I'm So Excited! And I Just Can't Hide It!

Ness1409

I know I'm new here, and none of you know me from Adam, but I know you will be able to understand my immense joy and happiness :)

I have recently moved to Oz from the UK and my two gorgeous labradors have been in quarantine in Sydney for 30 days and I miss them so much it makes my heart hurt :(

Gawd I have leaky eyes again now just typing that! <insert pause for a moment while I wipe away the tears>

BUT... No more tears! Not any more :D

Tomorrow I am making the marathon drive from Brisbane to Sydney In a day, and then at 0830 hrs on Wednesday morning as soon as the AQIS quarantine station at Eastern Creek opens, I'll be bashing down the doors and giving my lads the biggest cuddle of their lives :D

Woohoo!!!

So, I have:

food bowls & water bowl

Collars & leads (albeit collars have our UK address on them, so I do need to fix that - can anyone recommend a good Red Dingo tag supplier who engraves nice & deep?)

Poo bags

Whistle for recalling them once I find someplace they can run about offlead

Nutro dog food (I only bought a small bag as not sure about it - is this a good quality food? I fed excellent stuff back in the UK but it's not available here, and not sure how this compares?)

Some liver-y treat thingies

Millbemax wormer - this is what they were on in the UK, but it didn't cover heartworm there (as we didn't need it) and apparently this one does? Also back in UK you could only get Millbemax on prescription,whereas I bought this over the counter at a petstore, so again not sure if it is any good?

Advantix flea & tick treatment - apparently this one is the best as the ticks don't have to bite the dogs to get poisoned?

Am paranoid about both ticks & heartworm as I lost dogs to both when I was a child living here, and they were horrendous experiences which I certainly don't want to repeat :(

So.... What have I forgotten to do/buy?

Also, can anyone suggest some wonderful walks with the boys while we're in Sydney? I will have 2 full days to explore, and will be staying in Kingsford. Happy to drive up to an hour each way for a fabulous walk - thinking 5+ km type walks. Or a beach? Definitely want to let them offlead somewhere to run off some steam as they have been cooped up for a month now. Was thinking of parking somewhere near the harbour bridge and walking across it with the dogs - I assume as long as they're on leads, I can do that? Or is that somewhere else the dogs are banned? Would love to take them on a ferry to Manly maybe, are they allowed on the ferries?

Oooooooh I am SO EXCITED!!!

:)

Ness

No dogs on ferry from memory.

I'd say - drive down to Little Austimer before Wollongong. Its an off lead dog beach about hour's drive south.

Otherwise, go up to Lake Parramatta - its a 4km walk around it.

Closest big offlead area to where you are is Sydney Park at St Peters - about 10 mins from you. Just don't let them in the ponds because you get fined plus they've normally got blue green algae in them.

:thumbsup: I know the feeling only too well - 14 months ago I collected my two dogs and one cat from quarantine after moving over from the UK :) There were very happy tears all round :D

I still use Milbemax to worm my lot, it is the same as in the UK, it's just that the heartworm part isn't promoted there. I live on the West coast here and don't think the risk is quite so high as on the east coast :confused: ....we also don't have paralysis tick round Perth.

Hope you have a fantastic day tomorrow with your labs :D

eta - Welcome to DOL as well, it's a wealth of information :)

Edited by CrazyCresties

Oooooh Danois, thanks for the suggestion about Lake Paramatta, any idea if the dogs can go offload there? Or swim in the lake?

Sydney Park sounds lovely, but they are labs, seeing water and not being allowed to swim in it will not go down well so I'd have to keep them on lead, which would then negate the idea of going to an offload park... But I will check it out for sure, my friend who I am staying with will probably have been there before with some of her clients (she does home boarding)

Ooooh CC, good to see someone else has been thru the hell which is quarantine separation :) did you notice any changes in your dogs when u bought them home? I am paranoid my two will have learnt to bark while they were in kennels. Thanks for the confirmation about Milbemax as well, good to hear!

I think I had better go to bed soon, I am supposed to be hitting the road at 5am tomorrow, so I guess I should try to get some sleep.

But still....

I'm so excited!

Doo doo doo doo

And I just can't hide it!

Doo doo doo doo doo doo

I'm about to lose control and I think I like it :)

Edited by Ness1409

Nah Lake Parramatta is on lead too.

Best bet for a good off lead romp is Callan Park in Rozelle - 120 odd acres at the old Pschy Hospital Grounds. Start up by Balmain Road, head all the way down and there is a little beach at the bottom (down by the bigger playing fields) where dogs can go. Then wander all the way back up again in a big circuit. Just don't park fully on the grass otherwise you get in trouble.

It would be about 25 mins from Kingsford I guess.

Aww I remember picking kovu up he had spent the whole time walking the kennel looking for a way out and only one girl could walk and feed him. One word of advice don't call out to them to soon or the will drag the poor handler with them!! Oh and the lead getting tangled in everyone's legs as you are greeted with alot of joy

Dogs are allowed on Ferries but you must sit outside.

Centennial park is nice to walk dogs in and not too far from Kingsford. You can walk around the whole park and there is also a large off leash area.

If you want to take a ferry- You can get off at Cremorne point- there is a 3km walk around the point and it leads to a big dog park. You can also continue on the harbouside walk which incorporates 2-3 other dog parks and dog beaches and goes past the zoo, depending on the route you take.

Or you could take the ferry to Mnaly and do the Manly-Spit bridge walk, its quite long (maybe a 4-5hr round trip depending on how often you stop) and incorporates some dog parks and a dog beach at clontarf as well.

Hope you have a great day with your dogs. I remember how excited we were to pick up our girl form quarantine when we came back form the UK!!!

If you really can’t wait to give them a run off lead there is a park in Blacktown (less than 10 mins away) you can go to. It isn’t a huge park but I am sure the dogs would appreciate it after being in quarantine! It is a fenced off leash area and deserted during the week: http://www.westernsydneyparklands.com.au/page/venues/dog-walking/

Have you got them any toys? Tennis balls if they like to fetch?

Also Cafe Bones is an excellent dog park. They have dog cappuccinos. This park is closer to the city.

http://www.cafebones.com.au/

I bet you are so excited! I would be too.

How exciting for you and your boys. :thumbsup:

With the milbemax, if you're using it to prevent heartworm, make sure you give it monthly, not 3 mthly like you do for intestinal worms. Sure you knew that already though. :)

(I mention this only because one of the vets I work with recently swore till he was black and blue in the face that milbemax doesn't do heartworm. I had to show him the pamphlet :rolleyes:)

I know how you feel! In 2003 we picked up our cat from quarantine. She wasn't much of a talker usually but boy did we get a telling off!

It was so wonderful to see her again...not so wonderful to try to get her into a travel box for the car trip! We could just see her thinking "No way in hell am I going into a box again! Last time you put me in one I was stuck in it for ages and ended up here where they talk funny!" :laugh:

Good luck!