Amusing Mistaken Breed Names

pie

I can't even pronounce my dog's breed :o:o:o he is a petit brabacon - I have no idea how to pronounce the Brabacon part. Lucky they are not known as petit brabacons here but rather smooth coat griffon bruxellois (the bruxellous I have trouble with pronouncing as well :laugh: maybe I should have just stuck to golden retreivers :laugh: )

I just say Griffon, not game to attempt the Bruxellois part :rofl:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's not bad manners to pronounce it wyler instead of vyler - lots of rotty people pronounce it that way, probably the majority of them in fact :)

The breed is named after the German town of Rottweil, which is pronounced with the V sound, so strictly speaking it's rott-vyler, but as long as you say wyler and not wheeler you are making rotty people happy :D

No, it's not bad manners to pronounce it wyler instead of vyler - lots of rotty people pronounce it that way, probably the majority of them in fact :)

The breed is named after the German town of Rottweil, which is pronounced with the V sound, so strictly speaking it's rott-vyler, but as long as you say wyler and not wheeler you are making rotty people happy :D

That's like Weimeraner, it is supposed to be pronounced vy-ma-rah-ner but not many Australina pronounce it that way.

In my breed I've heard quite a few:

Pig dog

Bull Pit (?)

Roman Noses

and the list goes on....

The two I've found the most amusing was when I overheard Foxies being referred to as Giant Tenterfield Terriers (LOL) and Weis being called Wire Llamas......

A long time ago on a plane of existence far far away a lady with an odd accent rang and asked to have a White Monaro picked up. After asking her to say it again it still sounded like a White Monaro..... When it was confirmed she was not talking about a car and it was a fairly large bluish coloured dog the Weimaraner light came on!!!! We are sure that’s what she was saying it is just not what we were hearing!!!

I can't even pronounce my dog's breed :o:o:o he is a petit brabacon - I have no idea how to pronounce the Brabacon part. Lucky they are not known as petit brabacons here but rather smooth coat griffon bruxellois (the bruxellous I have trouble with pronouncing as well :laugh: maybe I should have just stuck to golden retreivers :laugh: )

I just say Griffon, not game to attempt the Bruxellois part :rofl:

so do I

my friend who is a toy judge pronounced it once and she did a good job, it doesn't sound like it is written!

My son misheard Weimaraner as "bite your arm off":laugh:

And I got ripped off with my Malinois pup - she's looks nothing like a Malamute, must be a GSD cross. Errrrrrr...... :rofl:

oh goody you can clear something up for me!

friend and I were talking about malinois. I pronounce it 'mal-in-wah' and my friend thinks the correct pronunciation is 'mal-in-woo'.

She is actually Belgium though so I am inclined to think I must have it wrong?

If it was the 'wah' sound at the end it would be 'noir'

Nois sounds like 'oo'.. French is a strange language :) haha

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect.

Malinois is pronounced Mal-in-wah, as SecretKei said. Any oi in French produces a wah sound, and never an oo. The only difference between your two examples is that the s in Malinois is silent, whereas the r in noir is not (so noir is pronounced nwahr).

And I got ripped off with my Malinois pup - she's looks nothing like a Malamute, must be a GSD cross. Errrrrrr...... :rofl:

friend and I were talking about malinois. I pronounce it 'mal-in-wah' and my friend thinks the correct pronunciation is 'mal-in-woo'.

Mal - in - wah :)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?malino01.wav=Malinois

I've never heard it pronounced malin- woo by any european friends either.:confused: Though they do pronounce the other three types of BSD's in ways that I could never get my tongue around :laugh:.

oh I'd missed this!

If it was the 'wah' sound at the end it would be 'noir'

Nois sounds like 'oo'.. French is a strange language :) haha

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect.

Malinois is pronounced Mal-in-wah, as SecretKei said. Any oi in French produces a wah sound, and never an oo. The only difference between your two examples is that the s in Malinois is silent, whereas the r in noir is not (so noir is pronounced nwahr).

Well there you go! :thumbsup:

Edited by minimiss

That is correct Trojka! :thumbsup:

And I am French :D

so how do you pronounce my griffon then?

petit brabacon and griffon bruxellois

many thanks :D

I keep seeing this now and thinking how unfortunate it is that your dog is a "bra-bacon" dog :laugh:

The best I have ever heard is at the Royal Melbourne Show this year, a lady points at a dog in a crate and says "Is that a DASH-HOUND?" and her friend nods, yes yes it is.... It was a Weimaraner!!

Edited by Ruffles

With the Samoyeds I have gotten:

White Malamute

White Sibe

Long haired Malamute

Long coated Sibe

Siberian Malamute (that was my favourite)

Polar Bear

Snow Dog

Giant Jap Spitz :laugh:

And then there is the pronounciation of Samoyed.

Most people say Sam-oyed, like annoyed.

This is techincally incorrect although almost every Australian I know does it, including myself at times :o

It's said either sam-e-yed or sa-moy-ed

I keep seeing this now and thinking how unfortunate it is that your dog is a "bra-bacon" dog

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's funny that you say this - Griffons are supposed to be notorious for their love of bacon although my fellow has never been given any. It all started from As Good as It Gets with the griffon in that - Verdell from memory - being fed copious amounts of bacon by Jack Nicholson's character. As for bras - I come home from work each day and Mochy has normally been in my dirty clothes and taken them all out to the hallway by the front door so he is familar with bras :laugh:

Thanks Saxon Pup!

sorry the quotes were mucked up so I deleted them the above in bold was from Minxy's post

I keep seeing this now and thinking how unfortunate it is that your dog is a "bra-bacon" dog

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's funny that you say this - Griffons are supposed to be notorious for their love of bacon although my fellow has never been given any. It all started from As Good as It Gets with the griffon in that - Verdell from memory - being fed copious amounts of bacon by Jack Nicholson's character. As for bras - I come home from work each day and Mochy has normally been in my dirty clothes and taken them all out to the hallway by the front door so he is familar with bras :laugh:

Thanks Saxon Pup!

sorry the quotes were mucked up so I deleted them the above in bold was from Minxy's post

:rofl: :rofl:

At the risk of being ueber nit-picky (something we Germans are known for) I'll add my two cents' worth in the name of education...

I would reccommend Dachshunds to be pronounced phonetically as 'ducks hoondt'. Dachs is German for badger, and the vowel sound is most like our duck or yuck sounds, rather than dark. But like I said, I'm splitting hairs here. The hund part is the sound from book, with a rather short d on the end. I've seen so many funny phonetic spellings, my favourite being 'dack sihnt'. I just call them Dackels! (duckles)

Having said that, if people ask what type of dog Bella is I often just say dash-hound to save confusion, it doesn't really bother me. Many people don't believe she's a purebred because she's longhaired.