Where Have All The Black Dogs Gone?

sandgrubber

I've been looking for a chocolate factored or dominant black Labrador stud in the US. I'm finding more chocos than blacks . . . and most of the blacks seem to be yellow factored. And more yellows than anything. It's like people with a BBEE don't bother putting the dog at stud.

Australia seemed to be going the same direction.

I've heard lots of complaints about the rise of chocolates.

But no one seems to be noticing the decline of the blacks . . .

So sad! I love to see a glossy black coat . . . and black is the orignial and the dominant colour.

I don't know how many puppy buyers I've told . . . if you want a really good Lab, especially a bitch, go for black . . . people will pay more for a poor quality chocolate than a good quality black. As for yellow girls, no breeder ever has enough.

My very first dog as a kid was a black Lab girl.... couldn't fault her at all... the perfect family pet...

My current Lab girl is yellow... and her name is Trouble... suits her to a tee... *grin*

I will always have a soft spot for any big black dog though... there really isn't anything more stunning than a glossy back coat IMHO...

T.

I LOVE my big black Lab x GR's beautiful shiny coat and big goopy eyes. I would really like a black boy pup next, soon enough for Stevie to teach manners to. The only problem is that the black coat soaks up the heat and I see Stevie suffer much more than Jodie (dark brown Kelpie cross) and the yellow Labs and Goldens that we meet, so I'm not sure if it's the right dog for us in SW Sydney where the walking we do is on footpaths and roadways, dodging from shade patch to shade patch.