Omg Expensive Desexing

Atanquin

Just got a call for my vet ( he was out at horse that was stuck in a fence all day) and he told me to expect zorro's desexing to cost about 300+ depends how easy it is to locate his other testical normally a dog his weight would be $180 my poor pup the vet said he was sorry it didn't drop as he is such a lovely dog temprement and confirmation wise :) I told him I was worried it might be going cancerous and if I should have just done it t 6 months he said it will be fine and it's better to ha e waited to see if would come down as the surgery for a normal desexing has a quicker recover and if they have to go searching so I will see

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't seem expensive to me. Its potentially a long abdominal surgery so that is rather cheap IMO

It could take an hour to find it- turned out a dog I saw being operated on only had one testis but we still had to look everywhere for the second one.

Guest lavendergirl

Many people complain about the cost of desexing but it always seems reasonable to me. I recently paid over $600 for a dental - including 2 extractions.

I've been quoted about $500 to desex my boy both his testicles are retained :(

My boy had two retained testes and it was $600 (also included microchipping) and any follow ups to do with the wound were free plus the antibiotics he needed to go on so I think $500 is a good price.

It cost me $258 for Kyojin - same thing, one missing testicle. I didn't go to a vet that charged by weight though, otherwise it would have cost me at least double. It might sound expensive, but as others have said, it is a lot more invasive than a normal castration. The follow up appointment was included in this price.

I haven't needed to desex my male dogs (and finally have a vet who understands that :)), but I did have my cat desexed the other day and without opting for any extras it was around $110. Both testicles had descended and imo, were very prominent for a 5 month old lol so I had him done a month early. I did think this was a bit steep, given that I've seen first hand what's involved in castrating males - probably took them 5 minutes at a stretch but oh well, needed to be done. What did annoy me a little though is that the vet nurses try to sign you up for all kinds of extras so that the procedure could have cost over $350 when from what I've seen, I doubt they have many easier or quicker procedures than a male castration when both testicles have descended...

Many people complain about the cost of desexing but it always seems reasonable to me. I recently paid over $600 for a dental - including 2 extractions.

Yep LG. Recently was going to pay over $600 myself for dental work until the vet brought it down a hundred for me. Desexing seems pretty reasonable in comparison, which thinkingabout it is weird.

At least you only desex once and you will have peace of mind. Alas vet bills are something I just had to surrender to when I became a pet owner, challenging my rather tight#$%# ways :D

You can always call around and ask for quotes, normally I just book the dogs in for desexing and just pay the bill. For a retained testicle that quote sounds normal until I found a new vet - well worth the half hour or so drive.

Going off topic a bit:

We recently had Piper (Rottweiler) spayed (7 yo in Jan - had 2 litters, both em c sections), quotes were $560 - $251.70. The cheapest vet was recommended to me by another Rottweiler breeder friend so had no issues going for the cheapest quote. He is a country vet and now my new vet :thumbsup: .

All the other vets said when quoting that the cost could be more due to her age, she had litters and previous c sections - the vet we went with said EVERYTHING is included. As it was she was a difficult spay, her uterus was butchered during her previous em c section and was a real mess. It was very difficult to remove due to the thickening and scaring, had to make a larger cut to get to it. He said if that was the result of one of his c sections he would be very disappointed with it, said she would never have been able to be pregnant again, luckily we never tried again then. No doubt had she been spayed at one of the other vets the price quoted would have jumped heaps...

Sorry to take that way off but after having Piper spayed it has changed my way of thinking when I spend my money at the vets from now on - and I have spent thousands on vet bills!!!