., BIS at a show with 1,000 dogs is worth 28, 1,250 is worth 35, 1,500 42, etc.

Now, we will still track and report the traditional rankings. We are not populist extremists wishing to overthrow the dog world elite nor do we harbor any delusions about who we are. The traditional rankings are important and we respect that. However, remember, these lists, like dog shows, are recreation. So don’t take them too seriously. Have fun with them. Our intent is to encourage you out there to get enthusiastic about dog shows. One final surprise. We will also track regional winners, but more on that later. We know our readers, like their dogs, have limited attentions spans.

I think this is a great idea and a much fairer way of working out a pointscore. Whilst I do have my dogs in the pointscore I only do it as a bit of fun and don't take it all that seriously, I am one of those people who just cannot attend shows every weekend and travel long distances. I think, as the article says, it would be a much more accurate portrayal of wins and give the "average Joe" a chance to be competitive as well. It would enhance the fun side of things instead of the win at all costs mode, make the big wins against good competition more special by them standing out and effectively make it a much more even playing ground.

As has been previoulsy stated in a pointscore topic on here, our competition will also be changing next year. Some parts are still being finalised (and hence the following is not set in concrete). No official announcement will be made until mid November.

We will be limiting the number of shows to the best 40 results obtained throughout the year. This will be applied to all parts of the pointscore competition. The system will constantly calculate the top 40 shows from those that you submit.

The Best of Breed competition will be changed to the 'Breed Challenge'. It will be based on Challenge points received. This should stop the practice of people entering multiple dogs to unfairly get extra points as well as some other perceived failings that people point out in the current BOB competition.

The Rising Star competition will have more tiers in the points allocation depending on the size of the show. The tiered points will only apply to class in group and class in show wins. Class in Breed results will remain a flat 5 points regardless of the size of the show.

Good changes. For someone (like me) who likes to spell / rotate the dogs they are showing this makes it a fairer system.

Are you adding the CCD title by chance (to the breeders pointscore) ???

Agree :) or dosnt have every weekend dedicated to driving miles around the country and has other things to do as well ;)

I like the idea of using the top so many wins, but do you think that 40 may still be to many ?

I personally would like to see the top 20 wins for the dog for the year

Ian

As has been previoulsy stated in a pointscore topic on here, our competition will also be changing next year. Some parts are still being finalised (and hence the following is not set in concrete). No official announcement will be made until mid November.

We will be limiting the number of shows to the best 40 results obtained throughout the year. This will be applied to all parts of the pointscore competition. The system will constantly calculate the top 40 shows from those that you submit.

The Best of Breed competition will be changed to the 'Breed Challenge'. It will be based on Challenge points received. This should stop the practice of people entering multiple dogs to unfairly get extra points as well as some other perceived failings that people point out in the current BOB competition.

The Rising Star competition will have more tiers in the points allocation depending on the size of the show. The tiered points will only apply to class in group and class in show wins. Class in Breed results will remain a flat 5 points regardless of the size of the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of using the top so many wins, but do you think that 40 may still be to many ?

I personally would like to see the top 20 wins for the dog for the year

Ian

We are considering this (maybe 25).

The other parts of the pointscore will likely remain at 40 due to the possibility of not being able to separate leaders if the number of shows is set too low.

looking forward to seeing the revised system ....

20-25 shows sounds good to me for Top Dog ...

wondering about Breed Challenge based on Challenge Points ... yes, I agree it will at least take

into account absentees and also not count babies... will you still count RUBOB? and will there

be any consideration to Breed Specialties?

cheers, David

I don't think the numbers should be made too few, otherwise your top dogs are all going to have the same scores. Changing the number of shows which count will not stop people going to shows every weekend.

What if you like to show a lot, meet new people, relax.. I think it would be unfair not to count results for your dog once you have done 20-25 shows! My baby has only been showing for a month and already has 11 shows under his belt (this is only 3 weekends mind you) so the limit you are thinking of here seems very low.

Just my inexperienced 2 cents, but I am sure I am not alone here. :D