Amusing Mistaken Breed Names

pie

I have NEVER had a member of the public recognise my dogs for the breed they are BUT at dog shows they've been call some funny things.

Basset Gone Wrong

Basset Forve (should be Fohve - O sound)

Basset Forve De Brettagknee

The best was the judge who awarded me 6 points and told me "I've only seen the Petits of these"..... Hmmm okay, they don't come in Petit so what breed is it that you think you're judging???? :laugh:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of these posts are the sort of thing that makes people think that purebred dog owners are elitist. If some one pronounces an

O instead or or as or a g sound in a name is that really so bad. Calling it a Burmese instead of a Bernese is not a big sin - a least they recognise it as a breed.

What right have we got to expect the public to get breed names right when the ANKC misspelt one of my breeds on its website for the standard and the state CC misspelt in on their stand at Pets Expo a few years ago? The breed is also often misspelt here on Dol by regulars. There is no O in Dalmatian.

I cant even post what someone called my breed once but if you dont say it right and miss an important

I in the middle of X O L O I T Z C U I N T L E

you get the drift!!

The stewards just go "Xee " dog or point at shows!!!

Its always a BIG win when people have a go at the name I am happy with a X easfghjdoyrte anything!!! Just have a go

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

Calling it a Burmese instead of a Bernese is not a big sin - a least they recognise it as a breed.

I was talking about vets and vet nurses. You'd think they'd know better. They should anyway. Both breeds are fairly well known. In fact, one of the other vn I work with owns two Bernese Mountain Dogs, so everyone at work recognises the breed.

Someone in my profession should at least be able to pronounce them correctly. Not too much to ask.

By the way anyone that has met me or the dogs know I spend a lot of $$$$ on name pronunciation cards for the breed!!

Well worth it!

You have done a lot to educate people on the correct pronunciation and I know you are pleased when pronounced correctly

(as I found out at Dogs on Show) :)

The problem with some breed pronunciations is that unless someone is fortunate enough to hear people pronounce it correctly they usually only guess the best they can.

By the way anyone that has met me or the dogs know I spend a lot of $$$$ on name pronunciation cards for the breed!!

Well worth it!

You have done a lot to educate people on the correct pronunciation and I know you are pleased when pronounced correctly

The problem with some breed pronunciations is that unless someone is fortunate enough to hear people pronounce it correctly they usually only guess the best they can.

whats Dogs on Show ? The Spring Fair ? Sorry I bet I will regret asking lol\ pssst its in my sig here tooo!

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

Well worth it!

whats Dogs on Show ? The Spring Fair ? Sorry I bet I will regret asking lol\ pssst its in my sig here tooo!

It might have been the Spring Fair, it was down at the herding. I don't normally venture up to the breed rings so sometimes get forgetful which event it is. Beautiful dogs.

Never ever ever say "Dash hound" infront of a German person thats all i can say :laugh: and never say "Sausage dog" Infront of a Dachshund person :D

When I had my shop years ago, someone saw my two dachies and called them "dash hounds".... the little old German lady in the shop gave them such a lesson on grammar I dont think they ever would have said it wrong again. And I didn't have to say nothin!

A lot of these posts are the sort of thing that makes people think that purebred dog owners are elitist. If some one pronounces an

O instead or or as or a g sound in a name is that really so bad. Calling it a Burmese instead of a Bernese is not a big sin - a least they recognise it as a breed.

:rofl:

these are good, working in a shelter I come across a fair few good ones. Even had a 'rare' (right from the bat you can just tell!) Germaine Shorthaired Steffie. It was a Staffy cross, not sure how much German (or Germaine) in it though! Owner was dead set that was the correct breed, and I havent heard of it as it is quite rare :)

"The RSPCA's Hugh Wirth said the dog appeared to be an English bull terrier cross"

I always thought the dog was a "Bull Terrier".

I've even seen them called English Bull Terrier on websites of registered breeders.

I've always been told to stear clear of a breeder who calls them "English BT's"