How Good Are They

Talien

I know the draw to home turf can be strong ... but this dog is not 'lost'/abandoned. She WILLINGLY escaped to find a mate ...and this travel could have taken her anywhere .. I honestly don't believe she will be trying to get home just yet ...her hormones are telling her other things :( I just hope she's safe.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but this dog is not 'lost'/abandoned. She WILLINGLY escaped to find a mate ...and this travel could have taken her anywhere .. I honestly don't believe she will be trying to get home just yet ...her hormones are telling her other things :( I just hope she's safe.

100% agree

So this morning there was a very wet balck lab curled up on the chair in the sunroom.

I'm beyond happy that she is home.

I am so blooming angry! Like swear crazy hit my friend angry. She refuses to get Elysia desexed, instead she plans to get a $400+ gps tracking device. How can she be so kdjdjdjsk stupid???

She refuses to get Elysia desexed, instead she plans to get a $400+ gps tracking device. How can she be so kdjdjdjsk stupid???

Whilst I'm glad the dog is back home .. I am now concerned as to what she has brought home with her :( diseases/injuries./infections like pyometra and probably a litter of pups with perhaps 4 different fathers some big, some small .. who knows .

So this morning there was a very wet balck lab curled up on the chair in the sunroom.

I'm beyond happy that she is home.

I am so blooming angry! Like swear crazy hit my friend angry. She refuses to get Elysia desexed, instead she plans to get a $400+ gps tracking device. How can she be so kdjdjdjsk stupid???

Glad that the dog found her way home but she needs to be desexed in the next couple of weeks. If I was you I would just take her and have it done

Is your friend prepared to have the bitch die when she whelps if she gets a puppy stuck because she was mated to a dog too large? She won't know the exact whelping date so may not get help in time if there is a problem. If she does get help a caesarian could cost her $1000. Alternately the bitch could have a litter of 10-14 mixed breed puppies that will cost her at least $400 each to feed, vaccinate, microchip and raise to 8 weeks. Then it is unlikely she will be able to find homes for puppies that she has no idea what the father is. Is she prepared to then have these puppies put down when she can't find homes for them? If she sells them and they develop hip displasia, she could be sued for $1000s for corrective surgery because she didn't have the parents hip scored. 10 puppies each needing $5000 worth of surgery is a possibility.

So I hope your friend is cashed up because she will need at least $3000-$4000 on hand to raise a litter if all goes well and much more if it doesn't.

Edited by dancinbcs

Ask your friend if you could take over ownership of the dog -change microchip details to your name- then you could have the dog desexed .You should talk calmly to your friend about the dogs needs as shouting will likely make her less inclined to listen to reason.Point out to her that there is more to caring for a dog than feeding and playing with it.Does the dog have regular vaccinations and worming,the yard needs to be made secure ,the dog needs to be taken on daily walks and given toys and bones to occupy it so it won't need to escape for exercise.Dog doo needs to be cleaned up from the yard.If the dog has pups is she prepared to have 10 + pups under foot messing in the house.Tell her not every whelping goes smoothly and what would she do if there were complications ,and would she hand feed pups if the mother couldn't.How would she feel if the dog escaped again while heavily pregnant.Make a list of points to discuss with her.While it is her dog you will not be able to take it for desexing unless she gives you the ok to do it on her behalf.Also get a quote from a couple of vets so she knows the cost of the desex ,Good luck.

Edited by Purdie

Wonderful that you got the girl back.

Very likely she's prego. Even if your roommate isn't keen on desexing, it's worth taking her to the vet and discussing options and making sure she's ok. In many areas of Australia there's more demand for Lab pups than the market can supply . . . so if she's got good temperament, good confirmation, and good health credentials . . . and on Main Register . . . and some one wants to breed from her someday . . .there may be reasons to keep her entire. But a litter of oops puppies is not going to be a bonus!

(In my experience, scolding people usually ends out with them doing exactly the opposite of what you want them to do).

if your so called friend can't deal with a tiny amount of blood in the house from a season, where on earth does she expect this poor bitch to whelp her puppies? The f%&King backyard on a chain? and the bitch will discharge for several weeks afterwards as well.

if your so called friend can't deal with a tiny amount of blood in the house from a season, where on earth does she expect this poor bitch to whelp her puppies? The f%&King backyard on a chain? and the bitch will discharge for several weeks afterwards as well.

x2

And 10 + bundles of joy all full of puppy poo & pee make a lot more mess than one in season bitch!

Talk to your flat mate calmly and quietly, and if they still don't listen take the bitch and get her spayed yourself. Chances are they won't even notice if you do it when they're away for 2 or 3 days :(

Guest Black Obsession

Purdie is right...and I apologise for suggesting that you should desex someone else's dog! I would be beside myself if someone performed an operation on one of my dogs without my knowledge or permission.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...it just sounds like such a crappy situation to be in :(

Perhaps, you could talk your friend into rehoming her Lab through the Labrador Retriever Club? I'm at a loss as to what to suggest. How frustrating it must be to live with this person. Once the Lab was rehomed, I would look at moving out. I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who treated animals this way :mad

Edited by Black Obsession

Glad she is found and at least outwardly, appears ok. Have the owner take her to the Vet. I think if it were my dog and provided it was with the Vet's recommendation, I'd do what I needed to do to have a pregnancy confirmed or negated and, if confirmed, have the pups aborted.

Talien - we all make mistakes. In my younger years, I made mistakes that I regretted and the guilt from those mistakes lives with me, even now, near-on 40+ years later. It's the not learning from those mistakes that makes you a fool and deserves criticism and scolding, not the mistakes themselves and from what you have said here, I don't think you fit that category. Your friend needs to listen up, by the sounds of it, and if she refuses to do so, then perhaps that category is hers.

I don't think having an entire/intact dog automatically renders a person irresponsible. I think it is irresponsible to not have sensible and responsible reasoning for keeping a dog entire/intact and I think it is irresponsible to not have a secure enclosure where the dog - intact or not, cannot escape nor where others might manage to enter.

You were brave to fess up to what had occurred and come out in the open to broad-cast the news in the hope of it assisting with the dog's return.

at the very least get her the "morning after' injections

And what would that achieve? It would abort this litter so she could come straight back into season, get out and get mated again, not to mention the risk of pyometra as well. The owner of this dog has proven herself far too irresponsible to own an entire bitch let alone raise a litter and if she wants to keep the dog it needs to be speyed now.

Talien - I don't envy you at all because I sure as hell wouldn't want to share a house with someone that treats her dog so badly. Good on you for getting the info you need but now you have to be strong enough to convince this "friend" to finally do the right thing by the dog. Perhaps organise a trip to a shelter with her this week and call ahead to see if they can talk some sense into her. A visit at euthanasia time for the unwanted dogs would be ideal. There is nothing like watching healthy unwanted puppies die because no one wants them, to make you act responsibly and not bring unwanted puppies into the world.

Has she had her Labrador hip scored? DNA tested for PRA? Those tests cost a couple of hundred dollars each and if she fails to do them, and breeds affected pups, she can be sued by the puppy's owners.

at the very least get her the "morning after' injections

And what would that achieve? It would abort this litter so she could come straight back into season, get out and get mated again, not to mention the risk of pyometra as well. The owner of this dog has proven herself far too irresponsible to own an entire bitch let alone raise a litter and if she wants to keep the dog it needs to be speyed now.

Talien - I don't envy you at all because I sure as hell wouldn't want to share a house with someone that treats her dog so badly. Good on you for getting the info you need but now you have to be strong enough to convince this "friend" to finally do the right thing by the dog. Perhaps organise a trip to a shelter with her this week and call ahead to see if they can talk some sense into her. A visit at euthanasia time for the unwanted dogs would be ideal. There is nothing like watching healthy unwanted puppies die because no one wants them, to make you act responsibly and not bring unwanted puppies into the world.

dancinbcs, the OP has already stated the owner of this dog does not want to get the dog desexed, which I think everyone in this thread agrees is the wrong decision. You say the dog needs to be desexed now, which I agree with, however only the owner of the dog can make that decision. Rebanne was pointing out an alternative, which would at least prevent a litter of pups now, and hopefully give more time for the OP to work on her friend and try and get her to come around to the idea of desexing the bitch.

Has she had her Labrador hip scored? DNA tested for PRA? Those tests cost a couple of hundred dollars each and if she fails to do them, and breeds affected pups, she can be sued by the puppy's owners.

even if any Xbred pups are FTGH or offloaded to a petshop? Serious question....