Strange Rituals

Dame Aussie

Lili is a fetch fiend. She is absolutely obsessed with balls and we always have quite a few lying around the place, but I have noticed she is quite particular about which ball is used.

Any ball is ok, as long as it's a tennis ball, but say for instance I go outside and throw her pink ball a few times, she's happy as Larry, but if I then pick up a green ball and throw it, she will fetch it, then stop dead in her tracks, spit it out and go and get the original pink ball to play with. :confused:

Even if I put the pink ball away she will NOT fetch the green ball. The next day however if I throw the green ball, she won't touch the pink one.

WTF? :laugh:

Does anyone know why a behaviour like this would come about? I think it may have to do with her personality, she is quite a serious dog and likes routine. Who knows!?

Does your dog have any weird little rituals/behaviours?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine doesn't she chases any ball ( even if it's not hers) but one of the dogs Sasha plays with is like your dog. He's very picky about playing with certain balls, he must chase after Sasha's ball ( they have the same, but Sasha's is red and his is blue) and Murray may chase Sasha's and then start coming back to us, then realise it's not his ball and then just drop it. He's a cute dog though. He also will take his brother's ball and then stand there trying to figure out which one he wants. yesterday his brother had the glow in the dark ball though and murray wouldn't touch it.

Mine seems to hate being watched or monitored when she poos. So annoying when she does it in grass at the park, because if I go close to her collect it, she toddles off while squatting to finish somewhere else (and I then can't find where she finishes her business). And if I wait until she's finished to go pick it up, I can never bloody find it! :laugh:

Mine seems to hate being watched or monitored when she poos. So annoying when she does it in grass at the park, because if I go close to her collect it, she toddles off while squatting to finish somewhere else (and I then can't find where she finishes her business). And if I wait until she's finished to go pick it up, I can never bloody find it! :laugh:

Mosley is very self concious when pooing :laugh: If he sees you out in the yard while he is doing his business there he will try and move away, looks like a T-Rex walking along still squatting :rolleyes:

spider WILL NOT poo anywhere but his yard, then will not go near that area. he also walks away from his poo... while he's doing it. quite hilarious to watch.

luna still i presume is in pound mode and will only poo on a hard surface ie my bitumen car port!between the two spider now has only a tiny bit of yard he'll actually play in!

spider will not play fetch. no matter how hard i try.. he's a tug of war guy.

im trying to teach luna to play fetch so i can have at least one annoying fetch playing puppy!

My Border Collie walks to the driveway & onto the grass to toilet & returns the same way rather than go down the back steps straight onto the grass.

My Japanese Spitz pup has a strange way of eating. He will dance around the food than take a piece of kibble & run into the loungeroom to eat it. Come back for another piece. He will do this for 2-4 times before he finishes his meal from the bowl. :laugh:

spider WILL NOT poo anywhere but his yard, then will not go near that area. he also walks away from his poo... while he's doing it. quite hilarious to watch.

luna still i presume is in pound mode and will only poo on a hard surface ie my bitumen car port!between the two spider now has only a tiny bit of yard he'll actually play in!

spider will not play fetch. no matter how hard i try.. he's a tug of war guy.

im trying to teach luna to play fetch so i can have at least one annoying fetch playing puppy!

Be careful what you wish for :laugh: Saturday morning 6am, and a wet mingin ball is dropped next to my face on the pillow :rolleyes:

With 4 dogs, we have lots of rituals....

Magnum has a 'thing ' where he can sense that I am getting sick of throwing the ball for the poodle, so he will intercept it and take it away. He just goes and lies down with it somewhere, and wont let her get it until he is ready. Bless him. He also has a thing with the car, he will jump in the back and straight into the back seta, until I get in the front and tell him 'in the back' and he will happily jump back to where he is meant to be. He just waits to be told.....

Addy is a guarder and a thief. She will guard any unopened bag of anything, and lays in front of it for days if I dont go and move it away. I left a bag of dynamic lifter one time to see how long she would guard, she lasted 5 days until I moved it. She will also steal items and hide them in her kennel, doesnt chew anything, just wants them. She also has a thing for getting patted, she must walk back and forth on you rubbing herself like a cat, then she is happy and will leave you alone.

Piper is a mad ball chaser, to the point we put them away to stop her over exerting herself. She will then get a rock, stick, leaf, anything to get you to throw it. She will also not lie on the OH's lap until he puts a cushion on it. She will stand on the arm of the chair and look at him, if he ignores her she will start to pat him with her paw.

Milos routine is to annoy Piper. I have never seen a dog that gets more joy out of annoying something than he does. He also has a thing where when I am getting dressed he crawls across the carpet on his belly then lays on his side and nibbles at the foot I have my weight on at the time, so I can move away. If I manage to get dressed without him knowing he sulks all day lol

They all follow me in the chook pen of a morning and have a quick snack of poop, then try and give the OH a morning kiss. He is learning not to accept it tho lol. They also wait at the garage door for us in the afternoon, the neighbours sure know when we are close to home......

When dinner is getting made mine runs around and around and around the inside of the house with excitement like she can't control her nerves. For breakfast though she just lies on the top lounge and I call her over. She grabs a couple of biscuits, gets back on the lounge and eats them and repeats the process until the are all gone. My sister's dog likes to eat brekkie on my sister's bed and as soon as the packet rustles she assumes the sphinx position waiting for the biscuits to be sprinkled straight on the doona in between her legs.

My Labrador has a shoe obsession. She always greet us with a shoe in her mouth. If no shoes are available then a toy will suffice, but a shoe preferably one of mine is better for some weird reason.

She also always goes to bed with a shoe. Its actually very cute- she carries it into her crate at night and then rests her head on it. Then when its time to come up to bed with me (she sleeps on my bed :o), she carries the shoe upstairs and places it on the bed. Sometimes I throw it off, but it will always be there in the morning. She also comes and dumps it on my face and digs me out of bed, if she thinks I've been sleeping in for too long :laugh:

She's actually quite reasonable but any later than 8.30am is "too late" in her book. Its fine with me because I actually feel really tired if I sleep in later than that anyway.

We have three, Molly has a thing for Care bears, she takes them everywhere even on walks, she will welcome a new Care bear to her collection but will turn her nose up at other stuffed toys.

Audrey will spin 3 circles to the left and then 3 to the right when l click her lead on to go for a run with the bike but only when the bike is out.

Isaac when he comes in for the night will go straight for his crate if the door is not open he will bark then will sit in there for a few mins (door open) before coming out and joining the family in the lounge for the evening.

Tilly looooves her blue squeaky ball. I use it to train her sometimes. We've had to buy about 3 of the same ball because she won't play with any other.

We got the same ball in green once and she'd always choose blue over green. We put it away for a couple of days and then bring it out again because she can get very obsessed.

I actually just told her off for getting up on the kitchen table to reach onto the cabinet to get it...

I have a houseful of iggies which are eccentric and strange little dogs.

Sultan freezes as hes about to walk into his crate. He wont budge til i pat him them its ok to go in? He does this EVERY time.

Capri sits on his wrists if its cold so his feet dont get chilled

Dali screams continually while im getting their dinner ready, like someone has stuck a knife thru him. He stops the moment i feed him.

Nyx has to do 2 laps of the backyard at high speed every morning before she pees

Venus wont go to bed until shes run over and annoyed Chilli (kelpie x) and been growled at, then she happily runs into her crate.

Luna likes her crate to be covered before she eats? Otherwise she will sit and look at the food for hrs without eating

Yep they're a weird breed :)

Harry starts to eat his dinner, runs out to the backyard and does a pee (even if he's only just done one) and then comes back to finish his meal.

Whitney eats a lot faster than Harry, and then expectantly watches to see if he comes back to his dinner, even though she knows she's not going to get it even if he doesn't. I guess she's living hope!

Maddie does a hundred circles with a few digs in between before she lays down.She also sits on the bed watching me get dressed.As soon as I start to put my jeans on she flies off the bed and stands in front of me stamping her feet and wagging her tail madly.I can put on any other item of clothing and she won't move.Stan is the most exited dog in the world when he does a poo.I can hear him thundering up the back stairs then he flies around the house picking up random things and flinging them in the air.I can almost hear him saying "YAY i did a poo". :laugh: