Sunscreen For Dogs

Kajtek

My avatar boy loves the sun. He is mostly white, has less than generous head of hair and came to us with scarring on ears caused by fly bites.

He is an indoor dog but can go outside whenever he wants to. His recent sunning sessions resulted in a mild sunburn. I am very keen to find something I can spray/put on his head to prevent future skin problems (he is now wearing a very white zinc nose).

Can anyone recommend a good product?

My avatar boy loves the sun. He is mostly white, has less than generous head of hair and came to us with scarring on ears caused by fly bites.

He is an indoor dog but can go outside whenever he wants to. His recent sunning sessions resulted in a mild sunburn. I am very keen to find something I can spray/put on his head to prevent future skin problems (he is now wearing a very white zinc nose).

Can anyone recommend a good product?

My vet told me not to use zinc based sunscreens as the dogs lick them off and the zinc is not good for them. Apparently you can get non-zinc based ones that are made for dogs.

I also use Filtabac and would highly recommend it :)

Isn't Filtabac zinc based? I've used that on horses, but they don't lick it off.

Not sure. I've found that it's so thick that even if they give it a lick most of it tends to stay on. I only use it on the top of the nose and ears so they don't seem to eat much :o

Thank you Perfect Partners. I didn't know that. Will investigate a better option for my baby boy.

I didn't know either until I just recently adopted a rescue Border Collie who has pink skin on his nose.

Love the photo of your boy - he looks gorgeous. I love Bullies - the first dog we had when we were kids was a Bulldog.

I started a thread about this a while ago.My white greyhound girl is a chronic sunbaker.Vetbasics is a really thick sunscreen that does not come off.You can't even get it off when you bath them it's like glue.As Teebs said Filterbac is good plus it's an antibacterial cream.

Where do you get these products from online or directly from your vet I have a terrier that is a sunbaker. I am worried that he will get skin cancer can you put this on their bellies etc. This is where he tends to bake the most. Thanks in advance.

Where do you get these products from online or directly from your vet I have a terrier that is a sunbaker. I am worried that he will get skin cancer can you put this on their bellies etc. This is where he tends to bake the most. Thanks in advance.

Prada I got the Vetbasics from my local Petbarn.For me it was way too thick and she cried every time I put it on.Being a greyhound with thin skin and a big amount to cover it didn't suit us.May suit you.

Crashing this thread.

My white chihuahua is a sunbaker too. Cant convince him to stay inside, he just wants to be out there improving his tan. Last year I used one which was increadibly thick and was terrible! Wouldnt spread on and then when I tried washing it off my hands, it just spread everywhere. Is there a thinner, easier to spread dog sunscreen available or are they mostly all like the thick one?

Prada I got the Vetbasics from my local Petbarn.For me it was way too thick and she cried every time I put it on.Being a greyhound with thin skin and a big amount to cover it didn't suit us.May suit you.

My boy has very thin skin on his under side and very sensitive to various things. Thick sunscreen would not suit. Could I use sunscreen that humans use? Is there really any difference? Perhaps I will go that way and give it ago and see. Has anyone else used human grade sunscreen on their dogs?

Mason Gibbs I know you do how did you find it?