Collar Solutions For A Headstrong Bull Terrier

diesie821

So, I have an 8 month old typical headstrong male bull terrier and was wondering if anyone had suggetions as what was the best collar/harness to get for him as I've had sooooo many differing opinions! The vets say halti, the breeder says the harness n other ppl say the chocker...

Could some fellow bully owners offer more help plz! ;)

Front attach harnesses have limited usefulness for pulling, at least for some dogs. No harm in trying it though, it might work for you.

I think a correctly used prong collar is better than a head collar, as most dogs HATE the head collar. I think it would be more humane for the dog to receive 3-4 corrections for pulling than wearing a head collar for the rest of its life. You need a trainer to show you how to use it though. And if you're getting a trainer in anyway, why not get them to show you how to train the dog not to pull, rather than looking for a quick fix in the form of some equipment?

Your dog probably isn't more headstrong than any other, it just hasn't been trained to walk properly on a leash.

How about some training for you both? ;) Learning how to read/control a teenager like your boy would be a real bonus for you!

I agree. Certain tools may make it 'easier' to get started but training is the real solution here.:)

I think a correctly used prong collar is better than a head collar, as most dogs HATE the head collar. I think it would be more humane for the dog to receive 3-4 corrections for pulling than wearing a head collar for the rest of its life.

I know some dogs that have been walked on head collars for many years and are perfectly happy. I also know someone who says their dog still doesn't like it after years of wearing one. I guess that it depends on the dog, but the applications of a head collar are definitely greater than the applications of a prong. I reckon a session with a trainer that knows how to use a head collar would be at least as beneficial as a session with a trainer that knows how to use a prong. Head collars are not for every dog, but can be a big help where the dog can be taught to accept them.

front attach harness works for me and my pulling dog. The clip on the front on her chest rotates her chest around to face away from where she's trying to go if she pulls.

I don't need it most places because she will do a nice loose lead walk. But not on footpaths next to busy roads (more than two cars according to her).

We have a sensible but there are other variations and brands around.

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/

If you decide to go the prong collar option, make sure you get trained in how to use it and learn about "escape training" which is not the same as training a dog to be Houdini. I recommend Steve Courtney at k9pro.com.au or would ask him to recommend someone local.

Bull terriers can be trained to loose lead walk with just a flat collar if you are willing to put a little bit of time in. They can even earn obedience titles.

Front attach harness and training :thumbsup: Headcollar/halti don't tend to fit the Bull Terrier shape face. Get a copy of the book "When Pigs Fly - Training Success With Impossible Dogs" by Jane Killion IMO the the best training book for Bull Terriers and other stubborn breeds :thumbsup:

Pele, my 6.5 yo Bull Terrier wears a martingale collar and I never reward any pulling by letting her move forward when she's pulling. And yes, Bull Terriers can earn obedience titles :D

This

Get a copy of the book "When Pigs Fly - Training Success With Impossible Dogs" by Jane Killion IMO the the best training book for Bull Terriers and other stubborn breeds

Your bully can be taught to walk on a loose loop lead. With respect, I would suggest that a prong collar is not the best solution here, training for you and bully is.

People are suggesting a prong collar without the qualifier of consulting a professional or whitout even knowing what the OP has used? Pring collards have their place, but I've never heard any trainer saying they're the FIRST point of call.

To the OP - I say go the training route, it seems to be what the bully people are suggesting too.

you will get a million different suggestions but since no one has actually SEEN the dog it's all just random suggestions. Your dog may be easily walked on a flat collar with the right technique or it could require something like a check chain etc.

But without training you will end up with a draw full of junk and a few hundred dollars out of pocket. Find a good trainer, they should bring equipment with them for you to try and show you what to do.

you will get a million different suggestions but since no one has actually SEEN the dog it's all just random suggestions. Your dog may be easily walked on a flat collar with the right technique or it could require something like a check chain etc.

But without training you will end up with a draw full of junk and a few hundred dollars out of pocket. Find a good trainer, they should bring equipment with them for you to try and show you what to do.

you're definately right! my rottie walks so beautifully on just a flat collar and people always tell me i should be using a slip collar, my response is he doesn't need one and i'd like to keep it that way but that was thanks to obedience training, it helps so much! so many people at training use slip collars but you can just tell that they don't even know how to use it properly hence all their dogs just keep pulling like crazy anyway. i'm not sure about haltis as most dogs i've seen at training with them absolutely hate wearing them making them walk even worse and i use to use a harness until a trainer told me that that'll only make your dog pull even more because he's basically trying to get out of it. i rekon just try a few things and see what works best for you :)

But without training you will end up with a drawer full of junk and a few hundred dollars out of pocket. Find a good trainer, they should bring equipment with them for you to try and show you what to do.

:thumbsup:

Front attach harness and training :thumbsup: Headcollar/halti don't tend to fit the Bull Terrier shape face. Get a copy of the book "When Pigs Fly - Training Success With Impossible Dogs" by Jane Killion IMO the the best training book for Bull Terriers and other stubborn breeds :thumbsup:

Pele, my 6.5 yo Bull Terrier wears a martingale collar and I never reward any pulling by letting her move forward when she's pulling. And yes, Bull Terriers can earn obedience titles :D

This!!!! I use a choker on all of mine because they tighten quickly and don't slip off the unique bully head like a lot of other collars, etc do but get the book and start some positive training.

There is NO better control method in a bull terrier than positive training. If you crack that, the lead will just be there for assurance.