Roughly How Much Does Kennelling Cost Per Day?

Simply Grand

A friend of mine (who to be honest I've been having some issues with lately, well for a while) has just asked me to look after her dog for 10 days (in a round-about way that started off as though she was offering to do me a favour :rolleyes:).

She's going away on a placement for work. I used to look after her dog for her quite often for various reasons (I've posted about her before) and eventually kind of told her I was sick of her dumping her dog on me just because she wanted to stay at her boyfriend's house, or go away for the weekend, or go visit her mum (who apparently doesn't want the dog to stay there). Then I got Riley and told her (nicely) not to ask because while I had the puppy settling in I couldn't take her dog as well.

She moved into a share house around the same time with another girl who had a dog and apparently they agreed they were happy to look after each others' dogs if need be. Since then my friend has gone away for a month already for work and has gone away weekends quite a few times. Apparently she has been leaving the dog at home for the housemate to look after and now the housemate is jack of it. Hence her asking me to take her this time (after she's already accepted the placement regardless).

Anyway, she's said she'll pay me - that's how she started the request - text saying "So how would you like to earn some money for about 10 days?" I'm not working at the moment for reasons she knows I am stressed about, and she knows money is tight so I'm annoyed that she's done it like this :swear:

In practice I actually don't mind looking after her dog, she's quite sweet and willing to fit in and do things my way when she's here. She can be a bit difficult sometimes but as I've posted before, who can blame her when her owner passes her from pillar to post, only spends time with her if she has nothing else to do, has "trained" her by hitting her, etc etc so I've agreed to take her.

My friend has offered to pay me for looking after her when it's been more than a few days before and has ended up not actually getting around to giving me the money. This time she's going to have to. So, before she brings it up, how much roughly would it cost her to kennel the dog for the 10 days? I want her to pay me a fair price!

Sorry, this has turned into a long and whingey post, feel free to ignore the whole thing except for the actual question unless you'd like to join my vent :laugh: Thank you :)

Oh sorry, she's a 6kg pug x

Well where I work im fairly sure we charge $16 a day for small dogs... We are realitively cheap thou i know alot of kennels are more like $18 a day. id be charging her $15 a day and insisting that like most kennels she pay in advance and you want to see her dogs vaccinations :-P just kidding on that bit but def inisist on payment before she takes off and most kennels (as far as I am aware) charge per day not per night

I just checked the website of the kennel Kuma stayed in for a few weeks. For small dogs, they charge $17 - $20/day depending on time (school hols or not) then they add extras on, like additional treats, washing, training... I'd say wrap it up to $20/day and you'd be covered.

We charge $20

The difference being is what that money pays for .

We pay GST ,we have public liability insurance & our insurance covers any injury to dog or human in our care .

Clients sign a contract for what they are getting for there money (vet bills etc etc ).

If you are going to charge then you need to then be prepared you are offering a service more than just house sitting .

So you need to either look at the money to simply cover the food expense & work that out accordingly

I would tell her to have the money ready before she leaves! lol

Im sorry she is using you this way and i feel sorry for the dog too.

I had the woman up the back to the same thing to me 3 times before i said no. She had a bc and two shelties (one a ex show dog who was spoilt rotten and a real pain in the bum- nothing against shelties, just this one)and gave me like 250 for nearly 2wks. I felt really ripped off.

She hardly talks to me now since i have said i don't want to look after her dogs anymore, but when they are well to do and treat you like that and the dogs bark 24/7 id had it!

After this i would just be telling her to get a pet sitter.

I board dogs that I have bred as Frenchies would never cope with a kennel situation, I have just put my charge up to $20 per day, this covers food, washing of blankets, changed every day, so that helps to cover the extra water and electricity, they get walked weather permitting every day and are treated like one of the family, as they live inside, this has worked for years.

My question is though, why has she got a dog?????????????

Sounds like she never has time for the poor sweet girl, such ashame.

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I'm thinking I'll tell her $15 per day, well per night I suppose... if she offers more though I'll take it! I wouldn't really expect to charge what a kennel does as I don't have the expenses they do of course. The only actual financial costs will be food (she may provide some, she does sometimes) and the cost of washing the dog and/or bedding if needed.

The dog will be at my house and will be treated basically how I treat my dogs so it's not a huge inconvenience - well hopefully, I haven't had her stay since I've had Riley so I hope there are no problems. For her sake (and also because I'm a bit of a conflict avoiding wuss :o ) I find it really hard to say no to taking her if I don't actually have a reason to.

ETA - the rest of the post is more venting :)

She's been staying with me on and off for nearly half her life now (she's 4) and most of Saxon's life and I've done done training with her, tried to teach her that good behaviour will get her more attention than bad (at my house, not so much with her owner sadly :( ) and tried to help her feel more secure around other dogs (she's had some fear aggression issues IMO). She really is a nice little dog, she just isn't treated how I believe she should be by her owner - although she's at least had her owner's flatmates past and present, and friends (me!) around to ensure she does get food, water and some attention every day.

How someone treats their dog, within reason, wouldn't normally be any of my business, not everyone has to treat their dogs how I treat mine, but seeing as she's involving me, making her pay some money is my way of making her take some responsibility for her dog in making decisions in her life. Every time she makes her plans, then thinks "oh what will I do with the dog?".

Like you say Mjosa, I don't really know why she has the dog. She was given her as a puppy by her ex when their relationship was on the rocks (I know :rolleyes: ), I think she liked the "cute little puppy", then the puppy grew up and the novelty wore off. Now I think she keeps the dog because she doesn't want to look bad for giving her away and she gets away with not having her life too inconvenienced.

Sigh...

In all fairness I think she does care about the dog to some extent, she's just caught up in herself and doesn't think about the dog's needs.

Hmmm, just read more posts - maybe I will make it $20.

Neva, I know you were kidding about the vacc cert, but actually I'm not at all sure her vaccs are up to date :( . My dogs' are though so they should be ok shouldn't they??

I will ask her to pay up front. Though the money probably won't be needed for actual day to day expenses, and won't make much difference to my overall finances, I will need it if I have to take her to the vet.

Whatever you charge per night, you may want to get her to sign an agreement about unforseen extra expenses. E.g. if you have to take the dog to a vet for any reason, in the event the dog gets loose and you have to bail it out of the pound etc. Make sure the dog's microchip details are up to date and has you as the "holiday" contact too, just in case the dog darts off.