Bloat - What Makes Dog's Burp

BJean

Glad all is OK Lilli.....I was going to post earlier. I have been down the same road with 2 of my bitches.

1am is late for feeding? I try to avoid feeding after 2pm.... I don't want a gas build up & a tummy full of food o'nite.

Not so late for mine, my dogs are usually fed morning and night, night is usually between 9pm and 11pm :o

I am quite convinced, more than anything else, that a dog must have a genetic predisposition to bloat for GDV to occur.

Once there is genetic predisposition, then instigating factors like diet, immune, and environmental conditions come into play.

Edited by lilli

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank god I can breathe again, how stressful for you Lilli

I worry it will be a matter of time though :(

He is such a doofas.

I'm glad my big bear is okay, but you know I believe it should not be this way.

Wont rave on about it now though :)

I understand, I have been in tears of what has been and what may be again.

I am hoping if I roll a different genetic dice, I will get a different outcome.

Different may not be better, but I can live with the hope of different :)

Edited by lilli

Good video showing a dog bloating - the dog is fine.

This video shows a dog in the middle to late middle stages of bloat. This dog, Roscoe, was saved. He had just arrived in a new home. The weather was warm but not hot, actually quite pleasant as this video was being filmed. Neither the person who brought the dog to this foster home nor the foster home had ever seen bloat and had no idea of what they were seeing. As soon as they realized something was wrong, he was rushed to the emergency vet.

Youtube

Thank you so much for posting this!

This video shows a dog in the middle to late middle stages of bloat. This dog, Roscoe, was saved. He had just arrived in a new home. The weather was warm but not hot, actually quite pleasant as this video was being filmed. Neither the person who brought the dog to this foster home nor the foster home had ever seen bloat and had no idea of what they were seeing. As soon as they realized something was wrong, he was rushed to the emergency vet.

Youtube

Having lost my shepherd to gdv earlier this year I can tell you the signs can be a lot more subtle than this video and you can still lose them. My dog seemed a little restless and had unproductive gagging and I had to feel his abdomen to realise it was bloated - it didn't actually look that bad. He was rushed to the vets, and it took a bit of work to convince the young inexperienced vet that he had bloat (which proved correct - she thought it was a tumour :mad ). By the time he had surgery it was too late and he was eventually given his wings :cry:

Youtube

Thank you so much for posting this!

x 2.

And so glad your dog is ok Lilli. :thumbsup:

Edited by k9angel

I'm terrified of bloat :(

If Mosley even looks a little bloated I'm on the floor listeing to his stomach, tapping his belly to see if it sounds hollow....I'm a bit over the top :o but only because it can happen so quickly.

So glad your boy is ok lilli :)

If Mosley is an Anatolian (and I think he is from memory :o)

then I doubt he will suffer from bloat :)

The genetic predisposition for bloat in Australian Anatolians in extremely low.

I have not heard of an Anatolian dying or suffering from bloat in Australia for many years. There is no known incidence between myself and other breeders in more than a decade.

Edited by lilli

I'm terrified of bloat :(

If Mosley even looks a little bloated I'm on the floor listeing to his stomach, tapping his belly to see if it sounds hollow....I'm a bit over the top :o but only because it can happen so quickly.

So glad your boy is ok lilli :)

If Mosley is an Anatolian (and I think he is from memory :o)

then I doubt he will suffer from bloat :)

The genetic predisposition for bloat in Australian Anatolians in extremely low.

I have not heard of an Anatolian dying or suffering from bloat in Australia for many years. There is no known incidence between myself and other breeders in more than a decade.

That is great news......for the future ;)

Good to hear Brasco is ok.

Glad all is OK Lilli.....I was going to post earlier. I have been down the same road with 2 of my bitches.

1am is late for feeding? I try to avoid feeding after 2pm.... I don't want a gas build up & a tummy full of food o'nite.

Not so late for mine, my dogs are usually fed morning and night, night is usually between 9pm and 11pm :o

I am quite convinced, more than anything else, that a dog must have a genetic predisposition to bloat for GDV to occur.

Once there is genetic predisposition, then instigating factors like diet, immune, and environmental conditions come into play.

Very true Lilli - a recent study I believe, discovered that the risk of bloat increased by 60% if either of the parents have bloated. Of course, being that bloat happens more often in older dogs, it is much safer to know the history of the line so that you can avoid the genetic factor.

Very true Lilli....my girls were mother & daughter. They bloated at 9yrs then daughter at 9yrs & 11yrs. The gastropexy saved the daughter the second time around, the stomach was unable to twist. Vets I have spoken to say age is also a factor in the predisposed breeds.

My current bitch will have a gastropexy when she is speyed next year. :)

:cry: That is how I lost my Kieran .... he scoffed a small quantity meatyb!te dry bits ..stole them from another dog. That's all. Some time later I noticed him looking uncomfortable . :( Long story short .. it was too far and too hard to attempt a vet visit with such a poor outcome ..and after a few vet conversations, Kieran was sent over the bridge by me later on that evening...when it was pretty clear he had a torsion.

never, ever again will I own a deep chested breed ..for 7. 5 years I waited for the day,... fed and watered and exercised in ways which were supposed to cut back on the risk...I will also never ever feed that sort of dry food again.

We nearly lost Earl in the last school holidays due to his intestine twisting and cutting off blood supply - he has had several surgeries for ingesting foreign objects and we are absolutely paranoid about bloat or anything intestinal with him.

Any signs of restlesness / constipation / vomiting / gagging - he is at the vet. My greatest fear is that he will bloat and I will miss the signs - I worry that his surgeries and the fact he lost 80 cm of his intestine makes him susceptible to stuff like this :(

KHM - doG forbid it will happen again but if Earl has to go under for anything else, you could consider a Gastropexy if he is eligible. it's a good preventative measure for dogs predisposed which he may be.

I have been thinking about this - will talk to my vet about I and have it put on his records - I think - given his history - it would be a good idea