Comfortis Effectiveness

sallyandtex

Hi,

No response health forum, I try here :laugh:

Anyone using comfortis had any problems with length of effectiveness, noticed a flea yesterday only after 2 weeks.

This was a new batch from Pricelss Pets.

Last 6 months no problem.

I have not heard of any problems with its effectiveness.

Comfortis only works after the flea has bitten, so it is possible that you still have an infestation in the environment that is not completely controlled but they are not able to infest your dog. Perhaps look at treating the environment and see if that resolves the problem.

Ive just started using it. they had their second dose a couple pof days ago. M papillon ahs a flea allergy, so was scratching like mad. After I gave comfortis, it killed the fleas but he continued to scratch like crazy. I did find a couple more fleas on him but they were dead, so I figured they were in the environmet and still jumping on him and biting hence him still scratching but then dying. After about the 3-4 week mark he stopped scratching and was fine BUT as soon as I gave him another dose of comfortis (I hadnt notcied fleas, just wanted to keep on with the preventative) he strated scratching like crazy again but no fleas :confused::confused: All the other dogs, and I have 6 all up, are fine, no issues, but it seems to be making my boy scratch, even though it says it treats flea allergy dermatitis too. So I dont know

Edited by Kaffy Magee

With the weather warming up, if your dogs go to the park, you have cats (particularly untreated cats) or neighbours cats move through your property I don't think it unreasonable that you will see a few fleas from time to time.

If you are continuously using a product over the Summer that is the main thing- as Jumabaar says the fleas will die if they jump on and ingest the poison.

VERY effective but I am still suspicious of it so the kids dont use it unless its middle of summer.

Otherwise I capstar them!

But I do find that comfortis lasts longer than a month!

Edited by Bubitty

My dog and I had to stay a couple of nights with some friends who had a shocking flea infestation (I didn't know about this when we moved in). My dog had never had a flea before in his life, and within 2 days he had so many he was bleeding. I still remember coming home from uni and finding him and being so upset that all our local vets were already closed that I looked up alternative therapies online and went around the neighbourhood collecting lavender (which by the way does kind of work, where the lavender was the fleas avoided).

First thing the next morning I bought him some comfortis and the fleas were dead within hours. He had one dose, no side-effects and has never had fleas since.

I would give it 5/5.

When I first started using it (the moment it came out - we had a terrible infestation by fleas resistant to every other flea treatment available) I found the fleas would start turning up in low numbers about a week before they were due for another one. I dosed them on time every month and in 3 months our horrifying infestation of super-fleas was decimated and all our flea problems over. We now take them off Comfortis over the cold season and they are not even on it right now, although I'm planning to start them again given I saw a flea on Kivi the other day. Anyway, IME it is extremely effective. Our flea problem was truly very bad. Even flea bombs only knocked them down for a week.

I think it takes six months to take effect so during your break it may have lost its effectiveness and needs to build up again.

Should start working immediately.

I've washed dogs that are plagued with them and within the first treatment you see a huge difference if the instructions are followed correctly.

While we're on the subject, this year like last will be horrid for the little buggars. We've had perfect conditions for them here on the NSW Central Coast. So looks like I'll have a busy summer, only wish dog owners would act when they ask for flea treatment advice.

Did you feed it with a meal? If it is not given with food it may well only be lasting you 2 weeks, comfortis on an empty stomach is proven to have a much decreased efficacy.

We do.

Also our cats are flea treated, we have no strange dogs/cats at our place. The dogs don't go anywhere.