Finding A Breeder With Pups

DAVERI

hi, Ive been looking for a few months now for a pup but want to buy from a registered breeder. but i haven't been having much luck finding a breeder with pups available or getting a reply. i use a hotmail account and my home and mobile numbers are both blocked. some of the ads i have seen on a breeders site state that hotmail accounts will not be replied too and blocked numbers will not be answered. i've also tried the a state club but still didn't have any luck. out of about 20 breeders within 100km from me ive had two reply and had just missed out on pups. has anyone go any ideas as to how i can find breeders with pups either available or litters due. im willing to go on a waiting list of sorts for the right dog. i've started to think about buying out of state now but that worries me as i can't see the pup or parents before buying and have no idea how much extra transport would be. any ideas would be great.

Have you tried using the Dogzonline puppy ads? I've found that calling is the best way (rather than email). I haven't seen any ads before where it says that blocked numbers will not be answered (but I'm fairly sure it's super easy to unblock your number on your mobile, make the call, and then re-block) - have you tried calling anyone yet?

I found the breeder of my Sheltie pup by going along to a couple of dog shows to try to talk to breeders in person. To be honest most people didn't seem open to chatting but the breeders I got Riley from were more than happy to chat to me :) I started off by asking to say hello to their dogs (they had 4 there in pens and they were super friendly and happy to have pats, then I told them I was looking at getting a Sheltie and we went from there, talking about the breed and whether one would fit into my household. Then I asked them if they had litters planned soon, they said yes, gave me their details and we mainly emailed from then.

I think face to face is a good way to introduce yourself to breeders, if they're willing to chat and you don't approach them when they're in the middle of something at a show! It was great for me too because I got to meet some of their dogs up front and see that they had temperaments I liked.

Edited by Saxonpup

You could open a new email account with another email provider!

Go to shows to meet breeders

Call them, give them your phone number(s) and see how that goes.

What breed are you looking for? Maybe people here can help find a breeder for you.

You could also see if you can find a breeder via facebook! This is what I am doing at the moment, this way the breeder I am talking to can also see more about me and feel confident i am the right type of owner for one of their pups.

Not sure why breeders don't answer blocked numbers, that just seems silly. If they don't like who's calling, they can just hang up.

Dog shows aren't the friendliest places on earth, but if you're brave, it's somewhere to at least see the dogs in the flesh and maybe talk to a breeder. What breed are you looking for? I'd buy out of state, aside from my first Aussie, the rest came from interstate and it wasn't a problem at all. What state are you in?

Im looking for either a miniature Bull Terrier or a standard bull terrier. and im south of Brisbane.

female coloured or with colour.

i guess i would consider buying interstate but it just makes me a little worried. i would rather be able to see the pup first before i buy it.

i am willing to wait for a litter.

i have tried messaging breeders on facebook and not one reply. i have been using dogzonline puppy ads and breeder ads. but of all the breeders i sent an email to i go one reply that said they did have pups and to forward my phone number but didn't hear back from them until i sent another email saying i was still interested in finding a pup and again sent my number but they never called me back. a second breeder i called and left my number once a week for 3 weeks never called back but did end up returning my email in the end but had just sold all there pups.

in my emails i state how i am, where im from, what im looking for and the type of home we have. and that if they currently don't have any pups if they could let me know if they plan on having a litter or if they could point me to someone that may.

please don't get me wrong im not just looking to buy the first pup available. i have been checking the names of dogs on ads with the data base for PLL etc. and what ever show results i can find.

thanks

Hi Daveri, there are some good bully breeders on here.

I had a similar problem when looking for a new bully girl, breeders didn't reply, with the help of dolers who recommended me to a breeder i now have a great girl who came from interstate. :D

Go in to the bully thread, but "Perianth" breeds mini's and standards i think, and 'Chopperlodge" is in QLD.

I would try pming them to ask for advice, bully breeders are VERY particular about where their pups go.

The number of minis bred averages around 300 a year , bullies around 900.Minis are scarce and given we are still trying to go forward now we have a DNA marker for PLL more puppies are being run on by breeders or going into breeders homes rather than being available for pet owners.

If you are restricting yourself to QLD only you will need to get your name in very early.As always I suggest ringing breeders rather than emailing and keep in touch with your chosen breeder until they have a litter.You may have to travel to look at parents in other states if you are not prepared to wait for a pup in QLD.

Ideally mini puppies should come with there own PLL certificate or you should at least be able to view the parents certificates.The AHT does not recognise 'clear by parentage' unless parentage has been established We are still struggling with oversize minis while we get PLL out of the genepool so if you are looking for a mini 14" or smaller you will reduce your puppy choice further.There are always more bully pups available than minis.

Looking at show results for all breed shows may not necessarily give you indication of quality.Minis and Bullies are not shown at all breed shows in large numbers.Best to check out speciality show results as well.

Try to get yourself to the speciality shows in QLD to introduce yourself and have a look at what is being shown. You may have 50 up to 120 animals to look at.It may also give more confidence to buy a pup out of state if you can see what animals they are producing.

Don't forget to be aware of genetic diseases that affect both minis and bullies. A puppy that is 'health checked clear' is different from a puppy whose parents have been tested and cleared.

Just so you are aware a mini is correctly a 'Bull Terrier Miniature' and "bull terrier" is just that no such thing as a standard BT. There is the odd pedantic person that will pull you up on that.Calling them bullies & minis seems acceptable to all :)

Good luck.

EDIT for clarity

Edited by periannath

thanks for the info.

Ive owned bullies before just haven't got a pup in years. i had to have my mini put down 2 years ago after her primary lens detached in both eyes. i was toltally heart broken. and couldn't think of getting a new dog till now. i was into breeding horses but over the last few years with EI and hendra i have choosen to stop breeding horses and move to a smaller property. im home alot and my partner said i needed to find a new hobby now all the horses are gone. my partner has a workshop at home and we have talked about getting a dog to warn if anyone is about. we also have his parents dog spend time here when they go away so thats made me relise how much ive missed having a dog around. I don't see the point in spending $650-$1000 for some sort of cross bred poodle thing etc they give a new name to, when for not much more i can have a dog i like and be able to view its breeding, parents health and temp and maybe even start a new hobby with shows and meet some new people. so i guess i was hoping that i would find someone close by that would help me if i should choose to show. I just don't remember it being so hard to find anyone back when i got my girl. but its been a few years now.

but im am willing to wait.

Sorry to hear your mini luxated.I have a mini here that has the lens removed from both eyes.If you could PM the breeding of your girl I would appreciate it for our research.Unfortunately some people are still a but weird about having bred a affected mini so I don't want to upset anyone.As you probably know there is a small % of DNA carriers that luxate and we are still trying to find out why this is so any information on families is appreciated.

Finding a show quality mini is very difficult with the size issues plus the bite difficulties and we hang on to those rare birds!I It's probably much easier to find a bully of show quality.If a bully pup interests you PM me.I know of a litter in QLD that should have very promising babies and they are only 2 or 3 weeks old so perhaps are not all spoken for.

Hi Daveri.

Sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble finding a breeder.

I find that phoning breeders have better results than emailing them, but still isn't fool proof.

I don't think there is any problem looking for interstate breeders. If they may have something available for you, then you could always plan a trip if you desperately wanted to see parents. You never know, they may be using a QLD stud, so you might be able to visit half of the parents, anyway. It's only something for you to try and, if you're not comfortable, you can just stick to QLD. But it's worth a go, surely. :)

Hi Daveri I feel for you some breeders can be right pains to deal with.

I do not believe you should change your email lots of people have hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc.

Also you have every right to have a blocked number. Its only a problem if the receiver does not allow you to leave a voice mail message.

There was a fantastic tread her a few moths ago about a person looking for a pup and the to an froing. But I think it got nuked because a couple of people got personal.

Hi Daveri I feel for you some breeders can be right pains to deal with.

I do not believe you should change your email lots of people have hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc.

Also you have every right to have a blocked number. Its only a problem if the receiver does not allow you to leave a voice mail message.

There was a fantastic tread her a few moths ago about a person looking for a pup and the to an froing. But I think it got nuked because a couple of people got personal.

WHAT!!!???? That doesn't sound like DOL at all :rofl: :rofl: