So Much For Going To The Royal Melbourne Show!

Andisa

Andisa, this is just disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They obviously DON'T want dogs at the Royal. I have heard that from a relative horse judge who told me that they will move the Dog judging to say KCC Park just as they have moved the most of the Horse events to Werribee.

I would definitely be writing a letter of complaint and requesting a refund of monies.

This is one of the many reasons that I WON'T enter the Melbourne Royal

Colleen, there is plenty of parking, and I think your "relative" horse judge has their wires crossed!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We usually park in someone drive opposite the entry for the dogs - have never had a problem doing this

Last year there was also parking in the street near the mechanic for dog people and friends didnt have an issue either and that was before 8am when we all arrived

Hardly dramatic - if we didn't want to go we would not have wasted out time and money.

It's not just us, why do you think the numbers are down and they left the entries open for longer - struggling to keep the numbers. I have heard from others who were entered and thought stuff it too - they stayed home.

When it says in the handbook that you can that vehicle access :6.30am - 8.00 am - you expect it. The problem was where to leave the car at that time in the morning once you have unloaded your dogs and stuff.

We could have waited around and stayed but the whole idea of going early was so we could get set up without hassles - if parking was an issue at that time of the day imagine what it will be like when you want to leave.

Hardly dramatic - if we didn't want to go we would not have wasted out time and money.

It's not just us, why do you think the numbers are down and they left the entries open for longer - struggling to keep the numbers. I have heard from others who were entered and thought stuff it too - they stayed home.

When it says in the handbook that you can that vehicle access :6.30am - 8.00 am - you expect it. The problem was where to leave the car at that time in the morning once you have unloaded your dogs and stuff.

We could have waited around and stayed but the whole idea of going early was so we could get set up without hassles - if parking was an issue at that time of the day imagine what it will be like when you want to leave.

I do not know what all the fuss is about IT IS AN AGGIE ROYAL so thay have to accommadate more than us whinning dog people.The walk up the hill from the racecourse with the dogs gives them a small work out before thay get stuck on a bench all day..

I do not know what all the fuss is about IT IS AN AGGIE ROYAL so thay have to accommadate more than us whinning dog people.The walk up the hill from the racecourse with the dogs gives them a small work out before thay get stuck on a bench all day..

We planned on parking in the racecourse but it was not open until later.

Never mind - I just don't know why parking was not available when it was supposed to be.

Edited by Andisa

So sorry to hear of your bad day.

There are so many things wrong with the Melb Royal and if only a couple of people write a letter of complaint perhaps

the RASV is thinking "its only a couple of people so we don't worry about it."

BUT.............

what if ALL exhibitors got a petition together and presented it to the President of the RASV or similiar about ALL of our concerns. Maybe the RASV might listen.

BB

The gate to Flemington Racecourse fronting Epsom Road is open 24 hours a day. That is a legal requirement for access to the stables on the Racecourse. The other gate off Fisher Parade should have been open as well.

Who told you your car would be towed? People on the show grounds or outside in the streets? If it was on the Showgrounds, then they always say that . I showed horses and there were times when a car would sit illegally parked for 2 or 3 days before they towed it away. It would still take longer to get an impound tow track there to cart your car away than you intended to stay. These exaggerated threats by officialdom only catch out the people who want to do the right thing and just want a tiny bit of help.

There are so many things wrong with the Melb Royal and if only a couple of people write a letter of complaint perhaps

BUT.............

what if ALL exhibitors got a petition together and presented it to the President of the RASV or similiar about ALL of our concerns. Maybe the RASV might listen.

BB

Rather than write a letter of complaint maybe write a letter as to how we can help!!!

There is only a very few willing to do the job so help would be better than whinning..

Edited by morsha_68

BUT.............

BB

Rather than write a letter of complaint maybe write a letter as to how we can help!!!

There is only a very few willing to do the job so help would be better than whinning..

Very well said Morsha!! :D

Edited by kezziahgsd

Well I am another one that has never had a problem, we arrive around 7am, drop off me and the dog and Mick goes to Flemington and walks back up. If things have changed I will let you know after I have been there Monday.

That would be great Ceilidh, I will be a there on Friday for the Obedience trials & maybe back on Sat depends on how we go :D

I was at the Royal back in 09 & parked at Flemington without a hiccup, the Epsom Rd gates opened at 7am, we just parked on the side of the road with other Exhibiters :D

Edited by murve

Well we are going to the Royal for the first time this year and these stories do very little to boost my confidence in my well laid plans....an acquaintance that has done the Royal for many many years has organised parking for us.... I am going to try and be there early because as those of you who know me can attest, I hate being late and then feeling rushed... I'm a bit anal about planning....

I also agree with Morscha.... if and its a big IF, I get there and there are issues with parking etc. then I will write a letter outlining what could be done better and in what fashion. As a past club secretary I can tell you that it was always nice to complemented when our club got things right...and as they say 'you catch more flies with honey' so rather than ripping it up secretaries, if exhibitors only approached them with something like diplomacy and made nice subtle suggestions.... well enough said.

Good luck to all those showing over the next couple of days.... I have several friends with different breeds so will get a report on the parking etc each day from them....

Everyone knows the Royals are outside the "box" of normal shows ,you are either prepared to put yourself out for 1 day or your not .Yes some walking & effort is required but the Royal isn't about the dogs only ,yes we would all like better this & that but then again why bother when everyone bitches all the time .

In all the years when i use to do Melb royal we never had issues ,all easy peasy & i travelled from the East.

Its funny i travel to melb every year to the shows people whinge the most about yet i haven't had any issues :confused: Maybe i am very lucky & i come from a state where we don't have to put ourselves out so for me its a big change for what im use to but i now that & take it as it comes otherwise its simple i don't enter if its such a drama

Never have any trouble - park across the road from the show in someones driveway / yard and walk all my stuff and dog/s across. You just have to be prepared to be patient and relaxed about it all. Its busy, its full on public all day, its noisy, its a long day etc etc BUT thats the Royal :).

Andisa I feel you have had major over reaction.

I have just gone through the paperwork and found the time.

Langs Road gate 6.30 to 9am.

Racecourse 7.00am.

Even if you where first in line at Langs Road it takes at least 10 mins to unpack.

Then go out and park at the racecourse at least 5 mins drive so that gives you about 7.45am 15 mins wait.

Because you where there at such an ungodly hour you could have found street parking and walked up or unloaded then found street parking.

My sister got street parking at 8.15am last year or maybe it was the year before.

I dropped BBJ off at about 8.30am this morning and there was no line of cars.

Trains aren't any better. I will be driving in later in the week but on Monday will be getting train to help friends and watch my breed judged. First train arrives at Showgrounds at 9.03, gates are advertised to open 9.30. Then I have to traipse across to the dog area Doesn't give much time if the breed starts at 10.00 I am awaiting a reply from Royal as to whether station staff will let me in before 9.30!!

I attended by train today to avoid parking issues - I had studied the train timetables and gate times and was prepared to cool my heels outside the gates for a while, but lo! the gates were open when my shuttletrain from Southern Cross arrived at the showgrounds station before 9am. I was at the dog pavilion a few minutes later. Heaps of time, and my breed started at 10 today.

One word of warning - if you do arrive by train, don't expect to use your exhibitor's entry ticket to enter from the station. They are told to send all exhibitors through the exhibitor's gate and it's a long walk around.

But if you are older (like me) and laden with gear (like me) and if you sigh dramatically and say, "Oh dear. Very well. Please point me in the direction of the dog exhibitor's gate", then perhaps they will take pity on you (like they did me :D ) and let you through. Thank you, officials!!!:thanks:

Oh and where were your bench numbers? When I got there at 7.30 mine were the last in the whole row....funny they werent in numerical order... :eek:

Thay never are in numerical order,because if thay were I would have one dog one end and other in between....