Rescue Lumping Breederswith Byb And Pet Shops

Kavik

I think the issue is when the "show" quality owners talk down to the "pet" owners. And I may be wrong, but I dont necessarily think one is better then the other. One excels at being in the "show" world and one excels at being a family member to a loving family. (lets assume)

They each have their value and to suggest one is "better" is where the issue lies in this forum, again my opinion.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the pet people here I'd never heard it was a problem before, which is why I have been :confused: I'm not adverse to being flexible and moving with the times, just hadn't realised it was an issue anywhere except here. Shame it's come to the stage where we have to dumb down everything and cannot use a simple term anymore without it being taken the wrong way. How else do you word an ad, show prospects and non show prospects?

Why would you need to? Shouldn't that be a discussion with the prospective buyer? A simple "registered ANKC breeder" should be enough to imply that some of your pups may be destined for the show ring.

If I were looking through ads for a potential new show prospect why would I want to call every breeder when a simple show/pet wording would let me know what is available. I personally wouldn't because I would research which lines I'd want but people starting out don't know. Conversely pet owners would be calling every breeder who had an ad because they wouldn't be able to tell which dogs, particularly with older single dogs being rehomed, would be suitable for them. That would put off a pet puppy buyer more than anything.

Not every breeder talks down to pet owners just like every pet owner doesn't think all showies are Aholes.

I don't get what the big deal is, there are "pets" and there are "show potential" pups. If you exhibit and are breeding for yourself, this is always going to be the case. I've never had a puppy buyer complain or walk away because of the choice of words, nor do they feel they have an inferior pup because they have one of the "pet" pups not one of the "show" pups.

There are some puppy buyers with a good eye for a dog ( they aren't all that common ) and then there are those who have no idea what they are looking it, some ask why I've chosen certain pups, some don't care, because they have come to simply buy a "pet".

I think the issue is when the "show" quality owners talk down to the "pet" owners. And I may be wrong, but I dont necessarily think one is better then the other. One excels at being in the "show" world and one excels at being a family member to a loving family. (lets assume)

They each have their value and to suggest one is "better" is where the issue lies in this forum, again my opinion.

actually my show dogs are my pets, all my dogs are pet quality, from the cross bred mutt to the show champions.

actually my show dogs are my pets, all my dogs are pet quality, from the cross bred mutt to the show champions.

I was actually going to ask that, but decided against it. Very happy to hear that. :D

I have to admit I don't like the term pet quality either. Having the word quality in there - pet or show quality - does to me imply a less superior product

No one is suggesting that breeders should stop grading them but if some members of the public feel this is a term which we would be better to consider not using perhaps that's something we should take on board.

Some members of the public feel we should sell the pups at 6 weeks and for peanuts, do we bow to that as well.

For heavens sake this is just idiocy, how about we just market them all as perfect pups, will that appease the snivelling from Sheridan and co, no, probably not they will just pop up with some other petty criticism probably relating to misleading the public.

Most of my enquiries come from people who ask for just a pet. Maybe they have it wrong?. To me that is the highest grade of pup there is, a lifetime pet and loved companion.

Most of my enquiries come from people who ask for just a pet. Maybe they have it wrong?. To me that is the highest grade of pup there is, a lifetime pet and loved companion.

agree the right home is everything, doesn't matter to me what the dog does or doesn't do competively, as long as they are loved and looked after for all their life. Sure I get a thrill when one wins in the ring but it's no different to when I hear what they got up to the other day :D

Hi all, just wanted to add the perspective of a "member of the public" - i.e., I've never been involved in showing or breeding dogs, and know nothing about it.

When I see an ad saying that "we sometimes have pet-quality pups available", I think "Oh good, I'm allowed to contact them if I would like a pup." In other words, I don't think of "pet quality" as a derogatory term. I think of it as descriptive, rather than evaluative.

My very basic understanding is that dogs that are perfect examples of a standard (in terms of appearance, temperament etc) will be used in breeding and showing. Other dogs will be pet quality. It doesn't mean that they're not good dogs. It means that the markings or colourings or the way the ears point etc is not what is specified in the standard.

So, basically, I am not at all concerned about the use of the term "pet quality". I don't find it offensive. In advertisements, I see it as an indication that I (a non-breeder etc) am welcome to enquire about a pup.

(Not having a go at anyone who is offended by the term - just adding my perspective.)

Thanks Kitt. I have had plenty of enquiries from folks after a pet puppy and many people understand the term as a dog-lingo thing.

But when I advertise I try and say things like - "we will have pups looking for pet and show homes". So that if a person isn't so familiar with the terms they don't necessarily think they are being offered a pet of lesser quality, more that a pup physically (and mentally) suited to being a show dog may be waiting for a home that suits that.

Lots of folks understand that individual dogs are suitable for different things, but people can also being offended easily by the written word if it's not put in a way that fits witht their perceptions.

I have to admit I don't like the term pet quality either. Having the word quality in there - pet or show quality - does to me imply a less superior product

No one is suggesting that breeders should stop grading them but if some members of the public feel this is a term which we would be better to consider not using perhaps that's something we should take on board.

Some members of the public feel we should sell the pups at 6 weeks and for peanuts, do we bow to that as well.

For heavens sake this is just idiocy, how about we just market them all as perfect pups, will that appease the snivelling from Sheridan and co, no, probably not they will just pop up with some other petty criticism probably relating to misleading the public.

Just because you get it and know what you think and mean about a pet quality pup doesn't mean the general public do. The term pet "quality" makes me feel that if people think that is a lesser description that I understand why it is and Im suggesting we shut up and listen to them and try not to use it.

The supposed us and them issue is easily fixed, we'll simply reverse "pet quality" and make it " quality pets" , that should appease the masses

problem solved, so those who like to get stuck into the registered breeders, can move on and tell us something else we're failing at

In every business I have been involved in we had focus groups where we canvassed the consumers to get their views of our product and whether our marketing campaign was getting the message we wanted across.

We would have been very foolish indeed to just use our ideas and spend millions on advertising if it was not going to get our message across to the right market segment.

Like it or not, consumers are quite sophisticated when they are purchasing anything and I think registered breeders should pay heed to feedback about how their product is perceived, especially when there is growing opposition to that product.

Most companies now have changed how they operate and what core messages they have because times are changing and if they want to remain relevant and profitable then they need to change to meet market expectations. If they don't they will lose profitability and market share and eventually they won't exist.

Just because you get it and know what you think and mean about a pet quality pup doesn't mean the general public do. The term pet "quality" makes me feel that if people think that is a lesser description that I understand why it is and Im suggesting we shut up and listen to them and try not to use it.

The only people I've come across that don't get it are here in this thread. In 40yrs of dogs it has never before been raised.

The supposed us and them issue is easily fixed, we'll simply reverse "pet quality" and make it " quality pets" , that should appease the masses

problem solved, so those who like to get stuck into the registered breeders, can move on and tell us something else we're failing at

:thumbsup:

In every business I have been involved in we had focus groups where we canvassed the consumers to get their views of our product and whether our marketing campaign was getting the message we wanted across.

We would have been very foolish indeed to just use our ideas and spend millions on advertising if it was not going to get our message across to the right market segment.

Like it or not, consumers are quite sophisticated when they are purchasing anything and I think registered breeders should pay heed to feedback about how their product is perceived, especially when there is growing opposition to that product.

Most companies now have changed how they operate and what core messages they have because times are changing and if they want to remain relevant and profitable then they need to change to meet market expectations. If they don't they will lose profitability and market share and eventually they won't exist.

your thinking and reasoning is very good.

problem is we are dealing with a group who like to constantly remind us that if you breed to cover costs. let alone ever admit to making a profit? :eek:

is to be labled a puppy farmer. we all know puppy farmers have to be eliminated.

sooooo. bit of a no win situation.

unless that mind set can be changed thats just the beginning of a multitude of problems.

Had a very interesting afternoon. Met a lovely lady with an adorable teeny Teacup Chihuahua puppy. "Her" breeder only ever uses 1.2 kg and under parents to keep the breed pure.

i remember reading that 4 to 6 lbs being the best breeding size. looked it up and it equats to 4 lb = 1.81436 kg to 6 lb = 2.72155 kg.

yet as she said. her puppy is perfectly healthy as is her parents and siblings, so why not breed for this size they are so much nicer.

how on earth do you answer that kind of question?

AND get them to listen?

Let alone understand?

Edited by asal

The only people I've come across that don't get it are here in this thread. In 40yrs of dogs it has never before been raised.

I agree Crisovar, personally I find the term 'furbaby' far more offensive than 'pet quality'.