gone

Register with who?

If you do not agree with the ANKC who do you register with? What if you're breeders of working dogs, keep your own records etc..

I certainly do not think that just because someone isn't registered withe ANKC makes them idiots, though as a blanket statement it probably isn't too far off.

There is a working breed register.

Just to say one is crossbreeding, outbreeding, line breeding unregistered xbreeds as working dogs is just little far out there for credibility.....don't you reckon?

To what gain?

There is already a recognised pure breed suitable for any ''work'' already.

Edited by stone

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Register with who?

If you do not agree with the ANKC who do you register with? What if you're breeders of working dogs, keep your own records etc..

I certainly do not think that just because someone isn't registered withe ANKC makes them idiots, though as a blanket statement it probably isn't too far off.

There is a working breed register.

Just to say one is crossbreeding, outbreeding, line breeding unregistered xbreeds as working dogs is just little far out there for credibility.....don't you reckon?

To what gain?

There is already a recognised pure breed suitable for any ''work'' already.

There is more than one working registry depending on the breed etc and crossing working dogs i.e. border collie x kelpie is not unknown when looking for certain traits in a working dog. This is very different to BYB DD to mke a profit from a litter.

Sorry Souff, that was meant to be for TheCoat, not you!

Am on my phone so it only adds to my literacy woes.

I get so sick of cross bred breeders blaming sick dogs, lack of ability and poor temperment on "show" or "pure" breeders and pure bred breeeders blaming overpopulation, dog attacks and Monday mornings on cross breeders.

Truth is both camps have the same type of people in them, one hide behind hybrid vigour the other behind the ANKC. The cream of the crop on either side have more in common with each other than they do with the poorest of

their counterparts in their chosen breed or cross.

OK :)

My two cents worth re all camps is that there will always be the ethical and the unethical in every camp. Policing ethics is a lot harder than many people realise and short of chucking the person out of an organisation, if they wont be educated and change their grubby ways, there is not a lot that can be done to change the people concerned. If they get chucked out, they will still just be out there doing the same things and bringing the dog world into disrepute so not much changes. Registries are not government authorities and do not have the power of a body like the RSPCA. Registries can register and give guidelines but policing? Not very effective at all.

The thread has taken a totally different direction and I think the new subject has been done to death in the past anyway.

Does anyone know how the little boy is?

Souff

I'm totally in the pure breed / pedigree camp, but agree with KatrinaM. There are backyarders I would fault for not doing genetic tests, etc., but who breed primarily because their dogs have been fantastic companions and they and some friends want a pup .

My comprehension must be off.

It does appear to me you are saying it's o.k. to breed mongrels if friends want a puppy?

Not an unusual scenario - friend wants a puppy - 8/10 in the litter- what then?

Multiply that a couple of hundred/thousand times :eek:

I know whose comprehension is out of whack.

But hey, Maybe it's because I'm a pure breed aficiando that considers the ANKC CoE I have agreed to abide by actually means something that has you tossed?

I'm just old fashioned you see, I believe a handshake is a deal, your word is your bond. Thou shall not breed mongrels. Thou shall not use unregistered dogs for breeding.

Silly stuff like that.

Yup! Your reading comprehension is poor.

You are extrapolating without justification. What "appears to you" is not what I said.

The ANKC CoE governs what a registered breeder does, not what they are allowed to think (or observe). Abiding by rules does not require that you treat them as God-given ('Thou shalt not' . . . where, other than in religiously inspired writing, mostly from one or two centuries ago, do you see use of thee and thou?).

I am entirely within the CoE. I breed pedigree purebred dogs and do required and some not-required health testing. I simply observe that some people breeding crossbreeds are using higher temperament standards than some people breeding pedigree dogs for show purposes.

The pedigree system records NO information about temperament, nor does the CoE forbid breeding from a dog with unsound temperament. My respect for the ANKC is lower because this is that case.

apologies for this getting to the margin of the topic and getting somewhat agro after being accused of advocating X-breeding. The main point here is that pedigree/purebred dog breeders are not in a position to play holier than thou on the issue of temperament. The strongest position the ANKC takes on temperament is weak:" A member shall positively enhance the reputation of dog breeders and owners by ensuring that dogs owned by the member are not a danger or nuisance to the community. (CoE). Some breeds have seen considerable propagation of bad temperament due to breeders putting temperament low on their list of priorities.

Edited by sandgrubber

Even with my low powers of comprehrension It is patently obvious you are still advocating & attempting to justify, indicrimatinate breeding from dogs of mixed/unknown ancestory. Mongrels.

''A friend might want a puppy'' is a lamentably weak argument especially from one claiming to be securely ensconced amongst the true believers. Pathetic springs to mind. ( I think I comprehend pathetic)

Trying to justify your obvious disregard of what is expected of registered breeders of registered pure breeds by attacking us poor less fortunates is typical of those found to be lacking of the ''stuff'' that sets us apart.

Thou shall honour thy pledge.

Thou shall not be hypocritical.

Thou shall do the job or get of the pot.

Even with my low powers of comprehrension It is patently obvious you are still advocating & attempting to justify, indicrimatinate breeding from dogs of mixed/unknown ancestory. Mongrels.

''A friend might want a puppy'' is a lamentably weak argument especially from one claiming to be securely ensconced amongst the true believers. Pathetic springs to mind. ( I think I comprehend pathetic)

Trying to justify your obvious disregard of what is expected of registered breeders of registered pure breeds by attacking us poor less fortunates is typical of those found to be lacking of the ''stuff'' that sets us apart.

Sometimes all that sets the 2 apart is a piece of paper, whether you agree or not.

Sandgrubber is right.

Sometimes all that sets the 2 apart is a piece of paper, whether you agree or not.

Sandgrubber is right.

:rofl:

And so says geo,

geo, outspoken advocate of the crossbreed, geo, who has no ''comprehension'' or respect for the ideals of the honesty, the responsibility, or the passion required/demanded for the ethical breeding of registered, recogniseable pure breeds. Honesty & ethics geo, they're the two biggies.

Ah geo, your endorsment does nothing to enhance SGs position.

Weakens it considerabley in fact.

Thank you geo.

You really are a pistol........ :thumbsup:

A water pistol

And so says geo,

geo, outspoken advocate of the crossbreed, geo, who has no ''comprehension'' or respect for the ideals of the honesty, the responsibility, or the passion required/demanded for the ethical breeding of registered, recogniseable pure breeds. Honesty & ethics geo, they're the two biggies.

Ah geo, your endorsment does nothing to enhance SGs position.

Weakens it considerabley in fact.

Thank you geo.

You really are a pistol........ :thumbsup:

A water pistol

WHere have i said i'm an advocate for cross breeds?

I'm just saying that pure bred breeders aren't all you're making them out to be. That is a fact. The same goes for BYBers, majority have no idea of all the things you mention, and cause many issues for dogs the world over.

As i said though a piece of paper is sometimes all you have to put all those ideals and trust in. Unless you've known every dog in the pedigree (which some good breeders do) how do you know what you're getting? even dogs out of the same litter will display different traits.

So newbie crawl back in your hole and take your pistol with you.

You are way out of your depth here geo. Way out.

I think it's propably the commitment to an ideal, coupled with the honest & ethical thingies required to succeed that has you struggling.

You just can't seem to get a handle on the concept.

But hey, Like everyone new to something they haven't experienced before, qualities so foreign to ones social & moral demographic, one would take quite some time adjusting, getting to really understand. "Comprehending".

Being critical of something you aren't part of & have not ever been part of & are unlikely to ever be a participant in, doesn't do much for the credibility geo. Not much at all.

Nil Actually.

I think it's propably the commitment to an ideal, coupled with the honest & ethical thingies required to succeed that has you struggling.

But hey, Like everyone new to something they haven't experienced before, qualities so foreign to ones social & moral demographic, one would take quite some time adjusting, getting to really understand. "Comprehending".

Being critical of something you aren't part of & have not ever been part of & are unlikely to ever be a participant in, doesn't do much for the credibility geo. Not much at all.

Nil Actually.

Hey, Stone, this thread is about antisocial dog behaviour, and you moved it on to a tangent by blaming the problem on cross breeding, which is somehow supposed to ruin temperament and produce out-of-control dogs.

Would you please explain what pedigree breeders do, and what ANKC standards require them to do, to ensure that dogs have stable temperament. Thanks.

I thought this thread was about a dog attacking some people? :confused:

If you want to go off topic with pants-on-head-retarded insults ( :wave: Geo) take it to PMs or start a new thread so the rest of us don't have to wade through the crap.

Back on the topic of the thread.. good to see the new laws are working out so well for Victoria. Who'd have thought a registration tag wouldn't stop a dog from biting, though..

Nil Actually.

Hey, Stone, this thread is about antisocial dog behaviour, and you moved it on to a tangent by blaming the problem on cross breeding, which is somehow supposed to ruin temperament and produce out-of-control dogs.

Would you please explain what pedigree breeders do, and what ANKC standards require them to do, to ensure that dogs have stable temperament. Thanks.

Not guilty.

As for the other?

Research & responsible, selective breeding & puppy placing.

While not 100% successful of course,(but what is?) Nature does have the knack of bowling a wrong un every now & again.

They at least give it their best shot & by & large the outcome is something every ethical, responsible breeder has every right to be very proud of, when you get right down to it.

If you were one you wouldn't have had to ask the question....sigh

Nil Actually.

Never been part of eh...? how do you know? please tell me.

I wouldn't be where I am today professionally if I didn't "comprehend" honesty, integrity and conduct myself ethically within my group of peers.

What i do "comprehend", is arguments based on point and looking at the whole picture not just an ideal blinded by ignorance.

You taking a swipe at me just because i called you "newbie" certainly shows a character flawed with an inflated opinion of ones self.

You may well be an ethical breeder and i congratulate you for that, but this doesn't confirm that everyone aspires to do things the way you do.

Wonder what turned it vicious.

I'd say no owner in sight anywhere roaming alot so instinct set in perhaps. some dogs i know mine do this, go crazy start hopping around getting over excited when they see kids jumping up and down and running making loud noises or screaming etc. gets a dog going sometimes - just saying. maybe thats what turned it who knows :shrug: . but the point im trying to make is, no supervision of the dog so anything goes for it really and it looks like its been roaming a long time sort of like it being like a wild wandering dog in the neighborhood. another dog suffering because of an irresponsible owner. my dog is a cross rescue and he would lick a person to death, he actually got out at the rescuers house before i got him and hung around the house greeted some people on the street, before the people who found him got in touch with the rescuer who was out at the time, so she could put him back in.

Edited by toy*dog

good to see the new laws are working out so well for Victoria. Who'd have thought a registration tag wouldn't stop a dog from biting, though..

Nice one! Those little green tags are like magical force fields, doncha know...

Are they green in Vic?

:D