Greyhound Guard Dogs

HazyWal

As most people know greyhounds are not guard dogs.They rarely bark or even get off the lounge except to welcome people into the house which includes robbers. :laugh: Tonight my two are running around the house ears pricked and I've walked around the house and found nothing..nada,,zero.Does anyone else have a guard dog that is about to attack..............nothing.

I have aLurcher girl (greyhoundXFoxhound) she's everyones best friend and loyal to the world. She sometimes barks and we go out expecting people and find her barking at a bug. She only ever barks at bugs or at the other dogs if they're ignoring her. She's useless as a guard dog so luckily we have the maremma for that

Maybe they can hear or see something you aren't though good on them for guarding you.

Katie, our grey, has a huge scarey sounding bark when she wants and she has a couple of times now told people that she felt shouldn't be wandering around to clear off

- I was out walking with her and this very angry man started screaming abuse into his mobile she immediately swung herself across in front of me and gave a loud bark. Guy got into his car and left, I nearly had a heart attack as I wasn't expecting it at all. She then calmly walked on as though there was nothing happening in her world but her walk - she is very focused when we are walking. You put her muzzle on and it seems to act like blinkers as she stops looking around and just focuses on the task at hand.

- some guy tried to open our side gate and come into the back yard, my OH heard him at the gate and asked what the hell he was doing, he then appeared to leave but actually went around to the car gate and tried to get it open, OH was still in the yard and yelled out he was ringing the police (which he did) - Katie put herself between OH and the gate and apparently gave a big bark.

- she has barked like that only a couple of other times and on both occasions there were loud unpleasant sounding people wandering passed the house.

Really not something we expected from a grey and Katie is such a gentle really sweet dog that it is a bit of a shock the first time you hear that bark.

The only other time she makes any noise is when she is playing with Bertie and she will occasionally give a really happy its great to be alive woof.

Mags LGDs are known for just barking because that's their main defence system. The booming bark is what alerts possible threats to their presence and wards of predators. That's why we have to lock our Maremma up at night, or he'd bark non-stop

We used to live near an older man with a couple if greys, one of them, his girl, he treasured as he believed she saved his life.

Years ago he was attacked at night while walking her and she attacked the offender, driving him away! She was a gorgeous dog too :)

I brought 2 Fosters home on the same evening. The first night, they both barked at anybody who walked by the front fence so I thought I hit the jackpot. But after they settled, they stopped barking. The boy rotects his pack in the dog park though, challenging any big dogs that show the slightest sign of aggression to the smaller grey or whippet. I suspect he would do the same to a human who challenged me.

Actually no one would get into my place without my greyhound bitch letting me know. Fern is a brilliant watch dog with a huge bark.

Aplogogies I should have said some greyhounds not all. :o

no need to apologise, greyhounds that guard are not common. Her son Miller also barks but, to me, he is following Fern's lead and if Fern wasn't there or didn't react Miller would most likely remain sound asleep.

my mum saved a pup from my brothers litter, mouth to mouth and all, nursed her back to life, she was undersized, tiniest greyhound I have ever seen and spoilt rotten , living in the house queen of the lounge , the best guard dog they ever had , with a bark that gave the impression there was a 10ft tall dog behind the door :rofl:

My Std Poo's sound extremely ferocious....I have had many a delivery man or bible basher leap back from the front door by metres :laugh::thumbsup:

But the dogs would lick you to death & jump all over you as is you have come to play and vivit them :D

I have lost my old girl this year that would put a hole in an intruder if they came in her yard!

My two greys are excellent "alert" dogs. Phoebe will bark at anything not quite right outside - like the neighbours about to have their car broken into.

If I don't investigate she will run to me and bark at me until I do, which is fantastic.

We often have the front door open but fly screen/security door locked. They will both wag and welcome anyone they know, but bark at anyone they don't know that comes through out front gate and walks up the path to the front door. Once I give the ok they will wag and welcome. It is great for getting rid of doorknockers as until I give "the word" they act quite unfriendly which is exactly what I want.

Well that's interesting that they can be good guard or alert dogs.My two have never barked at anything.I am only fairly new to greyhounds and only had a few fosters before I failed...twice.Their size alone seems to make people wary when they come to the door especially when they're thundering down the hallway at them.

Running up the hallway to the door is the best Harry will do. I'm sure if we got broken into, he'd wander over for a cuddle.

Whitney (great dane) might bark, if she felt like it, maybe. She wants cuddles as well, so I think she's just asking them to come to her for a rub! Although, with her bark, not many take her up on the offer.

Well I have a doberman cross and I guess he doesn't believe in taking any chances. Especially if I'm home alone, he is almost on constant semi-alert. Luckily though he seems to have enough rottie in him to be more of a growler than a barker. One thing he can't stand is the guy who comes around garbage night to collect bottles to trade in for the 10c reward in SA. And the guy is now too scared to go past our house lol, even though the dog is just growling at him from indoors - he just has a very 'Omen' style (that's how people have described it to us) growl so I guess for strangers it can be intimidating.

He has a thing about loitering outside our house lol which is a good thing when it's the losers coming to collect drugs from our next door neighbour, but not so good when it's the poor little old man who walks very slowly. He's not even 2 yet so hopefully as he grows he's will learn the difference...

He doesn't like strangers that haven't been introduced, and I know that he at least stands his ground when weirdos approach me late at night and scare me (they ran off when he growled so who knows what he would have done had they pressed forward) - but we wanted that in a dog. If they have been introduced they're new best friends which is also exactly what we wanted. One of the guys at our training club is incredibly jealous because his best doberman bitch won't even bark at strangers entering their home, she is a labrador/greyhound in that regard so we know we're lucky to have that balance.

One breed that to me has an amazingly scary bark are labradors, but most large dogs can at least sound the part. I would never break into a house that owned a rottweiler or an ACD - I reckon they're the 2 dogs most likely to want to teach you a lesson, no questions asked (but hey I don't break into a whole lot of houses anyway to be fair lol).

My greyhounds only bark at family and friends :/ Even then, it's more of an excited "OMG WE HAVE VISITORS! OMG U GUIZ VISITORS OMG!" kind of barking.

If they don't recognise a car or person, they stay completely quiet or scurry off to hide in bravely guard the spot behind the garage.

Kiff sleeps in the hallway that leads to the front door and has been known to sleep right through someone knocking on the door and then me trying to step over him to answer it. If all burglers had to carry liver treats in their pockets, maybe they'd get more of a response from my pack of fatties.