Pedigree Papers (incorrect)

Talien

A few years ago, maybe 3 or 4, a pup of the same breed as mine was registered with my kennel name as it's name (after the prefix).....

I contacted Dogs VIC and asked that they revoke the name and make them chose another but their reply was that the name was fine as they had altered it slightly, they then told me that if they wanted, they could use my prefix as the registered name and just put a space somewhere in there and it would be accepted and I could do nothing about it. :mad

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6.1.3 No word that is in the nature of a known prefix or deceptively similar to a

known prefix and no prefix except the breeders registered prefix may be used

in a dog's name.

Regs on naming pups ,the name would have been refused due to being a prefix

i find this rule rather finicky. For instance if I wanted to name my papillon {prefix} El beshiva, but i can't because thats too similar to the prefix of a border collie breeder in NSW's. Like what impact does that have on the breeder?

Agreed. And it appears to be up to the prefix owner to police this, not the admin people processing the registrations. There'd have to be hundreds of dogs with some version of "heaven sent" in their names, it's obviously not affecting any breeder, so why have the rule in place if it's going to be ignored by the admin staff?

My prefix is Mainstreet, it's not been used yet and might never be, but I would expect there are dogs with some version of my prefix in their names.

If another Border Collie breeder named one of their dogs something that looked VERY similar to my prefix, something that could be misconstrued as being my prefix, I'd jump up and down until it was changed. I don't want to be acknowledged as the breeder of anything other than what comes out of my yard.

Other breeds I don't care. A quick check of the prefix and it's easily noted that I breed Border Collies and no other breed.

Agreed except that you may want to branch out into another breed one of these days and personally I dont want any dogs of any breed walking around with any name that may make someone think I bred it and have to look twice to be sure I didnt.

For a breeder their prefix is like a designer brand and anyone seeing the name Levi for example anywhere in a name assumes its made by the same people who make Jeans - its a good system and protects breeders from having their designer brands being affected by someone else. No biggy for a pet owner it is for us.

Good point.

Does your prefix have to always go as the first word in the dogs name? If that is the case, why should it matter if there is a similar word used on the backend of a dogs name?? Surely people would then realise that prefix el beshiva isn't bred by Benshiva? (for example) just as people know that a uk reg dog called Benshiva My Pup at Beanara would be bred by Benshiva and owned by Beanara

Yes in Australia a prefix must always appear at the beginning of a name and it matters to me.

When I received my LR papers it was signed by the breeder but they told me I didn't need to do anything with it?? Should I change it or just leave it :confused: Her rego and microchip is in my name. I cannot breed with her and will not be showing her don't have time :( thats if she was show quality had I had time to do it.

Change the papers if you want to. In law it makes very little difference but to me it's part of owning a pedigree dog.

With my pups (Staffords) I always empahasis how important the papers are, especially when they include the chip number.

Other breeds perhaps there's not quite the same importsnce to be able to prove what the dog really is?

I have always had the papers transferred to me. My most recent dog had 2 owners before me but his pedigree was still in his breeders name. I had him transferred right away. It just makes everything easier, and when I applied for a council permit they wanted to see all the dogs pedigrees, so I was glad they were all in my name and with my residential address on the papers.

Does your prefix have to always go as the first word in the dogs name? If that is the case, why should it matter if there is a similar word used on the backend of a dogs name?? Surely people would then realise that prefix el beshiva isn't bred by Benshiva? (for example) just as people know that a uk reg dog called Benshiva My Pup at Beanara would be bred by Benshiva and owned by Beanara

Just to go slightly off topic... I have seen this "at" with the other kennel name on the end on a UK site I was on, but have only seen it once over here (but the dog was imported). Is it not common for that to happen for dogs bred in Australia? Is it not allowed in Australia?

Well since pedigree names can't have another's prefix in the name it does make it harder Rubystay

I know of one or two that have done it by using a space.

Several husky breeders I know mention the sire or both parents in their dogs names

ie PREFIX Esky by Levi Or Prefix Dreamers Esky by Levi

I quite like that approach, makes it easy to know who the parents are

Just to go slightly off topic... I have seen this "at" with the other kennel name on the end on a UK site I was on, but have only seen it once over here (but the dog was imported). Is it not common for that to happen for dogs bred in Australia? Is it not allowed in Australia?

Do you mean *Prefix Funky Dude at Prefix* ?

No it's not allowed here (unless the dog is registered that way elswhere and imported) because here we cannot register a dog that has anothers prefix in its name.

I find the way it is done in the UK quite sensible to be honest - it means that when I'm looking at pictures of a dog online I can see, at a glance, who it was bred by and who owns it. :thumbsup:

There is another version!

If I buy a puppy from you but I had bred both parents, then my affix will go before yours in the dogs name, should I chose to add my affix

eg Myprefix Yourprefix My Puppy - so long as parents are Myprefix the sire ex Myprefix the dam

His name was going to be Gift of Artemis, but his name is just Artemas which means gift of, or, follower of, Artemis had to find a way around the fact that Artemis is female and my fluff ball is a boy :)

I thought he might have been named after St Artemas ..... But yes Artemis (or Diana) aka the Goddess of the Hunt is definately female :)

im surprised that you had input into your dogs registered name, both breeders of my boys chose their names (I just consider it falls under breeders rights lol ... They did all the work, they get to choose) and their registered names played no part in the names we gave them

Oh and the same for our cat too :)

Edited by FionaC

I chose Bensons, Dustys and Isaaks registered names. And our pedigree cats were all registered with the pet names we gave them.......Prefix Bruno etc.

In the case of the dogs, I was asked by the breeders what I wanted them to be named.

I can't understand why you are upset really. There is nothing the breeder has done that is incorrect. The breeder chooses the pedigree name.

If you get any input it is a courtesy that the breeder does this.

I offer puppy buyers a choice of a few pedigree names if they want but I choose the names. I don't want my pups registered with something like Bimbo the Second or The Little Mermaid :laugh: which may be the choice & you offend if you say no.

For the council registration they don't care or want to know if your dog has a pedigree, a health issue or comes from the worst puppy farm they have allowed to function in the area.

They just want breed, age, sex, colour & your money.

Try & enjoy your puppy, who I am sure is gorgeous, Photos ? & de stress about it all.

No one has done anything wrong from what you have posted.

I chose my puppy's registered names. I had a loose theme (by loose, i mean i chose all the names based around the theme, except for the puppy I kept, whos name didn't come close to the theme!) I didn't give the buyers a choice because to be honest it took me that long to come up with 5 names I was happy with that fit the theme I wasn't about to come up with more so they could choose!!

Next time, I might not be as precious, and either get the puppy buyers to come up with some choices based around the theme I've chosen, or i will give them a choice of a couple of names.

I was lucky with my first pedigre dog her breeder said i have a theme you have this many letters to play with and she actually liked the name i came up with :rofl: but if i didn't come up with something or she didn't like it it was her choice

second is my pup and breeder chose her name but i liked it we decided it together

third no say