Has Proban Been Withdrawn From Sale?

dee lee

I just went to do my yearly Proban restocking, in anticipation of holidaying in a tick area, & my usual vet informed that it is no longer available !

When I asked why he replied, rather testily, that too many animals had been poisoned. :o

He offered to spray Honey with Frontline on Friday (she had just been bathed) as that was all he could recommend.

So I called the other vet where I have bought it before & they hadnt heard anything about that. :confused:

Proban is the best option for us -we have looked at them all & discounted all others for various reasons- so I went & bought some from them.

Can anyone in the know shed any light on this? Is it no longer available due to being to toxic?

Or is my vet just making a personal call? (which is fine, I'd just rather he be honest)

I know that it can cause some issues from toxicity, but hadn't heard of animals being poisoned when used correctly. Hmmmmm interesting

It has officially been withdrawn from sale and manufacture since August 2011. Due to toxicity issues. It has ceased registration in australia.

It has been withdrawn from the market because the company can not source one of the products used in its manufacture.

I do not think a product that has been used for as long as this product has been by vets, the dog and cat people is likey to causing a toxic reaction in animals after all this time.

It MAY have caused a toxic reaction if not used in accodance with the directions.

Thanks for that information. I'm glad it's the ingredient rather than the toxicity.

ES, I was able to get about 20 tablets from my old vet thankfully. I figured since we have used it with no issues for the last 2 years it would be safe again.

What a complete pain though. I was quite happy using it.

I bought a bottle a couple of years ago & never had a reason to use it. It went out of date the end of Nov. I've always been paranoid about taking my dogs to a tick area & at the time it was the only thing the vet recommended I use if needed.

It's about time there was something made to help eradicate the pesky creatures or something like there is for heart worm prevention.