Guest english.ivy

111 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feed your dog/s once or twice a day

• Once
    • Twice
    • Seasonal
    • My dog is still a growing puppy
    • Other

Once a day only here. I'm surprised by how many people feed 2 or 3 times a day for adult dogs :confused:

It doesn't mean they get more food :) Their daily portion is divided into 3 meals.

Long time ago our vet suggested that 3 feeds x day is 'easier' on their digestive system. We've been doing it for over 7 years and it works well here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many reason why people choose to feed more than one meal a day.

Breeds prone to GDV, dogs on medication, dogs that simply do better with their daily ration split into smaller meals. Whatever works is best surely. Where is it written on stone that adult dogs only get one meal per day?

In reality a carnivore's digestive system is designed for gorging on food and then potentially not eating for days afterward's until the next 'kill'. They have hinged jaws which allow them to swallow large chunks of food for the purpose of getting it down quickly. They definitely don't have the same digestive system as humans.

Humans feed smaller portions so it probably makes no difference being fed once or twice a day. I do remember reading somewhere dogs should miss a meal reasonably regularly but I don't remember how often, once a fortnight maybe? Does anyone know if thats helpful or not?

Guest lavendergirl

I am so pleased to see that so many people feed twice a day. I feed my little guy twice a day - once in the morning in various treat balls, kongs etc to help relieve his separation anxiety while I am out and again in the evening - again as something to occupy him. He does not like toys or games and I feel food is the only thing that motivates or interests him. I try to balance one day's intake over two meal times.

In reality a carnivore's digestive system is designed for gorging on food and then potentially not eating for days afterward's until the next 'kill'. They have hinged jaws which allow them to swallow large chunks of food for the purpose of getting it down quickly. They definitely don't have the same digestive system as humans.

Humans feed smaller portions so it probably makes no difference being fed once or twice a day. I do remember reading somewhere dogs should miss a meal reasonably regularly but I don't remember how often, once a fortnight maybe? Does anyone know if thats helpful or not?

That might be so, but if that is the case, then they are also designed to then go & sleep under a tree for days until they get hungry & need to go & find another meal. Not exactly what we expect of our modern dogs. To me, my dogs are my family, & I wouldn't expect my family to miss out on a days food every so often, so why should my dogs. Maybe us humans should go back to prehistoric times as well & eat like cavemen did ;)

I don't think I could keep weight on my girl if I only fed her once a day - she eats a lot of food, more than I'm willing to feed in one sitting.

If you feed the same amount of food in one meal, that you are currently feeding in two meals, your dog will maintian weight better.

How do you come to that conclusion??

Like amypie I couldn't physically allow my dogs to eat their daily requirements for the work they do in one sitting.

That might be so, but if that is the case, then they are also designed to then go & sleep under a tree for days until they get hungry & need to go & find another meal. Not exactly what we expect of our modern dogs. To me, my dogs are my family, & I wouldn't expect my family to miss out on a days food every so often, so why should my dogs. Maybe us humans should go back to prehistoric times as well & eat like cavemen did ;)

But dogs are not strict carnivores ;) so they would have had snacks on other foods.

My dogs all go out and graze and love to graze in new environments so I might feed them two meals but they probably add in an extra one themselves of interesting things they find to snack on.

Maybe us humans should go back to prehistoric times as well & eat like cavemen did ;)

We'd probably be healthier if we did..;)

I feed my 3 year old dog once per day and if not training (we use food) he gets a small biscuit in the morning too. He tends to throw up on an empty stomach, always has, so I don't fast him. Up until about a year ago he was fed smaller meals twice per day.

My 12 week old pup gets fed twice per day plus 2-3 training sessions using food and a Kong at bed time. Most days she gets a roo bone to chew on in her run too. She's a little fatty and seems to do better if kept slightly hungry so I probably will fast her for a day here and there when she's older.

Our 4.5month old Staffy pup is on three meals a day still. I think he will stay that way until 6 or so months. (Ok sometimes its two if im stuck with a client all afternoon and don't get home for lunch, but it is rare).

Meals aren't a specific time - breakfast is 0700 to 0740ish. Lunch is 1230 to 1400ish and dinner 1800 to 1900 ish. Depends on what other stuff is happening. He doesn't sook or whine for his food, and he's not allowed to carry on while im dishing it up either.

My older dogs, and dogs who are maintaining their weight easily, get fed once a day (they may get a treat or bickie bone during the day or at bed time as well).

I have a dog who has a hard time maintaining weight - he gets fed twice a day. He also gets fed twice the amount the other dogs do, so it makes sense to split his meals. Of course if he misses breakfast, then he gets a huge meal at night, and he's just fine with that too. But boy does he dance around till he gets breakfast in the morning :)

I do find that splitting the meals helps maintain the weight better than one large feed.

We have 4 adult dogs here; the youngest is 2.5 and the oldest is almost 9. They all get fed twice a day with some exceptions. The younger two are garbage guts and very insistent about what time they get fed (usually 5/6AM and 5PM), but my two (Carl and Mischa) are happy to eat whenever. They only really 'pester' me for food if I haven't given them breakfast on purpose or whatever. Neither of them is huge on food but they usually eat what they're offered. Depending on my schedule, they mostly eat before 9AM and then again at around 8PM. :shrug: I never feed them until after they've exercised, so they sometimes don't even eat until 11 or 12PM. Fortunately they don't mind!

If I stay somewhere else for the night, neither of them eats dinner/breakfast. They wait until I get home. :laugh: