What Is The Right Way To Enter.....

Shazzapug

As the title suggests...what is the right way to enter a dog that is in someone elses name but it lives with you. I copped a mouth full from a show sec recently so I need to know this as the puppy is staying here to be shown. :D The next show I entered her in I have sent her entry in a complete seperate envelope with a SAE.

I'm pretty sure you just need to send off an authority to sign form, meaning you can enter on the owners behalf.

I have a dog that is co-owned and I had to get the breeder to sign the authority form and post it to confirm I am allowed to enter shows with just my signature alone and not hers as well.

They are usually available to print out from your states KC website.

Alternatively the breeder can fill out a stack of entry forms with her signature on them but the authority to sign is much easier!

I'm pretty sure you just need to send off an authority to sign form, meaning you can enter on the owners behalf.

I have a dog that is co-owned and I had to get the breeder to sign the authority form and post it to confirm I am allowed to enter shows with just my signature alone and not hers as well.

They are usually available to print out from your states KC website.

Alternatively the breeder can fill out a stack of entry forms with her signature on them but the authority to sign is much easier!

Thankyou Shaar.. :thumbsup:

It is very rare for us to only show dogs that are in our name. What we do is put all names on the envelope.

for example showing 3 dogs

1 owned by J Bloggs

1 owned by J Doe

1 owned by Mr Smith

3 entry forms, 1 cheque account holder Mr Smith

envelope would have all three names on it.

We have occasionally had secretaries complain and state they want a SASE for each exhibitor but on the most part they are happy with the above.

To keep them very happy and make it easier write the exhibitor name and or dogs reg name on the back of the cheque, as the contents of the envelope you send in do get split up through the process.

It is very rare for us to only show dogs that are in our name. What we do is put all names on the envelope.

for example showing 3 dogs

1 owned by J Bloggs

1 owned by J Doe

1 owned by Mr Smith

3 entry forms, 1 cheque account holder Mr Smith

envelope would have all three names on it.

We have occasionally had secretaries complain and state they want a SASE for each exhibitor but on the most part they are happy with the above.

To keep them very happy and make it easier write the exhibitor name and or dogs reg name on the back of the cheque, as the contents of the envelope you send in do get split up through the process.

Thanks JR but the issue the show sec had with my first entry is the fact that there was more than one exhibitor in the same envelope!! I know some show secs are grumpier than others but doing what you said I would still cop a mouth full.

Well I just fill out the entry form as per the paperwork and sign "per *my name*".

I only ever put my name on the SAE.

I enter a dog for someone else almost every show. Never had a problem and never had anyone suggest I need a separate envelope for the "other" entry!

As a cataloguer I would not expect a separate one either.

if you are in Victoria the show schedules state;

"in the case of multiple exhibitors, one envelope per exhibitor"

so .. yes, some show secretaries might get a bit grumpy and stick to the rules, most

however can cope if you put all the names on the return envelope - I did this for

years and there was never a complaint.

I have never had an issue with it. I sign but all details are the owner of the dog. I also write on cheque who it is for. Our royal was the only issue as we were seated seperately but his owner wasn't there but it was rectified immidiately :)

I have just done this for the last 10 months... I put the owners name on the entry form, signed with my signature and wrote 'for' in front of their name.

When entering theirs and mine I put both of our names on the front of the SSAE and wrote the reg names of both dogs on the back of the SSAE.

I have just done this for the last 10 months... I put the owners name on the entry form, signed with my signature and wrote 'for' in front of their name.

When entering theirs and mine I put both of our names on the front of the SSAE and wrote the reg names of both dogs on the back of the SSAE.

Ok..so if I put both names on the SAE, and sign "for" the other owner...and make a list of the sec's that want seperate SAE. Thanks all. :thumbsup:

Ok..so if I put both names on the SAE, and sign "for" the other owner...and make a list of the sec's that want seperate SAE. Thanks all. :thumbsup:

The separate envelopes bit is printed on all Vice schedules. Both names would be very helpful.

I did this the first few times I entered dogs in other names, and got one envelope sent back with the extras inside it!

Would be great if there was a 'rule' book for these and other such tricky issues. Seems like there are some things which are expected to be common knowledge, and its not nice being in trouble when you just simply didn't know.

I did this the first few times I entered dogs in other names, and got one envelope sent back with the extras inside it!

Would be great if there was a 'rule' book for these and other such tricky issues. Seems like there are some things which are expected to be common knowledge, and its not nice being in trouble when you just simply didn't know.

Exactly ish...in this instance it isnt 2 exhibitors, it is 1 exhibitor also showing a dog not in their name! A rule book would be good...or a "protocol" thingy.

I would imagine the exhibitor is the person showing the dog, not the person who owns the dog, so one envelope per exhibitor should cover all the dogs that one person is showing even if there are 10 dogs owned by 10 different people but shown by one.

In another thread I suggested stapling everything together before putting it in the envelope so the person opening the envelope know they all belong together, but apparently staples aren't desirable either. Where is that written? I checked the latest gazette and there's nothing in there about not using staples when sending off entries. To my mind, if they are opening the envelope then promptly getting stuff mixed up with other peoples, it stands to reason that having your own things clipped together with a staple means they can't get mixed up.

Addressing the envelope to the owner of the dog then putting your address on it wouldn't work either, especially with rural postal services like ours....the mail is sorted by name and we collect it from the general store. It's not delivered by a postie, and if someone else's name was on it, I'd never receive it. In fact, the most recent one where the show secretary crossed out my name then wrote my last name and the co-owners last name on the envelope (which was originally addressed to me only) meant that I only got the mail the day before the show because it had sat there for days with no one knowing who it belonged to.

I would imagine the exhibitor is the person showing the dog, not the person who owns the dog, so one envelope per exhibitor should cover all the dogs that one person is showing even if there are 10 dogs owned by 10 different people but shown by one.

In another thread I suggested stapling everything together before putting it in the envelope so the person opening the envelope know they all belong together, but apparently staples aren't desirable either. Where is that written? I checked the latest gazette and there's nothing in there about not using staples when sending off entries. To my mind, if they are opening the envelope then promptly getting stuff mixed up with other peoples, it stands to reason that having your own things clipped together with a staple means they can't get mixed up.

Addressing the envelope to the owner of the dog then putting your address on it wouldn't work either, especially with rural postal services like ours....the mail is sorted by name and we collect it from the general store. It's not delivered by a postie, and if someone else's name was on it, I'd never receive it. In fact, the most recent one where the show secretary crossed out my name then wrote my last name and the co-owners last name on the envelope (which was originally addressed to me only) meant that I only got the mail the day before the show because it had sat there for days with no one knowing who it belonged to.

I also agree with what you have said...the one I got back had our 2 names with a / between them...but that are the 2 owners of the dogs not the exhibitor being 1, me.

Even though I had signed her entry as "per" blah blah.

So if there arent stead fast rules how can one sec say what you are doing is wrong?

Off topic, but re the bit I've bolded above, if it still had your surname on it, I would of thought whoever sorts your mail would put it in with your other mail. Makes sense to me.

Yes, that makes sense to me too. But I think maybe we don't understand the rural mail system. The people at the general store know that it's only my husband and me, so a letter addressed to our last name and someone else, couldn't possibly be ours. To make matters worse, there is another family here with the same last name as us. So they need first names or at least initials to sort the mail correctly.

When I send a self addressed envelope in my show entry, it's addressed in such a way that I will get it if it's posted. If someone changes the way I've adressed it, I mght not get it, it could be left sitting there, it could be given to the other people who have our name.

Edited by GayleK

I can't quote as on the phone but in reply to gaylek's comment about stapling stuff together. I used to staple mine together until I actually was the one on the other side and after doing over 140 entries where almost half were stapled I absolutely detested and hated anybody that owned a stapler. I now never ever staplemy entries together I paper clip them.

To what was originally asked I have only ever sent 1 SSAE even though I have had dogs in multiple names.

I am only showing one dog who is not registered to me at the present and I usually put the owners name on the envelope and then address it c/- my details. So far have only had one query about cheque not being in the name of the owner (did have chq no noted on entry) otherwise no problems at all.