Aggressive Dog

If your dog is aggressive towards other dogs, there is no way you should be going to a dog park!

Get help from a trainer or behaviourist for the aggressive behaviour. Until then you just have to suck it up and walk on lead only. It is not fair on others or your dog to expose them to aggressive behaviour. For a run around, do they know anyone with some space where the dog can run every now and again?

And I do have a dog aggro dog, so I know how it feels. I wish I had gotten proper help MUCH earlier with my dog.

Here is someone they could try (for the Sydney person)

http://www.k9pro.com.au/

What wouldn't hurt is to do some focus exercises so they can get the dog's attention back on them when it sees another dog.

Thanks for that, I think the focus thing could help them with the other problem too I think they already looked up that website and were going to meet the fellow that runs it. I will remind her about following it up.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. I think it is wrong & very irresponsible for any dog owner to unleash a "knowingly" aggressive dog in a public place. Be it a park e.t.c leash-free area or not.

It jepardizes poor, unaware members of the public & their much loved four legged companions who are out & about enjoying their day. IMO must be leashed at all times & under control of the owner.

I think its irresponsible and wrong to judge someone like that before you've even met someone or their dog. As I said above this is a different case to the original post, the dog has never EVER been agressive in the time I have known her, my dogs play with her all the time and she is a lovely dog. I really really really really really realise now I shouldnt have posted it here. I just figured they would have a similar training technique or suggestions.

Hmmm. I think it is wrong & very irresponsible for any dog owner to unleash a "knowingly" aggressive dog in a public place. Be it a park e.t.c leash-free area or not.

It jepardizes poor, unaware members of the public & their much loved four legged companions who are out & about enjoying their day. IMO must be leashed at all times & under control of the owner.

Oh the pooooor other owners, setting our vicious dog on them so unsuspectingly... :rofl: Sorry can't help myself. I'm wondering if you're referring to the original post instead of mine?? :laugh:

Oh the pooooor other owners, setting our vicious dog on them so unsuspectingly... :rofl: Sorry can't help myself. I'm wondering if you're referring to the original post instead of mine?? :laugh:

I'm glad you think it's funny because it's definitely not a laughing matter to me :eek:

There have been lots of posts in the past about dog aggressive dogs so hopefully someone with experience will come here and post. Personally if I were the OP I would take Nekhbet's advice :)

If your mum's dog has no problem, and has never ever been aggressive..then why did you write these bolded bits? I'm confused.

My mum's dog has the same problem, although probably not as severe as the original posters. Most of the time she is okay at the dog park but every now and again she will have a go at another dog.

I have read the above information, BUT has anyone on the forum had experience with this and can offer direct suggestions or tips on ways to deal with this behaviour? Any help would be appreciated that I could pass on to mum.

I have also suggested that she gets a muzzle for her dog for the meantime, and join her local dog training club.

Deejay, please remember that bad experiences can ruin a dog for life. If you think it's unfair that she doesn't get off leash time, how unfair do you think it is to the innocent dogs that get attacked/scared in the process????? It doesn't have to be an attack that results in injury, all it has to do is give the other dog a fright and their temperament can be changed forever. One of my dogs is a performance dog (obedience and agility) and after each bad experience I really have to work to keep her confidence up. Our years of training could be completely ruined by one dog "taking a dislike" to her.

Not to mention it scares the absolute bajeezus out of me. I get very, very, very upset and angry when people let their aggressive dogs near her. It is simply not fair.

My other dog is not 100% reliable off lead so he simply doesn't get walked off lead unless in a very safe or fenced area. That being said his off leash time is pretty much limited to fenced dog parks (generally when they are empty) or the grounds at dog club. He only gets to be off leash maybe once a week or fortnight. Sure it's annoying, but we deal with it because we try to be responsible owners.

Oh yeah this reminds me of something that happened to me about 8 years ago at dog obedience classes. Different dog. She was an excellent dog, very well behaved, we were up in the higher class...class 4 or 5 from memory. We were all doing a drop stay, where you walk away quite a distance from your dogs and they have to stay for like 5 minutes. All was going well when a Belguim Shepard broke the drop stay, went over to my dog, passing 2 other dogs, and attacked her. It suprised the hell outta her and she yelped blue murder. All hell broke loose and our other dog who was training with my daughter in a lower class on the other side of the oval broke free to come and save her sister. The bloke who owned the Belguim Shepard felt horrible, he kept apologizing to me, he was almost in tears, he said his dog had never done that before...and it probably hadn't. Luckily my dog was mostly unhurt but for the loss of a bit of hair and a hell of a lot of confidence. After that she would never do a drop stay at obedience, she was always on edge.

Oh dear, I never should have written the words "same" it definately is not the same. I shall go and edit my original post for you. Better still, i'll just delete it all together, this is just a complete waste of time!

For city dogs that dont have yards big enough for them to chase a ball etc, I dont think its fair they shouldnt ever get to know the freedom of being about to have a big run around. I feel that by saying "dont use dog parks" and only walking on a lead, seems to be just avoiding the problem. Thats not training, thats avoidance!

Actually it's called management.

Deejay - whether it's the same problem or not is irrelevant. According to you the dog randomly has a go at other dogs.

Quite likely it's not for the same reason as the OP's dog but I really don't think someone who's dog is the target of a dog "having a go" actually cares, and I think you might find the council and/or court wouldn't care either if one day this dog "has a go" at another dog which is seriously injured. Serious injury in a dog fight can happen with surprising speed and without the attacking dog being really nasty either - a canine tooth in an eye socket is usually quick and messy and permanent.

Why all the defensive back peddling?

Edited by Sandra777

I think its irresponsible and wrong to judge someone like that before you've even met someone or their dog. As I said above this is a different case to the original post, the dog has never EVER been agressive in the time I have known her, my dogs play with her all the time and she is a lovely dog. I really really really really really realise now I shouldnt have posted it here. I just figured they would have a similar training technique or suggestions.

I'm not judgeing anyone !!! I am talking in general !!! IMO If a dog owner is aware they have an aggressive dog off leash towards other dogs or members of the public, don't unleash it until you have addressed & rectified the

problem. If unable to themself, get professional help. Why put innocent dogs/people at risk. It is just common sense to me. I witnessed an horrific scene at our leash-free where a 'dog' aggressive dog was let off it's leash

it made a b line for a 16 week old beautiful Mal leashed pup ( first day out by the way) & proceeded to rip the poor pup almost in half :cry: My OH jumped in & pulled the aggressive dog off the pup. The owner's then informed

us it had attacked another dogs before. :mad:mad I rest my case. For the record $2OOO Vet bill but Mal cutie survived. Owners called to thank OH. Aggressive dog owner is being pursued through the court system.

Edited by BC Crazy

Ok Deejay this is not a laughing matter. Several people here have picked up om the same thing. Dog aggressive dogs have no place in public unleashed. I am sorry if it gets your nose out of place BUT. I have several dogs they are well trained, we spend A LOT of time on them, they compete regularly, they are NEVER off leash in public. Why? I don't trust other dogs and with respect your attitude is exactly why. I have seen it happen and in the dim past I investigated stuff like this for a living. A lot of good dogs have needed a lot of fixing through bad experiences in dog parks that was no fault of theirs or their owner and a lot of owners suffered badly because of what their dog did. In the extreme (yes this is the extreme) I know of at least one park that was closed due to it having Too many issues. In that case the community and dogs in general lost out due to a few irresponsible dog owners. Get help yes but until then keep them home and safe and let others enjoy their right to be safe in the park!!

For city dogs that dont have yards big enough for them to chase a ball etc, I dont think its fair they shouldnt ever get to know the freedom of being about to have a big run around. I feel that by saying "dont use dog parks" and only walking on a lead, seems to be just avoiding the problem. Thats not training, thats avoidance!

Actually it's called management.

:thumbsup:

Its total bullshit that a city dog needs to be offlead. :mad

My previous dog was DA and NEVER let offlead after she developed the aggression. We live in terrace house in the inner city and she was kept in a tiny courtyard when we weren't walking or running her ONlead. We committed to at least an hour fast walk or run each day on the streets, gave her kongs, bones, obedience/tricks training etc. That is management.

It is extremely irresponsible to put the lives of other dogs at risk purely to satisfy the human desire to "let the dog run free". It is avoidance to not see that. :mad

I am currently dealing with Council over a moron who, like you, thinks letting his territorial/aggressive dog roam offlead is more important than the safety of me and my dog. After 2 attacks we have suffered, I am incensed that he has this attitude & feel this dog is a ticking time bomb.

WTF is wrong with you people who think your dogs' freedom is more important than the lives of others??!!! :mad

Edited by dee lee

i've seen and heard so many stories about people having their dogs off lead in their front yards or on their street etc. and then their dog would lunge at another person's dog that's just trying to peacefully walk their dog down the bloody street without any hassle! no offence but if some dickhead's dog did something like that to me or my dog, i'd absolutely kick the shit out of it and i know it's not the dog's fault but what else are you meant to do in that situation? maybe it'll make the owners realise what they did wrong! what the hell's wrong with people these days? so stupid and irresponsible, no wonder dogs get a bad name and it's all because of silly owners. now, as everyone's said letting a "knowingly" aggressive dog off leash is the stupidest thing somebody could do! where's your common sense? leave the dog at home and get professional help or you'll just ruin it for everybody else and give another dog a bad name, like we need more of that! i do adore people that take in rescue dogs it's sweet but do it right :D

My dog with issues gets off leash time - but not in public! I used to drive for 2 hours each weekend to take her to KCC - private park where only one family is allowed in the fully fenced space at a time.

Some dogs have issues that can't be cured by magic - they need life long, responsible management. It can be very tiring and stressful to own a DA dog, but that is no excuse to jeopardise other people and their dogs. Letting a DA dog off leash with other dogs in a public space is not training, it is negligent.

ETA: Deejay, my girl used to be good with other dogs until she had out of control dogs around her in public. Your mother needs to think of the impact of her actions on other members of the community. If a dog attacked either one of mine I would be devestated - it would break my heart. Owners like this give all dog owners a bad name and puts innocent dogs and people (who get hurt trying to save their dogs) at risk.

Edited by megan_

I got the impression Deejay wasn't talking about a dangerous dog that has injured others. Every dog has 'had a go' at another dog for whatever reason. Most of the time it's not a problem. Both dogs will get over it. It becomes a problem if it's a default behaviour, if injury is occurring, the frequency of the incidents is increasing, the intensity of the aggressive behaviour is increasing, or if the triggers are broadening or are difficult to predict. I have had other dogs 'have a go' at mine every now and then at dog parks and it doesn't upset me. For a lot of dogs, that's how they talk. Erik has 'had a go' at a few dogs as well, always because they have been knocking him around and then ignored his signals asking them to stop. He has never hurt another dog and his aggressive behaviour is entirely appropriate and properly inhibited. He's yelling at them, basically. Before jumping to conclusions and condemning Deejay's mother for apparently letting an aggressive dog attack other dogs, maybe we should establish just what this aggressive behaviour involves, how often it occurs, and what kinds of things trigger it.

ETA Even though Erik's aggressive behaviour is uncommon and appropriate, I don't let him practise it if I can avoid it. I'm pretty fast at rescuing him before it gets to the point of aggressive behaviour, and I heavily reward non-aggressive options. Erik has a great way to 'scream' "Please leave me alone" without resorting to aggression. It usually works, but if it doesn't, I will move mountains to get him a break before he snaps.

Edited by corvus

I have no problems if a dog gives a warning display/telling off (so long as no actually injury is caused)if another dog comes running up to it, whilt they are minding their own business or focussed on the owner or a game.

I would not correct my dog for doing that, nor would I stop taking her out or muzzle her.

I often see that people with puppies or out of control dogs get shocked when this happens and think the other dog is aggressive, when really its not, and they should be controlling their dog.

Of course if the dog starts fights, runs over to others to provoke, attack or intimidate them, doesn't recall etc that is unacceptable and the dog shouldn't be allowed off leash.

Not really sure what situation Deejay is describing, so can't really comment on whether its appropriate or not for her dog to be off leash.

Around Adelaide - there are quite a few public fully fenced and gated double tennis courts.

There is a set at the end of my street - and I used to practice training with my puppy there quite a bit - when they weren't in use by the local kids. You're there by yourself - room to chuck a ball, and no other dogs to attack.

For the dog that - seems like it was playing too rough - a better recall and lots of distraction training and Look at That Look at me, "LAT" training would probably help.

For the dog that actually attacks (and draws blood and takes all the fun out of a day at the dog park for everyone) - definitely needs to be assessed by a professional to see what can be done and I would be avoiding opportunities for the dog to practice and ingrain this behaviour. Ie if my dog was like that, I would only let her off lead in securely fenced places where there were no other dogs.