Dogs " Not To Buy"

Guest Ams

At least he is "nice enough" to take the time to reply however uniformed he may be

"Me: farmer Dave I was just wondering what your personal experience with these breeds of dogs is? "Adidi , Akbash, Anatolian Shepherd, Castro Laboreiro, Cuacasian Ovtcharka, Estrela Mountain, Great Pyrenees, Kangal, Komondor, Kuvasz, Maremma Sheepdog, Middle Asian Ovtcharka, Perrp de Pastor Mallorquin, Polish Tatra Sheepdog, Pyrenean Mastiff, Sarplaninac, South Russian Ovtcharka, Tibetan Kyi-Apso, Tibetan Mastiff, Tornjak". Many of these breds are not in Australia so what countries did you visit to know what breed characteristics or temperaments they have?

Farmer Dave : Hey Donna great to hear from you, the article you are referring to I highlight what an LGD is. I don't profess to have expirince with them all. I stand by my position that LGD are bred to do just that be livestock Guardians. for two reasons...,1. increase their use in livestock farming so that baiting can be eliminated and terrible deaths of dogs avoided. 2. make people with little experience think twice about acquiring a dog that has many traits that I believe are unsuitable for the urban environment and that people can choose other dogs with the traits they do like in a Maremma. I appreciate that you may not think this way and appreciate that is a good thing, as neither of our positions will actually hurt anyone.

Me: As a past and future CASD/CAO owner I have been lucky enough to have mine as not only a flock guardian but also as a family pet. My main issue is that the LGD community have always been very selective in their endeavour to find suitable hom...es for their pups, most people interested in these breeds have researched LGD's. I feel articles such as yours draws attention to the "behavioural traits" that undesirable owners may find appealing. Many breeds have been tarnished by the owners rather than the breed and it is something that I certainly do not want to see for our LGD breeds"

I have always been very vocal in my belief that my chosen breed requires dedicated and suitable owners but I also believe these types of article maybe quasi accurate they also bring the breeds to the attention of the wrong people

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just had a read of some of his training articles and they were.....interesting

http://www.farmerdav...ke-to-pull.html

Huh, that is.... interesting. I suppose it's the 'teach a dog to bark so you can teach him to shush' philosophy, but I'm not a fan. I have dogs that pull on the jog to the park and not on the way back, and the way down I get much more of a sore back and calves than being able to jog at my own pace on the way back.

I also had a trainer once who had huskies and said that taking them sledding made training a loose lead walk muuuch more difficult :shrug:

I agree tho that he seems to be taking this onslaught of passionate dog ladies on his FB and email quite well :laugh:

See I see some of his comments as feigning politeness more than actual politeness.

Agreed.

I am pretty sure he said he was going to take it down, but then he put it back up. confused.gif Just to educate people so they don't get the wrong dog.

His blindly devoted fans seem a bit odd as well - accusing everyone of hating just because they don't want their breed misrepresented confused.gif I thought those doing so were being very civil

I personally could not care less what some guy who was on some reality tv show some time thinks, but a lot of people do and as Sandra said it could have bad effects.

I agree with most of that except the mandatory desexing. I think desexing is a personal choice. Not only that but one of the best ways to become a 'professional breeder' is to become involved in the show community. Try doing that with a desexed dog.

I have always been very vocal in my belief that my chosen breed requires dedicated and suitable owners but I also believe these types of article maybe quasi accurate they also bring the breeds to the attention of the wrong people

ahh good thinking, Cas. I was actually looking at it from the other side and thinking if someone was so easily influenced by that article and turned off getting a particular breed because of it they probably didnt understand the breed to start with so a good thing they didnt get one.

I've been following this thread and agree with everything that has been said against FD's article.

It seems a little ironic that on FD's webpage - http://www.farmerdave.com.au/dog-training/dog-information/training-tips/574-hey-jeff-where-are-your-facts-whats-that-there-are-none.html, he clearly says:

"Sure, say what you will about same sex parents, but when you have a position like yours, make sure you have the facts to back it up.... after all not quoting any scientific research may just mean that you are speaking shit and have no basis for such prejudice".

Practice what you preach FD!

I've been following this thread and agree with everything that has been said against FD's article.

It seems a little ironic that on FD's webpage - http://www.farmerdave.com.au/dog-training/dog-information/training-tips/574-hey-jeff-where-are-your-facts-whats-that-there-are-none.html, he clearly says:

"Sure, say what you will about same sex parents, but when you have a position like yours, make sure you have the facts to back it up.... after all not quoting any scientific research may just mean that you are speaking shit and have no basis for such prejudice".

Practice what you preach FD!

Amen to that!

hehe after doing a search on two (correctly spelled) phrases, they both show up on other people's websites.

:laugh:

The rather exotic breed list is a cut and paste from here: link "Adidi , Akbash, Anatolian Shepherd, Castro Laboreiro, Cuacasian Ovtcharka, Estrela Mountain, Great Pyrenees, Kangal, Komondor, Kuvasz, Maremma Sheepdog, Middle Asian Ovtcharka, Perrp de Pastor Mallorquin, Polish Tatra Sheepdog, Pyrenean Mastiff, Sarplaninac, South Russian Ovtcharka, Tibetan Kyi-Apso, Tibetan Mastiff, Tornjak"

The touch insensitivity stuff takes you directly to this page link

"One of the traits that was selectively bred for in the pit bull in order to make this dog breed into a more efficient fighter is what is known as touch insensitivity. This trait of touch insensitivity is common to dogs bred for fighting so that despite being severely wounded they would continue fighting. A dog high in this trait would be pretty much impervious to a might yank on its chain which goes a long way in explaining why it is so difficult to call off and disengage a pit bull engaged in an attack"

And then I stopped looking. My brain hurts.

hehe after doing a search on two (correctly spelled) phrases, they both show up on other people's websites.

:laugh:

The rather exotic breed list is a cut and paste from here: link "Adidi , Akbash, Anatolian Shepherd, Castro Laboreiro, Cuacasian Ovtcharka, Estrela Mountain, Great Pyrenees, Kangal, Komondor, Kuvasz, Maremma Sheepdog, Middle Asian Ovtcharka, Perrp de Pastor Mallorquin, Polish Tatra Sheepdog, Pyrenean Mastiff, Sarplaninac, South Russian Ovtcharka, Tibetan Kyi-Apso, Tibetan Mastiff, Tornjak"

The touch insensitivity stuff takes you directly to this page link

"One of the traits that was selectively bred for in the pit bull in order to make this dog breed into a more efficient fighter is what is known as touch insensitivity. This trait of touch insensitivity is common to dogs bred for fighting so that despite being severely wounded they would continue fighting. A dog high in this trait would be pretty much impervious to a might yank on its chain which goes a long way in explaining why it is so difficult to call off and disengage a pit bull engaged in an attack"

And then I stopped looking. My brain hurts.

So he has basically plagiarized a whole heap of the content, failing to attribute the original author/s. In the academic world such a thing would result in a big FF and disciplinary action!

It just keeps getting better, doesn't it? :mad

ahh good thinking, Cas. I was actually looking at it from the other side and thinking if someone was so easily influenced by that article and turned off getting a particular breed because of it they probably didnt understand the breed to start with so a good thing they didnt get one.

My biggest concern is that articles like these can influence people to support BSL. This article is not saying don't own these dogs unless you know what you're getting yourself into (which I would agree with). It is instead saying, don't own these dogs because they were bred for functions that make them incompatiable with society today.

I think Farmer Dave is a nom de plume for Don Burke.

Sound so much like him.

Christina, you're not wrong!

FD's comments are going in the opposite direction of the evidence re managing dogs for safety. Like, the US Veterinary Association set up a task force to examine the question & their conclusions included not going down Breed Labelling Tells All track.

He's putting so many breeds at risk of being seen to be more suspect & so, more dump-able and less rescue-able. His 'don't buy' call, goes so much further!

Edited by mita