Have You Ever Opt For Your Second Choice Breed First?

Fleuri

My husband, myself and the children went to visit with a breeder to see their dogs and have a chat….OM!!! I almost want to get a pup from them because I loved everything about them more than the breed itself.  (I’m sold on them more than on the breed) don’t get me wrong I love the breed too I just love another breed more.

With the other breed I have in mind, I haven’t been able to find a breeder that I like yet.

Do I get this breed now and wait to find a great breeder of the other breed that I really wanted first? I just feel that I don’t want to let go of these people I haven’t come across anyone like them, so wanting to impart knowledge, so down to earth, not judgemental yet very responsible and straightforward about their breed’s good and bad points. This husband and wife team are very active in their breed club and very active in showing their dogs, they even invited us to refreshments.It felt like they really wanted to know us also. Such lovely, lovely people, their dogs were so beautiful too and the children loved the dogs as you can imagine and everyone got on so well.

Have you ever opted for your second choice breed first?

I have opted for my third choice of breed instead of my second first- LMAO try saying that 10 times fast!

My second choice in breeds is would just not fit into my current life style. So I went for the breed that I still loved but was the perfect match for right now. I couldn't be happier.

You need to look at what is happening in your life for the next 10+ years and decide if your dog will fit in and then make a decision. And if you are happy to wait for this pup to grow up so you can get your next dog, and if IT will be the right fit at that time.

I wasn't really interested in a Dally until I spoke to an interstate breeder recommended by a work colleague. I was considering Irish Setters, Golden Retrievers etc. I just clicked with the breeder and ended up waiting 2 years for a puppy :) I love lots of breeds and now have a working ESS as well - always loved English Springers as a kid so when considering getting a gundog it seemed the obvious choice! Still plenty of time for a working Irish one day :D

Whilst a good breeder is worth every cent you wont be living with that breeder for the next 12 years 24/7.

Many people have 2/3 breeds in mind & often go with whats available first BUT they are very committed to owning either of those so the decision comes down to who they have contacted,who has litters coming up & often how long they wish to wait for a pup.

I got my second choice of breed first. Only because there was a litter of Bull Terriers available when i started looking and i knew the breeder and they offered me a puppy.

18 months later i got my first breed of choice

I love both breeds and knew i was going to have one of each so in what order i got them didnt worry me at all :)

Thank you so much for your response. I have been reading your comments since I posted this and now that I’ve been thinking more about how suitable this breed is I’ve come to the very disappointing conclusion that we will have to go without this beautiful breed, as much as I have been utterly impressed and honoured to meet these wonderful people. I guess that’s where that little bit of doubt came from and me asking this question in the first place.

Kids are disappointed but I told them we can attend the breed social days so they can enjoy and still have contact with the dogs.

After speaking to the breeder this evening about our decision they suggested that if we call them beforehand to let them know we are coming to the social day, they can bring some extra dogs for the children to care for during the event. That’s so nice of them! I feel so blessed to have met such lovely and thoughtful people. Though still disappointed the children are now looking forward to the social day… and so am I.

Thank you again for your comments I really appreciate all that has been said. I am disappointed too :( but it's the best choice for the dog and our family.

On the bright side, at least it has confirmed your breed choice so you wont always be wondering. :)

Who knows what may happen down the track, you may want another puppy, and it may be your '2nd choice' puppy after all.

Keeping in touch with the breeder is a great idea, not only to be able to watch and learn more about this breed, if you do decide you ever want to get another puppy, you can always get one from these wonderful breeders.

I did. I met a great breeder of a "slightly down the list" breed and the dog has turned out perfect for us in every way. And now of course I'm a breed convert.

I ended up with an Australian Shepherd, initially I really wanted a Bearded Collie.

I think it can work if the breeds are similar.

Both my dogs haven't been the first choice of breed but have been perfect.

First dog was an aussie shepherd, I really wanted a border collie. The two breeds are similar in looks anyway and I think the aussie was a better choice in the end and was more suited to our lifestyle.

Then I wanted another aussie but ended up with a labrador. I've been told they have similar temperaments and my lab is easier to look after in terms of grooming etc. She's also been extremely good to train and has gotten me a lot more involved in the dog sport/training world.

I went with a breed I'd barely heard of after investigating the breeds I'd originally wanted. Firstly, it was hard to get breeders to reply to emails. Secondly, once one did and I found out how much the pups were, I wasn't prepared to pay that amount for a dog, and thirdly my husband said he didn't want a dog that looked like an alien.

So we discussed the whole thing and I did a big re-think and we ended up with a breed we wee both happy with. Now we have four of them.

I've got my top 2 breeds on a wishlist. I own the first one, Labs, my heart breed, but for my 3rd dog I keep tossing up between another Lab or my 2nd favourite breed, an Aussie Shepherd. More than likely it will be another Lab as I want to do retrieving (can't with an Aussie!) but ONE DAY I MUST own me an Aussie Shep or two :)

On the bright side, at least it has confirmed your breed choice so you wont always be wondering. :)

Who knows what may happen down the track, you may want another puppy, and it may be your '2nd choice' puppy after all.

Keeping in touch with the breeder is a great idea, not only to be able to watch and learn more about this breed, if you do decide you ever want to get another puppy, you can always get one from these wonderful breeders.

So true! thank you minimiss!! :)

What are these breeds, if you don't mind me asking?

If you are having trouble with your first breed, perhaps tell us what it is and someone can point you in the right direction?

Thank you so much! I understand but for now I would like to do the search myself.

**Sorry this was ment for those that asked to know the breeds I am looking at.

Edited by Fleuri

I went with a breed I'd barely heard of after investigating the breeds I'd originally wanted. Firstly, it was hard to get breeders to reply to emails. Secondly, once one did and I found out how much the pups were, I wasn't prepared to pay that amount for a dog, and thirdly my husband said he didn't want a dog that looked like an alien.

So we discussed the whole thing and I did a big re-think and we ended up with a breed we wee both happy with. Now we have four of them.

Hi Gayle,

I am very tempted to do a big re-think or maybe even go without a dog until I can get the one I want even if it takes a few years more. I will start looking into one other breed and see how it goes, thank you. :)

I got my second choice of breed second instead of another one of my first (another tounge twister? :laugh: ). There were lots of reasons why but the main one was I wanted a mentor and at the time I couldnt really find one in my first choice breed. My criteria for getting her was as much about what the breeder could offer as the breed. I loved my 'second choice' dog for all her thirteen years and through her, as a result of her wonderful breeder who became a friend, I learnt so much more than I likely would have if I had just stuck to my first choice. Getting my 'second choice' dog also helped me move forward with my first choice breed too through what I learnt and who I met by owning her and knowing her breeder. I will admit that I will likely never own one of my 'second choice' breed again as my first choice is just so much better suited to me, but I never ever regret owning her and I owe her a lot. I likely would have got one of that breed at some point any way as It was one of those breeds I always wanted to own!

No one but you will be able to tell you if getting your 'second choice' dog is the right decision in your circumstances. All I can tell you is for me, it was the right decision.

Edited by espinay2