Professional Pet Transport Services In Australia

DogSvet

Hi all.

Just want to share my recent experience with "Dogtainers",one of the "best???" pet transport company in AU.

Knowing nothing about the Qantas strike, I dropped my 11 week old Shar-Pei puppy into Dogtainers Brisbane office 2 hrs before the flight, on the 10th of October 2011 at 8:55am, as instructed earlier. I was ensured that the flight was on time and in the case of any delay my puppy would be looked after. In exact words I was explained that “ my puppy will be taken to the Dogtainer’s Adelaide office from the airport and would be let out of the cage as Dogtainers have their own dog kennels, would be given food and water and then would be taken back to the airport”. In reality, the flight from Brisbane was delayed by 65min, and as a result my puppy missed her connecting flight from Adelaide to Whyalla. 7hrs later, at 4pm in the afternoon, I received a very disturbing phone call from Ashleigh, the new owner of my puppy, who through tears in her voice was trying to explain to me that Adelaide Dogtainers didn't even know for sure where the puppy was. When I called the Brisbane office for help, the same nice lady, who was so reassuring in the morning, explained to me in cool and calm voice that Brisbane office had done all they should have and now my puppy is not their problem anymore. Half an hour later I had an angry phone call from the Dogtainers in Adelaide who began to lecture me about keeping my “worry pants” on and asking me very rudely if I realised that their office is situated a long way away from the airport, and that I can’t expect them to travel back and forth just for my puppy. I felt at this point that the promise that my puppy would be in good care and have a safe journey was not being upheld. I was very angry and upset at this point, my poor puppy was locked in her cage, scared and alone for 10 hours and for some reason I was being spoken to as if I was in the wrong. I understand that airline strikes and flight delays can’t be controlled but there is no excuse for the Pet Transport company who according to their website “takes pride in providing a trusted, reliable, and affordable pet transport service” to put the animals and their owners through this kind of stress. The “Dogtainers” were highly recommended to me by another breeder because and I quote their website again “you can trust your special pet is in the safest of hands when you choose our professional Pet Transport services”. However, after my personal experience, I would find it hard to recommend the service to anyone else as I personally wouldn't want anyone else to be put through the same stressful and upsetting experience.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry DogSvet that you had such an awful experience, but I have shipped lots of puppies all over the country and not once, ever have I had even a tiny little drama with DogTainers. They are the ONLY company I have ever used and I trust them completely.

I'm sure airline strikes would make things very difficult for companies like DogTainers, and it sounds like they may have been very stressed when they were dealing with you. :)

for 10 hours......is that all.

Then have some thought for mine and a lot of others that are flying internationally.....mine is flying Georgia USA to LAX then more checks and then back into a crate to fly to Sydney.

Some flights within Aust may take up to ten hours depending on the flight connection. (that is from the time the pup may be crated)

I can tell you far worse stories than yours and yes I still fly pups and adults around the country.

That's what happens when you fly dogs. Anything can happen. Some flights get cancelled. Look what happens to some pasengers that are totally stranded. Here you are blaming a transport company for something that's beyond their control. I am sure the Transport Company and the Airlines met their comitments but it just took a little longer.

I agree, they can't do much about delays but it seems they were quite rude to you.

Obviously if the pup doesn't turn up where it is meant to you would be worried, the least they could do is explain the situation.

I have heard a lot of good things about Dogtainers and wouldnt necessarily discount them but they may need to improve their service, as could many other companies in Australia to be honest.

I would give them some feedback about their customer sevrice if I were you.

It was obviously a stressful time for everyone .

Write down - calmly and factually who said what to you, and when ... booking date/any identifying numbers etc ..and send to dogtainers head office.

A calm and firm email..stating all the appropriate detail may well help .

It was obviously a stressful time for everyone .

Write down - calmly and factually who said what to you, and when ... booking date/any identifying numbers etc ..and send to dogtainers head office.

A calm and firm email..stating all the appropriate detail may well help .

Agree with this.

Having had an experience where an airline lost a kitten and then tried to blame his breeder for not putting him on a flight I can't say I'm surprised. Most movements are fine some aren't and the rudeness and blame shifting when it goes wrong are unbelievable. A quick phone call to the person on the receiving end or yourself from Dogtainers explaining a flight was missed and there would be a delay should have been what you received - not the rudeness that occurred when you were forced to go looking for a missing puppy.

Goodluck getting an appropriate response from head office.

I agree, they can't do much about delays but it seems they were quite rude to you.

Obviously if the pup doesn't turn up where it is meant to you would be worried, the least they could do is explain the situation.

I have heard a lot of good things about Dogtainers and wouldnt necessarily discount them but they may need to improve their service, as could many other companies in Australia to be honest.

We have only heard the OP's side of the story. Maybe they were very rude to the Transport Company.

That's why I only commented on the transport side of matters.

We have only heard the OP's side of the story. Maybe they were very rude to the Transport Company.

Of course, that's why I said they "may" need to improve their customer service. I can only go on the information I have I also added that I had heard good things about them. I hardly bagged the company out.

I have found both JetPets and DogTainers a bit blah in terms of their customer service. Neither company is very nice or professional to communicate with.

However, I haven't actually had any problems with either in terms of their transport of my animals. Everything has been done as requested.

It sounds like Dogtainers Adelaide were just like Dogtainers Adelaide always is - a bit lacking in customer service. It's unfortunate.

Of course, that's why I said they "may" need to improve their customer service. I can only go on the information I have I also added that I had heard good things about them. I hardly bagged the company out.

I never said you did. :)

I just want to point out that we have only heard one side of the story. :)

Hi all,

I was the person who bought the puppy of Svetlana and I would like to share my side as well, as my trouble with Dogtainers - ADELAIDE started well before the puppy even began the journey.

I had booked and paid for the service a month prior to the travel, and received written confirmation. I knew that I would be working the day I was getting my puppy and as I do not get phone service, I gave Dogtainers my work number, personal email address & work email address. On the Friday night (puppy was due to fly Monday) I received a voicemail message from the Dogtainers Adelaide office saying that “as you have not got back to us, we assume you do not want to transport your dog anymore” that was the whole message. I tried calling back but it was already closed so I rang the emergency mobile number left on the answering machine. I spoke with a woman who was blatantly rude to me and said I was only supposed to call that number for emergencies (which I felt this was, as the puppy was due to travel before the office would re-open on the Monday). The lady then got nasty with me that I should of called back during office hours, but I did not have service, and they did not try to contact me on any of the other options I left them. I explained my situation that I had paid, and the money had come off of my credit card and that I had emailed confirmation of the booking and she just said ‘well we have no record – so nothing is booked’ and was making it seem as if I was lying.. then she said quite rudely that she would have to go to the office the next day to sort it out. I again reminded her that I have no service so gave her all my other numbers/email addresses again. On the Saturday afternoon after I tried calling her 5 or 6 times she finally answered and said that she already left me a message on my phone (even after telling her numerous times not to call my mobile), and that everything was booked – and she just blamed it on someone else. That was the end of the conversation with her about it.

On the day of the flight – I found out thru the Qantas website that my puppies flight was delayed and wouldn’t make the connecting one – I emailed Dogtainers immediately and got no response. It wasn’t until well after the flight was meant to have landed in Adelaide that Dogtainers finally got in contact with me and told me she would be 5 hours late. I know that this was not their mistake at all but I had already organised time off work etc, so I was pretty upset that they didn’t tell me sooner. I get that animals travel frequently – but my puppy had also recently had surgery. And it was more about the attitude of the Dogtainers employees & the lack of professionalism that really bothered me and the fact that we were promised things that did not happen.

Svetlana has already explained what happened the rest of the time.

I just felt like I paid a lot of money to use a professional company, and was treated quite poorly. It was their mistake about the non-payment issue, and I didn’t get an apology, I was still treated as if it was my error. The entire dealings I had with the Adelaide office made me feel as if I had done something wrong. I have never used this company before, and never will again as I do not appreciate the way I was spoken to.

If all of that had happened, but the employees were nice about it and didn’t promise things they didn’t deliver, I wouldn’t have a problem at all. Mistakes happen & I get that they can’t control the airlines BUT they have a lot of improving they need to do on their customer service skills

I have found both JetPets and DogTainers a bit blah in terms of their customer service. Neither company is very nice or professional to communicate with.

However, I haven't actually had any problems with either in terms of their transport of my animals. Everything has been done as requested.

It sounds like Dogtainers Adelaide were just like Dogtainers Adelaide always is - a bit lacking in customer service. It's unfortunate.

Most definately. I have read other posts about the Adelaide office being rude. It's a shame, because no matter how good a company might do a job, if the customer service is poor, it brings the entire experience down.

Hi All.

Ashleigh and I are going ahead with a complaint against “Dogtainers".

We hope that this will be addressed, and maybe help future customers of Dogtainers – so that they are not as disappointed and upset by the situation as we were.

However,I couldn't find Dogtainers Head office postal address.

Can anybody help?

Hi All.

Ashleigh and I are going ahead with a complaint against “Dogtainers".

We hope that this will be addressed, and maybe help future customers of Dogtainers – so that they are not as disappointed and upset by the situation as we were.

However,I couldn't find Dogtainers Head office postal address.

Can anybody help?

Difficulties in transportation are just one of the problems to be considered in selling puppies.

We have never had problems with shipping even in importing but I know of some truly terrible outcomes.

My largest concern about selling at a distance is the inability to inspect the home and to meet the prospective owner/s.

The statistics of puppies living their whole lives with one family are not good. If things go wrong at a distance who is there to help the dog? As breeders we are responsible for these little lives for all their time on earth. We need to be very careful.

JMHO

Gablehaus

Most definately. I have read other posts about the Adelaide office being rude. It's a shame, because no matter how good a company might do a job, if the customer service is poor, it brings the entire experience down.

I'll certainly think twice about using Dogtainers in the future if we ever get another pup from interstate or need to fly Wilbur out of state. Clear, respectful communication is an integral part of the service you paid for; shame you didn't get it :(

Hi All,

I also bought a puppy the same time as Ashleigh did off DogSvet and she was flown to me from Brisbane to

the Whitsunday coast. I only had to deal with the Brisbane Dogtainers and not Adelaide.....thank god. They were lovely

and contacted me to let me know, my puppy was on her way. I too have heard a lot of bad remarks about the service of the

Adelaide dogtainers company. So in saying that, its not all dogtainers company that have rude people. Had I receive this service from the Brisbane office,

I too would be taken action. For the simple reason a puppy who has just had surgery, should not be locked up anywhere for 10 hours with no water of food.

If you locked your dog in the car for 10 hours with no food and water even with all the windows down, what will happen. You will get in massive trouble. Its

classed as neglect. The problem here is NO you can not help flight delays, but dogtainers were suppose to be there to look after the dog until it was on the

flight to her new home. We pay a lot of money to have our dogs well taken care of and to make sure they feel safe and

comfortable as this is all knew to a puppy who would be a nervous wreck as it is. In DogSvet situation the flight was delayed so fair enough, where were dogtainers

to let both Ashleigh and DogSvet know this. No where is site when they should have been. Where were dogtainers Adelaide when they were informed about the delay, again

nowhere in site when they should have gone and picked puppy up and let her out, give her water and food till her flight was right to go again. They were asked to go and

pick her up, but they whined because they were too far away from the airport to do this. Is this what we paid them for, did they not state this on there site:

With over 30 years of experience in delivering any pet, anywhere, anytime – you can trust your special pet is in the safest of hands when you choose our professional Pet Transport services.

In my eyes Dogtainers Adelaide failed big time in their duty of care to the puppy, to Ashleigh and to DogSvet. On top of it all, they had to deal with Rude dogtainers staff. Great Customer service goes a long way, being rude, is just not on considering the money you pay, but not so much the money, the worry of where and what's happening to that innocent little puppy who has

never in its life so far been exposed to something so scary the first time.

Edited by jeno72