Pedigree Papers (incorrect)

Talien

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiff if you are not showing or breeding it is just donating money to the Canine Council (or whatever it is in your state) :laugh:

Very true! I just wondered if keeping her papers under the breeders name would mean they would still have some kind of legal ownership over her?

Years ago 'of' was not allowed in NSW but it changed :)

I Think I read not long ago you previously couldn't have Of, From, Vom, Von but it was changed or taken out of the rule. Can't remember now where I read it, Maybe in a Dogs NSW Journal? or when I was searching the web for something else. I hate when you half remember something and then can't find where you read it.

Cheers Lee

Heya just got home and checked his papers, they're all signed by the breeder ready for my information to be jotted down and sent off :)

Freak-out over!

Hehehe

As for not showing him on Limited Register, I know this but he will (at my discretion) be getting evaluated by the breeder for showing/breeding at 12 months (if I choose to do this) and she said she would help me get into showing and show me the ropes if I am interested.

As yet, he's still only 9 weeks (as of yesterday!) so I will take some time to think about it. As it is I am just happy to have a companion goldie who loves to play and learn (so far he is learning very quickly!)

And my little ball of love just figured out his new treat ball and is hoovering it up as we speak!)

I'll send the forms out tomorrow once we can access our money again! (stupid CBA... >.<)

How long do you have until they have to be changed over to main? All the show dogs we have we're bought as show potential ones, and we've shown them as pups, some from as young as 12 weeks, but i have heard you can change them from limited to main up to a certain age. Just out of curiousity and i know a little off topic, what is the age? and do many breeders do this?

How long do you have until they have to be changed over to main? All the show dogs we have we're bought as show potential ones, and we've shown them as pups, some from as young as 12 weeks, but i have heard you can change them from limited to main up to a certain age. Just out of curiousity and i know a little off topic, what is the age? and do many breeders do this?

It used to be 3 years but now I don't think there is an age limit but can only be transfered between limited and main register on 1 occassion. The fee scale goes up depending on the age. The highest fee is charged for transfering a dog from limited to main over 18 months old.

Cheers Lee

Tiff if you are not showing or breeding it is just donating money to the Canine Council (or whatever it is in your state) :laugh:

Very true! I just wondered if keeping her papers under the breeders name would mean they would still have some kind of legal ownership over her?

Yes, they could have a claim if it came to a dispute. You also need the papers in your name if you intend to compete in any form of obedience or dog sports.

6.1.3 No word that is in the nature of a known prefix or deceptively similar to a

known prefix and no prefix except the breeders registered prefix may be used

in a dog’s name.

Regs on naming pups ,the name would have been refused due to being a prefix

i find this rule rather finicky. For instance if I wanted to name my papillon {prefix} El beshiva, but i can't because thats too similar to the prefix of a border collie breeder in NSW's. Like what impact does that have on the breeder?

6.1.3 No word that is in the nature of a known prefix or deceptively similar to a

in a dog's name.

i find this rule rather finicky. For instance if I wanted to name my papillon {prefix} El beshiva, but i can't because thats too similar to the prefix of a border collie breeder in NSW's. Like what impact does that have on the breeder?

That breeder would be me. laugh.gifthumbsup1.gif

Has no impact on me whatsoever. As long as the puppy is cute and black and whiterofl1.gif

Oh and I should add NOT a Border Colliebiggrin.gif

Edited by benshiva

in a dog’s name.

Agreed. And it appears to be up to the prefix owner to police this, not the admin people processing the registrations. There'd have to be hundreds of dogs with some version of "heaven sent" in their names, it's obviously not affecting any breeder, so why have the rule in place if it's going to be ignored by the admin staff?

My prefix is Mainstreet, it's not been used yet and might never be, but I would expect there are dogs with some version of my prefix in their names.

Yes, they could have a claim if it came to a dispute. You also need the papers in your name if you intend to compete in any form of obedience or dog sports.

^^^^ This if i were you id get it done asap, i know it dosent happen often but there has been cases of (not so good) breeders taking dogs back because they still have the papers in thier name. I know its unlikely but are you willing to go to court if it dose?

added to that if you decide to compeat with your dog it needs to be in your name, i know someone who didnt decide to compeat untill the dog was nearly 6 yo by that time the breeder had unfortunatly passed away and it was a very hard task getting it all sorted.

Just out of curiosity, how important is it to change the papers into the new owners name??

I got my girl at 6 months of age (she is now 12 months). I never even gave a second thought to change the details on her papers over to my name. The breeder never said anything! (but now that i'm looking at the papers, she has pre-signed the back ready for me to send off it would seem) I have no interest in showing and she can't be anyway because she has a severe underbite. I see it says late fees apply 60 days after transfer....so my question is, is there any need to change her over to my name? Is she was to ever become lost, her microchip and council rego are under my name..

Most people dont bother to change the details over - simply because it makes no difference.All you do is give the state CC money. Whether it is registered in your name on the ANKC registry makes no difference to ownership as this is taken by the chip and the local council, receipt papers etc. Unless you intend to do something with your dog via the ANKC which requires a registered pedigree being in your name there is no benefit to you to do that.

I gave up allowing puppy buyers to name puppies for pedigree purposes years ago as there is no guarantee that what they choose is what they will get - out of every litter several get knocked back because its similar to someone's prefix etc and then they get upset because it isnt what they asked for . In states where the breeder isnt able to transfer the ownership but the onus is on the puppy buyer I cant imagine that many would see the need to pay money to do it.

Edited by Steve

Lets look at it another way.

As a "breeder" would you want every pup you;ve bred on the LR or the MR for that matter, remaining in your name, given that if anyone decides to look at the number of dogs having drawn a magical line in the sand ?, You could see yourself coming under scrutiny, regardless of the dog physically belonging to you or being on your property.

If the RSPCA can gain access to the CC's files, what makes people think that if the laws get tougher, councils and the like won't be able to press the magic button.

in a dog's name.

Agreed. And it appears to be up to the prefix owner to police this, not the admin people processing the registrations. There'd have to be hundreds of dogs with some version of "heaven sent" in their names, it's obviously not affecting any breeder, so why have the rule in place if it's going to be ignored by the admin staff?

My prefix is Mainstreet, it's not been used yet and might never be, but I would expect there are dogs with some version of my prefix in their names.

If another Border Collie breeder named one of their dogs something that looked VERY similar to my prefix, something that could be misconstrued as being my prefix, I'd jump up and down until it was changed. I don't want to be acknowledged as the breeder of anything other than what comes out of my yard.

Other breeds I don't care. A quick check of the prefix and it's easily noted that I breed Border Collies and no other breed.

Ah fantastic! You guys are awesome, where did you get that bit from Showdog? I had a very hard time navigating ANKC... >.<

So not a chance for Artemas even then, kewl, as long as there was no other option then I can live with his name as is, after all, his microchip and name tag say Artemas, and I can make a lot of puns out of "Arte". Tehehehe

I will definately check the forms for the name change tonight though. If they haven't been filled out by the breeder then I am heading down that way this weekend. So I will get her to sign them then as long as she is home and available.

You can always call your dog "Artemis" though. My dog's kennel name is Brandulfer. But his name is Odin and he is regiatered as Odin with the local council with the kennel name in brackets. Your dog's name doesn't have to be the kennel name.

And the breeders of both my dogs were very prompt in transferring the ownership to my name.

Edited by Odin-Genie

in a dog's name.

If another Border Collie breeder named one of their dogs something that looked VERY similar to my prefix, something that could be misconstrued as being my prefix, I'd jump up and down until it was changed. I don't want to be acknowledged as the breeder of anything other than what comes out of my yard.

Other breeds I don't care. A quick check of the prefix and it's easily noted that I breed Border Collies and no other breed.

Agreed except that you may want to branch out into another breed one of these days and personally I dont want any dogs of any breed walking around with any name that may make someone think I bred it and have to look twice to be sure I didnt.

For a breeder their prefix is like a designer brand and anyone seeing the name Levi for example anywhere in a name assumes its made by the same people who make Jeans - its a good system and protects breeders from having their designer brands being affected by someone else. No biggy for a pet owner it is for us.

^^^^ This if i were you id get it done asap, i know it dosent happen often but there has been cases of (not so good) breeders taking dogs back because they still have the papers in thier name. I know its unlikely but are you willing to go to court if it dose?

added to that if you decide to compeat with your dog it needs to be in your name, i know someone who didnt decide to compeat untill the dog was nearly 6 yo by that time the breeder had unfortunatly passed away and it was a very hard task getting it all sorted.

Breeders cant take the dog back if the pedigree papers are still in their name as long as all of the other papers are not still in their name. Microchip, council regos and sales receipts squash any claim.

in a dog's name.

Agreed except that you may want to branch out into another breed one of these days and personally I dont want any dogs of any breed walking around with any name that may make someone think I bred it and have to look twice to be sure I didnt.

For a breeder their prefix is like a designer brand and anyone seeing the name Levi for example anywhere in a name assumes its made by the same people who make Jeans - its a good system and protects breeders from having their designer brands being affected by someone else. No biggy for a pet owner it is for us.

Good point.

in a dog's name.

Good point.

Does your prefix have to always go as the first word in the dogs name? If that is the case, why should it matter if there is a similar word used on the backend of a dogs name?? Surely people would then realise that prefix el beshiva isn't bred by Benshiva? (for example) just as people know that a uk reg dog called Benshiva My Pup at Beanara would be bred by Benshiva and owned by Beanara