Cost Of Show Handling

vesper12

As a handler of a number of breeds, I think its more about teh warm feelign you get when you handle a dog well and the results show, especially for those that are genuinely unable to do it themselves due to health or age.

I dont charge personally- but if you were looking at paying a handler it would depend on a large amount of factors:

a) are you taking the dog to the show and bathing and grooming it to its best advantage to set the handler up to pick it up ringside and walk in the ring. If the handler takes the dog and they also take 3 of their own, then expect to pay a quarter of their petrol money.

b) if the handler IS taking the dog with them and needs to grooming, fed and house the dog, then expect approximately the price of a boarding kennel for that period of time

c) same price again added to it if handler is showing dog out of their home range and needs to get accomodation- again depending on amount of dogs they have with them- pay your share

d) and the handler needs to eat/drink whilst at a show/away for a weekend, so pay your fair share of that too-

e)then there will be a base fee- so there is a base price to handle the dog, plus bonuses to consider the better your dog does.

and most of all, a handler loves to know that what they do makes you feel good about yourself and does you proud. (well I do anyway lol) You have to think- handling any amount of dogs, especially at places like KCC Park with their concrete floors, is a big strain on a handlers legs and feet, so look after them :)

Edited by Edpra

Thank you Edpra! That was helpful. It is not so difficult to work out the price for petrol, accommodation, grooming and some other expenses,but what about showing the dog in the ring? I am from Europe, and it is normal thing to pay handler for it's job, of course some handlers show dogs for free to get more experience and confidence. But in Europe there are more dog owners involved in dog show world and the interest in professional handlers quiet high. So, they do a job for you and you have to pay for it.

The question is what is the average price for showing dog in the ring?

In SA there are a couple of people that charge for handling in Group 6 and there are also lots of very capable, experienced handlers in Group 6 who do not.

I don't charge, never have. But I'm particular about what I handle and have handled for some lovely people with some lovely dogs, so that's enough for me. I have received some nice pressies as thank yous (new suits etc) but it's certainly not why I do it. I don't do grooming, taking on roadtrips etc, I just meet ringside for a show, but I have spent time training in my own time

I think that our show scene is a little better off for not having masses of pro handlers, it means it's not a rich person's sport (mostly) and also encourages people towards handling their own dogs which can be very personally satisfying..

Edited by Rottshowgirl

In SA there are a couple of people that charge for handling in Group 6 and there are also lots of very capable, experienced handlers in Group 6 who do not.

I don't charge, never have. But I'm particular about what I handle and have handled for some lovely people with some lovely dogs, so that's enough for me. I have received some nice pressies as thank yous (new suits etc) but it's certainly not why I do it. I don't do grooming, taking on roadtrips etc, I just meet ringside for a show, but I have spent time training in my own time

I think that our show scene is a little better off for not having masses of pro handlers, it means it's not a rich person's sport (mostly) and also encourages people towards handling their own dogs which can be very personally satisfying..

:thumbsup: Well said Rottshowgirl. You show some amazing dogs.

I also handle other dogs and help out at ringside for those who needs help with multiple dogs.

I don't charge anyone for it, I do it because I want to learn about the other breeds and handling and and I just enjoy the thrill when dogs I handle do well, I love to learn and would take any opportunity to handle new breeds!

A Lowchen I handled went Best in Show at a Specialty Open Show (Over 30 dogs entered I think) a while back, so just to see the dog do so well and come out on top is just rewarding enough for me, I may not get to take home fringies or prizes, but I just do it for the experience and enjoyment of what showing is about! Just to see his owner face being so happy about it, is just priceless!

It's just depend on who is handling an what do they like to gain out of handling for other people.

I also handle other dogs and help out at ringside for those who needs help with multiple dogs.

I don't charge anyone for it, I do it because I want to learn about the other breeds and handling and and I just enjoy the thrill when dogs I handle do well, I love to learn and would take any opportunity to handle new breeds!

A Lowchen I handled went Best in Show at a Specialty Open Show (Over 30 dogs entered I think) a while back, so just to see the dog do so well and come out on top is just rewarding enough for me, I may not get to take home fringies or prizes, but I just do it for the experience and enjoyment of what showing is about! Just to see his owner face being so happy about it, is just priceless!

It's just depend on who is handling an what do they like to gain out of handling for other people.

I'm the same.

I just love to show and I have picked up some really great tricks for getting my own dogs to show better by taking other breeds.

Hahahah I'll take any opportunity to show another dog.

But I'm a crap handler... so no one is interested *evil grins*

But it is satisfying, I handled the BOB Afghan today and only for runoff, not my dog, but it's still lovely to feel like you've been a part of it.

I own and have handled dogs in Gr 1 and 6 (yes quite a difference! :laugh: ) over the years. I would never dream of charging anyone as I feel it's an honour to be asked to handle and I enjoy it. I've received gifts such as grooming equipment etc which is nice and unexpected.

I have been thrown all sorts of breeds over the years. Never expect anything for doing it but sometimes get bought a gift if I handle for them regularly.

The price professional handlers charge varies a lot. I know some who do it for $20 I know other who do it for hundreds for big shows like royals.

I would just ask around at shows, see if anyone would like to handle for you and go from there. Some people just go to shows with 1 dog of their own and handle 10 others through the day, some people just go to shows purely for the fun of it and like handling.