Puppy-killing Dog 'retaliating'

Podengo

Puppy-killing dog 'retaliating'

The owner of a dog that killed two chihuahua-cross puppies at Nelson's Back Beach says he's "gutted" by what happened and the attack was out of character for his bull mastiff-labrador cross.

The man, who only wanted to be identified as Jim, said his nine-year-old dog Red was his best friend.

"It's emotionally affected me too. I feel for the people so bad. I'm an animal lover, I didn't bring my dog up to be vicious ... He's a big dog he looks more intimidating that what he is, he's a big marshmallow."

Nelson women Kate Earl, 24, and Shiree Brunell, 17, were traumatised after Red attacked and killed their puppies at the Parkers Cove area at Nelson's Back Beach on Saturday afternoon.

Ms Earl said they were walking their dogs on a lead when they were approached by Red, who first killed Ms Brunell's nine-week old pomaranian-chihuahua cross and then crushed her six-month-old chihuahua-poodle cross Nizmo.

She said this morning she and Ms Brunell had returned to the site of the attack and erected two crosses in memory of their dogs.

She had wanted to speak out as a warning in the hope the dog would be found before it attacked other dogs, or even a child.

"If they do get the dog and the owners I'll be the happiest we can be and it will put our minds at rest," Ms Earl said this morning.

Jim said he believed one of the smaller dogs had bitten Red on the ear and he retaliated.

"My dog had been around 20 to 30 dogs before it came across them. He went up for a sniff and the chihuahua bit his ear. He didn't maul them, he didn't shake them or anything like that.

"The dogs are so small and fragile, one little nip from his big mouth ... If it was a dog his size it would've been just a bite, unfortunately they were so small."

Red had been involved in fights with other dogs, but never started them, he said.

Ms Earl said Jim's partner was abusive towards them and had told them their dog had started the attack, and that she had left the scene before police were called.

However, Jim said he had tried to get contact details from the women and did not know police were on the way.

"I did my darndest to make it right. I told my partner to get Red off the beach; I wanted to defuse the situation."

He feared they would order the destruction of his dog, which he described as his best friend. He said his dog had never been aggressive towards a person or killed another dog before.

"It's just retaliation. It's just an animal thing."

Dog control officer Stephen Lawrence said dog control had spoken with the owners of the larger dog. Investigations needed to be completed before any decision on charges.

Nelson dog behaviourist Steph Loader said it was "abnormal" for a dog to kill puppies.

Ms Loader, of Halifax Veterinary Centre, said older dogs might snap or nip but it was rare for an older dog to kill a puppy.

5691885.jpg

5691808.jpg

5691802.jpg

Where do you start... :(

I guess & hope they start with the part that says the puppies were being walked on a lead.

That settles whose fault it all was for me regardless of what any dog had done or how they have behaved before when running loose.

How absolutely horrific for them all.

You know the single most frustrating thing about so many people with dog aggressive dogs is their total failure to recognise that their dog has a problem and consequently their failure to actually control their dogs and do something about it.

The guy in this story is a classic example. His dog has been in fights before (but never started it). He's implying the dead dogs started this one. Riggght.

The dog has now killed and its still just a "big marshamallow". All I can hope is that Red becomes a big marshmallow that's subject to a dangerous dog declaration and only to be walked leashed and muzzled. No fun for the dog but the owner's got his head firmly shoved in the sand.

And I see it time and again.. dog with long history of aggression incidents and owner in denial. :banghead:

omg. i think really having little dogs for many years, its just too risky to walk little dogs in a public area especially dog beaches or leash free parks. having my big breed dog attacked and thinking what would have happened to my little toy dogs, its just too much a risk. i've had numerous people enquiring about owning one of my dogs and saying they have a dog park near them and they'll walk the dog there. told them that just because dogs are on the leash doesn't mean it will stop them attacking other dogs. the dog that attacked my bigger breed dog was on a lead with owners in tow and it didn't make one iota of a difference.

those poor little dogs didn't stand a chance. and both sides are a bit ignorant to the situation im sorry to say. a little pom puppy they are so tiny and fragile and getting them to greet a big dog like that :confused: thats just pure madness. i don't even let my little dogs near my big dog unsupervised because sometimes they just don't know their size difference and they could unknowingly swipe the little dogs and cause damage.

i wonder what the bigger dog did, he said he didn't maul them? little dogs just have this big dog syndrome too, you go to a dog show and see all the little toy breeds carry on when a person walks a bigger breed through them. they carry on something awful.

In defense of the indefensible.

If a dog came up to one of my dogs and bit it on the ear the biter would almost certainly get bitten and yes the one who bit first would have started it. Big dog vs a little dog is bound to not end well for the little dog, but the little guys don't know that when they approach. Even a small breed/cross puppy could easily be killed by an illmannered older dog of a large breed/cross even if the older dog didn't actually "attack" the puppy.

But then none of mine would be wandering around loose in the presence of random other dogs.

About 8-9 years ago there was an incident in NZ where a poodle (toy or mini, little guy anyway) jumped over it's front fence and latched on to a Bullmastiff being walked ON LEASH by it's owner on a public footpath. One bite and it was goodnight poodle, and the media (aided by a local vet and an MP) was baying for the blood of the vicious Bullmastiff that "mauled" the poodle.

Jim sounds like a great piece of work.

even little dogs can turn on little dogs as in the case of a reg breeder this was about 20 years ago, and i was horrified when i heard that she'd left about 20 little dogs in a run together and came back to find about 3 dead, they'd all turned on each other and killed 3 dogs. :eek:

i just wonder after that, and if the owners get other dogs whether they will be doing the same thing, letting their little dogs greet whoever :confused:

Edited by toy*dog

even little dogs can turn on little dogs as in the case of a reg breeder this was about 20 years ago, and i was horrified when i heard that she'd left about 20 little dogs in a run together and came back to find about 3 dead, they'd all turned on each other and killed 3 dogs. :eek:

i just wonder after that, and if the owners get other dogs whether they will be doing the same thing, letting their little dogs greet whoever :confused:

All dogs have the capacity to have a go and ultimately the risk of death is tantamount when the fight is not a matched one in size and strength.

Idiots for letting those dogs, all three get within a bulls roar of each other!!!

Yes, even small breeds can kill each other, I know of a breeder who had Papillions and got out of breeding them becasue Quote "she was sick of them killing each other!!!" Unquote. I was very surprised to hear this but can see that all desecndents of the wolf have that same that capacity. Some just have it bred in them stronger than others.

yea pack mentality. im using that word alot today :o i have a visiting bitch from another kennel with me now and she is picking on my dogs so i have had to separate her from everyone. she was getting my other dogs to pick on one particular elderly dog :eek: so no way would i leave them unsupervised together.

To be honest, I've been to this back beach in Nelson. I was awe struck by it. No body has their dogs on a lead, nobody! I took my brother in laws AmStaff down to the beach while I was down there on holiday and every dog came up to us. Luckily Tank was a lovely boy and in no time I felt I could trust him off the lead aswell (no problems BTW).

My Rotties have been mauled (for want of a better word) multiple times by jack russels/foxies. They seem to be really bad for it (not trying to get into breed specific stereotyping here, I do have rotties!). Lcukily I used to keep my big boy muzzled as he was shocking for dog aggression, but I tell you what, if that muzzle wasnt on it would have been carnage! I also had an incident very recently where I was walking my two girls, muzzled, leashed, and by my side down Raumati Beach, and a Shih Tzu came rushing up and started barking and nipping, all of a sudden I hear a great shreak from a fair way down the beach, maybe a hundred meters or so, "get away from those dangerous dogs!"????Im sorry...WHAT?!?!? Dangerous?!?!? Lady my dogs are on their best behaviour, your Shih Tzu on the other hand...And the Aweful thing is the council, atleast here in Paraparaumu, will always be on the side of the smaller dog.

I really feel for this bloke, and his dog. What a sad story for everyone. I only hope the council doesnt order the destruction of his pooch!

Back beach, to my knowledge, is an off leash area. The big dog was allowed off leash there, although it obviously should have been under better control.

IMO, taking a chihuahua puppy to a busy offleash park is daft. Taking a huge dog that has been in fights before to an offleash park is more than stupid.

Poor chihuahua puppies.

Poor little mites. Weather or not one started it, they didn't deserve to be mauled to death. And if only one bit Red on the ear, did he then kill the second one without being provoked? He shouldn't have been left off lead, especially if he had a known history of being in fights, no matter who started it. This situation easily could have been avoided had Jim kept Red leashed and was realistic about his interactions with other dogs :(

Back beach, to my knowledge, is an off leash area. The big dog was allowed off leash there, although it obviously should have been under better control.

IMO, taking a chihuahua puppy to a busy offleash park is daft. Taking a huge dog that has been in fights before to an offleash park is more than stupid.

Poor chihuahua puppies.

looking at the pics, the 9 week old is a pom cross (bred and exhibited this breed 15 years ago) and also the other has terrier in it, can't really see chi in it at all athough it may have a very small amount in it. but still and all obviously small dogs and yes taking a 9 week old baby on a lead to a dog area where it is free for all is a very silly thing to do. i'd never do it even walking my little dogs in my area is a big risk as it only takes a second for a big dog like that to get its mouth around your little dogs neck and then they are gone. little dogs exercise themselves if you have a very big backyard.

Poor little mites. Weather or not one started it, they didn't deserve to be mauled to death. And if only one bit Red on the ear, did he then kill the second one without being provoked? He shouldn't have been left off lead, especially if he had a known history of being in fights, no matter who started it. This situation easily could have been avoided had Jim kept Red leashed and was realistic about his interactions with other dogs :(

even if the dog was on lead i believe would not have made a huge difference, the dog that attacked my pointer was on a lead and sniffing my dog next thing it turned and pinned my dog to the ground and started biting my dog around the neck both dogs were onlead but mine broke off his lead and the other dog did the same!

someone told me that if they got a dog from me (toy dog breed) they'd walk it in a dog park, i said no way, they said it will be safe because all the dogs are on lead. I can't imagine what would have happened if i had off been walking one of my little dogs. i think it would have either been dead or severely injured that other dog was biting the crap out of my dog. the owners were trying to pull it off and eventually he grabbed the collar and pulled. after that i found out that we should have each done the cartwheel (think thats what its called) and wheeled them away.

my opinion was i would not sell to a person who persists in walking dogs in a dog park, they are dangerous places simply becuase you can't control other owners and their dogs actions. i'd never take my dog to another park after that ever again and i don't even know what reaction my dog has to other dogs now. i exercise him on his own in a school oval. away from everyone on our own.

Edited by toy*dog