My Turn, My Turn

Esky the husky

I would eventually like to add another dog to our family pack.

We are a young couple with 1 cat and Esky the Siberian.

What I/ we want:

A dog that I can sled with. Has to be at least medium sized but deerhound sized. :laugh:

A dog that wants to be with it's people.

A dog that can be 'loyal' and 'trustworthy'

OH has said no to any more huskies (or malamutes)

This is what he doesn't like about huskies

*direct quote*

Cheekiness knows no bound

independant nature doesn't suit companion animals

Anyone got some ideas of breeds that might suit us that I could research?

I've been looking at a few, but DOL is always a great source of inspiration ;)

I've never done sledding before, but I have heard a few GSP's that have done so. Very limited grooming requirements, very people orientated, loyal and affectionate. Could possibly fit what you are after. Most cope well with cats if exposed to them from a young age.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.272676692772261.74897.120996534606945&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=272679282772002&set=a.272676692772261.74897.120996534606945&type=3&theater

I know you don't mean right NOW but meet Hunter. He is GSP x Amstaff as best as I can determine. He wants to be with his people lots, he is fabulous with cats and is young enough to learn how to sled. :D

Sounds like a few of the larger gundogs may suit.

How long are the sledding runs for? If its a fairly long distance look at breeds bred to 'work all day' like herding and gundog breeds, conformation is important for soundness.

It's not too far, nothing like overseas.

1 dog runs are about the 3-3.5 kms 2 dog runs are slightly more. But then you have 2 dogs doing the work.

There are some GSPs who run and a guy who has Labs.

GSD :)

Got a 2 dog team of GSD's who run down this way as well.

OH however embarrassed me at the last show we went to together, loudly stating his opinions on show GSDs *sigh* :o

This is only the 2nd time I have done this as I tend to not willy nilly recommend my breed to just anyone.... but what about the Rottweiler??

Ticks all your boxes and I have a feeling your OH might be partial to this idea ;)

They are for all intents and purposes, a working breed. Bred and raised correctly they will work all day. Super strong and have been bred to pull carts so not difficult to teach a Rott to pull a sled.

Wash and wear coat, about as loyal as you can get, most of them are very affectionate and most that I know including all mine, have excellent "off" buttons. In fact they are pretty much lounge lizards when I am not requiring them to work.

Rottweilers will live with any other species of family member when introduced sensibly.

Edited by dyzney

Ooh, Rotties. I'm very fond of rotties, and they would quite possibly suit. Boxer? Similar size to a sibe, athletic, will go for hours as long as it's not too hot, at home they think they're lap dogs and all the ones I've known have been pullers :) Of course, you'd have to like short faces.

This is only the 2nd time I have done this as I tend to not willy nilly recommend my breed to just anyone.... but what about the Rottweiler??

Ticks all your boxes and I have a feeling your OH might be partial to this idea ;)

I was wondering if they would be suited.

OH has owned 2 'rotties' (they weren't registered purebreds, I think one was a mix ) before and he really likes the breed.

The only concern I've had so far was about HD

Working line GSD?

Dally, will run allday.

Kelpie, too small?

Dyz, would a rottie really run alot in hot weather? just curious, as the 2 i walk suffer in the heat.( love the breed) :)

Our race rules don't allow dogs to be run when the temp is over 15 degrees :)

How do you find your Dally's temperament Juice? I've heard some say they can be challenging.

Edited by Esky the husky

Working line GSD?

Dally, will run allday.

Kelpie, too small?

Dyz, would a rottie really run alot in hot weather? just curious, as the 2 i walk suffer in the heat.( love the breed) :)

Absolutely. Provided you ensure they are fit prior to endeavouring endurance type work (as you would with any dog) they can run marathons.

Any reasonable fit adult Rott can do a 4km @ 10kmph on it's ear. For further distances I would build it up. I used to take mine our horse riding with me which was a couple of hrs at a time. The same bitch I did very competative afility with for several years, right throughout Summer, (except when trials broke over Christmas). It would be nothing for her to do 8 Masters level runs on a 38 degree day and she either won or placed almost every single time. She would even have energy to burn afterwards.

Rottis do ETs, and yes this is done in cool weather, but with conditioning, warm weather is OK also.

Herding can take a lot of energy work (when the dog works harder than it needs to) and there are a lot of Rottis in Vic herding at the moment.

Are the 2 you walk fit and of optimum body weight? Are they dogs that have been worked all their lives or are they just house dogs that only go for a walk. That will make a difference.

Also, are they suffering or are they just panting a lot and it appears to you that they are suffering.

Even super fit Rottis can be loud panters, and may appear to be suffering at the end of exercise, but all they will be doing is resting and cooling themselves down.

Rottis are also fantastic swimmers. My 8.5 year old girl here can swim pretty much endlessly, of course I wouldn't allow it, but she has so much strength an stamina for her age.

The trick with Rottis is to keep their body and mind active right throughout and they can do almost anything.

Obviously doing a lot of hard exercise with any dog, owners must let sensibility prevail and know what they are doing, know the dog inside out, but I get the feeling that ETH knows what she is doing :)