Gussy Is Here

OMG........ I was just filmed on Bondi Rescue (on a phone call with one of the lifeguards).. He wants to adopt Gussy... He has been emailing me and called today to discuss him and then they had to ask me if I gave my permission for it to be included in the show because he is really looking for a dog and fell in love with Gusta guts on the ACT Rescue and Foster website... Excited much!!!

I am blown away - Gussy might end up being famous and on TV if this one works out for him.

He is coming down from Sydney tomorrow to meet Gus.

Gus also has a meeting with a Queanbeyan family in the morning...

Lots to do tomorrow...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gussy had his first meeting with a family that live just around the corner from me (we can still have play dates)...

They have totally fallen in love with him, which I knew they would.

He was on his very best behaviour, he came every time he was called back, sat up really straight for treats when he sat and was an absolute joy to show off...

They have a really great yard and older kids to play with him.

He would be an only dog, but I am confident he will be fine on his own as he will get walks every day and play time every afternoon as well. He will be allowed inside to, which was very important to me (and Gus)...

We just had a call back from the family and they would like the adoption papers to complete for him, so I will drop them off later today so they can complete them.

We are still waiting to hear back from the Bondi lifeguard that was so keen on Gus yesterday to make a time to meet him - he is travelling down from Sydney today or tomorrow.

Then I guess if he likes Gus, he can complete an adoption form and the best home will be selected for Gus out of the two...

I am so conflicted at the moment - on the one hand I am so happy that Gussy might have a forever home but on the other, he was the medicine that kept me busy and helped me so much when we lost my husband and then Ollie dog 3 weeks later..

It will be sad and joyful to see him to a forever home.

I am leaning towards the local family - only because I will get to see him.. If he goes to Sydney, I will probably never see him again...

Its hard isn't it when they go, but i always say, if they can go somewhere where they get a better life than with me, you have to let them go. :(

Don't base your decision on wether you will get to see him, it might be worse seeing him, and for him too.

Take into account though he will have company more at a busy home, where will he be while the lifeguard works? alone at home alot, does he go out alot at night too? he may take him everywhere, but may also be left alot? all things to ask him.

I totally understand how you'd feel, as Gus has lit up your life at a special time. And it would be so tempting to make a choice based on the extent to which he would stay near your life.

But juice's advice is spot on.

Go thro' the checklist of aspects that would determine quality life for Gus. If that should come out in favour of the nearby family....then having him nearby is a lucky perk, on top of his being in a happy home.

If it should come out in favour of the lifesaver....then the knowledge that he might become a little bit famous, is a lucky perk on top of his being happy with a new human pal.

Its hard isn't it when they go, but i always say, if they can go somewhere where they get a better life than with me, you have to let them go. :(

Don't base your decision on wether you will get to see him, it might be worse seeing him, and for him too.

Take into account though he will have company more at a busy home, where will he be while the lifeguard works? alone at home alot, does he go out alot at night too? he may take him everywhere, but may also be left alot? all things to ask him.

He will be at home while he is at work, so I am thinking it might not be the best option - a Kelpie cross alone most days while their only human is at work...

But you're also right about him seeing me and me seeing him if he lives around the corner - oh why do we get so attached to them???

The local family have contacted me back with their completed adoption forms, which I have to give to ARF.. So I think this will be his forever home - they are really lovely and there will nearly always be someone at home (he won't be on his own for long periods). Mum works part time, so does the older boy and the daughter (who was totally smitten with him) is 14...

It is a great home, with nice people and a good yard - he will be loved, walked, played with and trained... I can't ask much more.

OH YAY, I'm soo happy to hear that he has possible found his forever home. Its soo nice to hear when things go right for these dogs. He is a special boy and you will always remember me but you took him on and showed him what it was like to be loved and part of a family. He has come such a long way and hey if he does go to the local family you may still see him. At the end of the day I know you will do what's best for him. :thumbsup:

My little guy is off to his forever home tomorrow at 11am

He is moving in with a family with older kiss, a big backyard and just around the corner from me and a big park

It is very conflicting, he is my first foster baby and as much as he could easily have been a foster failure, I know the new home is the best option for him.

I am gonna miss him so much and so will our staffy baby

I am so happy for him but I am so sad for me and Ziggy... Ziggy is going to miss him so much.

I am really hoping that in time we can have a play date and or go walking together.

I am planning on having our usual Sunday morning lay in (in my bed) tomorrow so I can get my last snuggle with him before taking him down.

OK here we go...

I have packed his bed, toys, some food, paperwork and his soft crate (it is his safe place, so he can take it with him).

Lord, I have something in my eye here - how do you all do it???

I will be back blubbering like a baby with an update on how he settles in..

OK here we go...

I have packed his bed, toys, some food, paperwork and his soft crate (it is his safe place, so he can take it with him).

Lord, I have something in my eye here - how do you all do it???

I will be back blubbering like a baby with an update on how he settles in..

Awww Staffyluv. :hug: it's never easy saying goodbye. Three years on and I still cry when they leave.

You've done a fantastic job with Gussy though. :thumbsup: Thanks to you he has his whole future to look forward to now. :) :thanks:

Thanks all, I was really upset giving him away. It just felt wrong, even though I know it is the right thing for him...

Our little staffy cross has been looking for him all afternoon. We have been on an extra walk, done some extra training and played heaps out the back. I am playing tug with him on the lounge in between typing this.

I am not sure I am cut out to be a foster carer, as much as I want to be. I just get to attached.

I will wait the 3 weeks to make sure Gussy is safe and in his forever home and then reassess it...

I just need to toughen up a bit :o

Some are harder to let go than others, i have had a couple i could easily have kept, my kids still hassle me about a lovely red amstaff pup we let go :laugh:

Others drove me nuts, and i was glad when they found their spot. ;)