Stupid Ear Fold

Kiwipete

Our 4 month old Pug has developed a stupid fold in one of her ears so that it isn't sitting the same as her other ear....I am hoping that it only a temp thing as cosmetic surgery isn't out of the question... I am joking... hmmmm maybe sticky tape

Really bugs me but no one else in the family "it's just her the way she is", "makes her unique", "stop teasing her" ....

By the way we never bought her to show but she is almost perfect :) except for this stupid ear fold.....

IS IT FOREVER OR JUST A TEMP THING?????

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid Ear Photo - So her left ear folds at the back shortening it's length and width at the front.... This was a rushed photo and it was getting dark...

28102011106.jpg

This is a pic of how her ear looked last week..... Gracie is the one in the front.... The other one is a Cat...

13102011089.jpg

Hm. Not an expert, but looks like teething ears to me... and she looks * very * gorgeous :)

Were you going to check with your breeder about it? I would love to know what they say for general information...

(PS love your feline executive keeping an eye on things in the background...)

If you were concerned about it from a cosmetic point of view, then you could try taping the ear - perhaps have a talk to your breeder about how to tape ears that fold during teething.

I have a document that we give to puppy buyers that explains how we tape our puppies ears if you want to try that, but with our method it's really better if you can have someone show you how to tape the first time, because although the way we tape ears is really simple in practice, it sounds a bit confusing when just written down :o:laugh:

There are also various other ear taping methods around, maybe some other people will pop in here and share the methods they use :)

Thanks for the replies I have stopped looking at her as if she was some sort of freak and again as a beautiful little Pug as she is... :) Yeah I will talk to the breeder but really I think I am the one with the problem and not our little girl... :)

Taping Ears lol I use to do that years ago when playing Rugby as the Hooker in the Front row... :) Mind you it must work as I still have my good looks... :)

Bahaha! Thanks for the clarification that the one at the back is a cat! Would never have known ;)

Your little Pug is gorgeous. Ears do go all over the place when teething, Riley's (Shetland Sheepdog) were down then one up then down then other up then first one up then both up... I didn't bother taping as he's a pet, not for showing. They seem to have set both up pretty fast so if it does bother you I'd talk to people about taping now... If you can be bothered :)

The left ear is going to be a rose ear and there is a chance that the right ear will do the same. You need to pick if you want two rose ears or two button ears and tape and glue them accordingly.

You will need to tape and glue for some months, as you're either going to try and crease one ear or break the crease in the other.

The left ear is going to be a rose ear and there is a chance that the right ear will do the same. You need to pick if you want two rose ears or two button ears and tape and glue them accordingly.

You will need to tape and glue for some months, as you're either going to try and crease one ear or break the crease in the other.

Got an email back the breeder and she thought that it was teething also and that it is likely to be only a temp thing as there is none of it in her blood line... well I won't be taping her back as my family all think that she likes it like that and that she wants to be special... Hey I gotta go with that.... But I will post if it ever goes back to a button,,,,

I agree with Pav. My old Dobe (rip) had 2 rose ears. It was never an issue for me, he was from a byb so never going to be shown or bred from. It wasn't until I started obedience and flyball that I found out that I could have done something about it by a Rotty breeder. She explained taping and even massaging the ear a certain way can help if you catch it early enough.

I tried taping one of my border collie's ears because I prefer them to be semi-erect & she had one good ear & the other stood erect. I wasn't really religious about it or shown how to do it. I just used double sided tape which either didn't stick properly because of all the hair or if it did my sons would take it off. Three & a half years on she will sometimes have it slightly bent over but it doesn't quite match the other ear & that's ok, because at least it does lean forward a little most of the time.

Glad to hear you are happy to leave it alone, as I've seen some sorry looking pups that have had their ears taped & from what I've heard it doesn't always work. She's very cute as she is & in a little while you'll probably be back with pics of her ears back the way they were :thumbsup: .

You can also just try massaging the ear down, and massage along the crease. My boxer pups ears were going funny with teething, so I kept massaging, and every time i saw his ear go funny I've massage it and fold it along the crease, and now his ears have started to settle.

1st pic Bookers Wonky ear, 2nd pic how they have settled.

post-4216-0-89703000-1320033199_thumb.jpg

post-4216-0-15619000-1320033233_thumb.jpg

I wish I could turn back time for Hamish - he has always had small, thick ears but when he left home ~ 4 1/2 months old they were sitting correctly. Unfortunately his then owner refused to tape his ears while he was teething, he was massaging them BUT he was doing it wrong and this is what he looks like now :cry: By the time he came back home at 15 mths old it was too late...

Hamish at 2yrs/10 mths old.

300978_270923479587360_100000091313049_1190282_8109168_n.jpg

Correctly set ears makes a hell of a difference.

(Tweaked for this pic - taken at 15 months when he came back home)

310595_303524369660604_100000091313049_1324694_698884215_n.jpg

In future I will tape and massage ears until the cows come home if necessary.

Edited by Andisa

Ok I wasn't going to do it but you have made me feel like if I don't do something I could regret it... So went to Bunnings and got some double sided tape... I stopped at the permanent Outside tape and just got the normal inside tape.... hmmmmm ????

Then I thought I had better find out how to do this as I was just going to put a small square of Double sided tape in the inside of the ear so it didn't fold back...

Pug Taping This is a bit more than what I thought would be needed

Did it :)

She is nearly asleep here that is how I got the pic, otherwise the photo's are blurry as she bounces and bounds, bounces and bounds, bounces and bounds, bounces and bounds anyway it doesn't bother her she hasn't scratched at it or nothing, she slept fine lastnight so hardly a cruel thing to do... Just Damn VAIN :)

Gracie%2Bwith%2BEar%2BTaped.JPG