Lab Puppies - $1200+

AlanMatic

Just having a scout around registered breeders for a labrador puppy addition to the family. Last time I went through this rigmarole, the standard price was circa $800 on the limited register - this standard now seems to be around $1200 - and up.

Yes, I am willing and able to pay the right price for a quality pup. Yes, I'm aware (to some extent) of the testing involved, the costs involved, the high price for a quality diet etc etc.

But for such a common breed, is $1200 really a justified price for a standard, non showing, non breeding family pet?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there really should be little to no difference between a pup that shows and just a family pet when it comes to their physical health and temperament.

Price wise, if you're not happy keep looking, a lot of breeders can mean a lot of variability in pricing.

But for such a common breed, is $1200 really a justified price for a standard, non showing, non breeding family pet?

Forget what breed it is. The question should be about what type of breeder they are. Are they responsible and ethical and health and temperament test. $1200 could be an absolute bargain. Doesn't matter if its show potential or pet, the same amount of effort has gone into that pup.

I think that vast majority of puppy buyers have no idea what goes into breeding and raising a litter, when you're attempting to do it right, ethically and responsibly.

Our pedigree dogs on the whole are undervalued and most , if not all could double in price and it still would not reflect their true worth.

Just having a scout around registered breeders for a labrador puppy addition to the family. Last time I went through this rigmarole, the standard price was circa $800 on the limited register - this standard now seems to be around $1200 - and up.

Yes, I am willing and able to pay the right price for a quality pup. Yes, I'm aware (to some extent) of the testing involved, the costs involved, the high price for a quality diet etc etc.

Supply and demand is what dives the price. The rarity of a dog does not necessarily demand a higher price; especially when there is no demand. Yes labs are common but they are also in high demand.

Supply and demand is what dives the price. The rarity of a dog does not necessarily demand a higher price; especially when there is no demand. Yes labs are common but they are also in high demand.

So... breeders charge more just because they can? Ouch!

I'm not suggesting demand is the only variable in price determination. The cost of raising large litters, which labs typically are, can be enormous...as is choosing/purchasing semen from excellent quality stock etc.

Edited by suziwong66

I think you need to do some research on breeding, there is far more involved than what the potential puppy owner sees.

If you want to pay me what the real costs are I would be thrilled. My last pup cost around $4000 due to complications and he was sold for only $1200. By the time you add up stud fees, vet bills including any prog tests A.I's and ultra sounds or xrays or c sections, extra food and any medication that they may need - and any whelping equipment that may need to be purchased or replaced. Time off work so the pups have undivided attention means no income for a several weeks - $1200 for a pup is bloody cheap....

I am not saying that money is not made from litters but if you were to do a yearly or 5 yr plan for those who only have the odd litter what profit is made from one litter has already been spent with problems that often occur in breeding - including loss of whole litters or worse still, loss of the bitch. I have spent thousands just like every other breeder and still been well and truly in the red when the pups are sold.

oddly enough if the pup was in a pet store window the price usually isnt blinked at.

So true! :)

I am pleased to see the "usually" in the first part of the quote. :D

I would not dream of paying what is asked for in pet shops. Do the breeders of those animals get a large cut of the price? Or is it all profit for the pet shop involved?

Putting the profit aside, I want to know what I am getting. My dog while growing up taught me some valuable lessons, and I don't want to make the mistakes which may parents made. I want to know the history of the parents, I want to know the background health, I want to make sure I am getting the right dog for my family. I feel like the only way to go for us is through a registered breeder.

As for the initial price query. I would not hesitate to spend the money if I felt that the breeder was ethical and responsible. :)

I think you need to do some research on breeding, there is far more involved than what the potential puppy owner sees.

If you want to pay me what the real costs are I would be thrilled. My last pup cost around $4000 due to complications and he was sold for only $1200. By the time you add up stud fees, vet bills including any prog tests A.I's and ultra sounds or xrays or c sections, extra food and any medication that they may need - and any whelping equipment that may need to be purchased or replaced. Time off work so the pups have undivided attention means no income for a several weeks - $1200 for a pup is bloody cheap....

I am not saying that money is not made from litters but if you were to do a yearly or 5 yr plan for those who only have the odd litter what profit is made from one litter has already been spent with problems that often occur in breeding - including loss of whole litters or worse still, loss of the bitch. I have spent thousands just like every other breeder and still been well and truly in the red when the pups are sold.

I would love to learn more about the real costs of pedigree breeding. If only more breeder's websites listed a real "glimpse" into the day to day responsibilities and costs involved. A little transparency in the world of pedigree dog breeding could really help potential owners/purchasers to understand the costs involved with rearing a litter; and help that $1200+ price tag become understandable.

I don't believe that promoting exclusivity via very high pricing is really helping the dogs - as the gap between pet store or backyard breeder and registered breeder grows wider, surely many will take the cheaper route (thus increasing pet store demand) when the benefits of buying pedigree, and the costs of breeding pedigree animals, are not clearly understood.

How does one go about finding an ethical breeder when purchasing from interstate? :shrug: The breeder's facilities can't be viewed and as every breeder sets their own price tag, the cost doesn't seem to reflect actual quality of life for the dogs in question.

Chat to a few breeders and you soon get a glimpse of the real costs (financial and otherwise) of breeding.

I regularly talk to my dog's breeder and recently learnt of the huge vet bills she faced after his litter was born. The bitch had problems during whelping, haemhoraged (sp?) afterwards and needed a blood transfusion. She was subsequently speyed, earlier than planned. One of the pups was deaf and a suitable home was not found, so the breeder has kept him. Another pup was returned to the breeder as the family who took her decided a puppy was too much hard work.

So now she has 3 dogs that can't be shown (both those pups were limited register) and can't be a part of her breeding program. Between the emergency vet costs, normal litter costs (microchipping, feeding, vaccinations, worming etc) and lifelong care costs for the desexed bitch and returned/ retained pups that litter cost her a lot more than what the other pups were sold for.

Lucky she loves the breed. ;)

edited to add: AlanMatic, as for how to choose an ethical breeder from interstate, do you need to look interstate?

I guess the big plus about looking closer to home is that you can visit the breeder. You can see their dogs first hand, and the conditions they are kept in. It wouldn't hurt to go to some dog shows and see some dogs and chat to some breeders too. I imagine there are quite a few ethical, registered breeders of Labs in Qld. :confused:

Edited by trinabean

I would love to learn more about the real costs of pedigree breeding. If only more breeder's websites listed a real "glimpse" into the day to day responsibilities and costs involved. A little transparency in the world of pedigree dog breeding could really help potential owners/purchasers to understand the costs involved with rearing a litter; and help that $1200+ price tag become understandable.

I am not a breeder but i've learnt a lot from this forum. You have the costs of maintaining a pregnant bitch which includes Ultrasounds and other tests plus extra food. The costs of health testing. You have the costs of lost wages for breeders who have an ordinary paid job every day. You have the costs of vet checks for the pups plus vaccinations for all pups. Sometimes the cost of surgery for Cesareans. The cost of feeding those pups and raising them and also the cost of keeping a pup if it does not find a home. And what happens if there is just one or no surviving pups in the litter or heaven forbid, the mum dies. These are just examples.

I don't believe that promoting exclusivity via very high pricing is really helping the dogs - as the gap between pet store or backyard breeder and registered breeder grows wider, surely many will take the cheaper route (thus increasing pet store demand) when the benefits of buying pedigree, and the costs of breeding pedigree animals, are not clearly understood.

Its not a pricing its their value. Many Breeders do not cover costs. If a person cannot afford a pup for $1200 it puts into question whether they can afford its yearly maintenance in vet fees, food etc.

How does one go about finding an ethical breeder when purchasing from interstate? :shrug: The breeder's facilities can't be viewed and as every breeder sets their own price tag, the cost doesn't seem to reflect actual quality of life for the dogs in question.

On referral. Many on this site will likely have experience with breeders in most states. Also registered breeders are supposed to abide by rules for breeding. Its the non ANKC breeders that you are most at risk of getting issues from. A web site will also tell you a lot. If a breeder appears to have litter after litter then i'd stay clear of them.

Trinabean - located in TAS currently. Yep, QLD had many more options to choose from!

Pixiemeg - In regards to "if someone doesn't have $1200 for a pup, maybe they shouldn't have one" - just having the money there does not ensure a good owner, does it. Plenty of wealthy people abuse/neglect animals, I'm sure. Different subject altogether though!

ETA: I'll spend some time in the breeder's forum to gain more of an understanding over the costs involved in producing pups. Thanks all for your input.

Edited by AlanMatic

Trinabean - located in TAS currently. Yep, QLD had many more options to choose from!

Pixiemeg - In regards to "if someone doesn't have $1200 for a pup, maybe they shouldn't have one" - just having the money there does not ensure a good owner, does it. Plenty of wealthy people abuse/neglect animals, I'm sure. Different subject altogether though!

i didn't say they shouldn't have one (maybe quote me more correctly), but the initial cost of a pup is so minuscule compared to the cost of yearly upkeep.