What Breeds / X-breeds Show Up In Shelters?

sandgrubber

That's heartbreaking :( obviously I'm going on personal experience as there aren't studies but those with pedigree dogs who initially pay in the higher hundreds and up would be more inclined to seek out medical care as needed and less likely to dump such a significant investment.

I cannot understand how it's easier to dump at a pound when many rescues will even negotiate to pick up the dog and go above and beyond to help those they can. People make no sense :(

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it largely depends on the area the pound is in. For example, Renbury seems to have a higher number of fluffy and pom types because of the Asian, Italian and Yugoslav ethnic majorities. They tend to like these breeds. Blacktown in my view seems to get a lot of staffs, ridges and other bull and similar breeds because of the demographics in their council areas, whilst regional pounds I'd think would get ample working type breeds and their crosses.

Whilst running a breed specific rescue, I had no problems with breeders willing to take back the Pugs they had bred if need be. In fact I argued with a few because I wasn't planning on giving them back and I had only phoned to alert them as a courtesy to the dog's circumstance.

Most Pugs that I picked up from pounds appeared to be byb whereas the majority of surrenders I took in were pedigree and papered.

Data would be inaccurate due to misidentification of breeds and unknown crosses being listed as a breed.

Anecdotal evidence would suggest that a large proportion of dogs that end up in pounds in Oz are bull breed crosses, plenty of them are the "generic brindle mutt " , referred to as "Staffy"

Data would be inaccurate due to misidentification of breeds and unknown crosses being listed as a breed.

Anecdotal evidence would suggest that a large proportion of dogs that end up in pounds in Oz are bull breed crosses, plenty of them are the "generic brindle mutt " , referred to as "Staffy"

Yep, rings true around here.

Why don't you go and look in the rescue threads on DOL? Should give you a pretty good idea of the breeds/breed mixes.

In terms of actual papered pedigrees- I think they would be pretty few and far between. From personal experience, I would say in general around 10-20% of dogs in shelters look pure-bred but could simply be the result of BYB or unregistered breeding of two pure-bred parents.

On the other hand a Staffy X Lab will almost always be listed as a Lab X . . . to improve chances of adoption.

The high frequency SBTs and SBT-X's makes sense because: 1. the SBT is one of the most common pedigree dogs in Australia (#1 in puppy registrations in 2010) and 2. Where I've lived in WA, the entire males I had to fend off when my girls came in season were mostly SBT's or SBT-like. Lots of people who get staffies seem to like 'em with balls on . . . and SBT's tend to be clever at escaping / breaking in (especially chain link fences).

p.s. I've spent many hours looking at pound and shelter listings . . . but it would be good to be able to say something stronger than "my impression based on looking at pound listings". Social data are almost always inaccurate . . . but collected data tend to be more accurate than anecdotes.

On the other hand a Staffy X Lab will almost always be listed as a Lab X . . . to improve chances of adoption.

The high frequency SBTs and SBT-X's makes sense because: 1. the SBT is one of the most common pedigree dogs in Australia (#1 in puppy registrations in 2010) and 2. Where I've lived in WA, the entire males I had to fend off when my girls came in season were mostly SBT's or SBT-like. Lots of people who get staffies seem to like 'em with balls on . . . and SBT's tend to be clever at escaping / breaking in (especially chain link fences).

p.s. I've spent many hours looking at pound and shelter listings . . . but it would be good to be able to say something stronger than "my impression based on looking at pound listings". Social data are almost always inaccurate . . . but collected data tend to be more accurate than anecdotes.

And that is why we need to petition the Government to collect accurate stats and data on the origin of dogs in pounds.

In my area pound, almost EVERYTHING is labelled as a "mastiff X" :hitself: or the second favourite choices would probably be "cattle X" and "JRT X", but only if it can't POSSIBLY be described as a mastiff....... sigh

ACD, kelpie/BC and bull breeds and their X's seem to dominate the medium-large dogs, with JRT and neglected looking maltese type X's seem abundant in the small.

Husky's and X's crop up quite often too.

Mastiffs aren't a common bred, they aren't a dog you'd be expecting to see in most neighbourhoods and if you see a pedigree one for the first time, I'll guarantee you'll stop and turn for a second look. Giant, majestic dogs. Dunno where all these ones come from that run around making mastiff crosses!

I would love all chips to have details conected that have the puppy's breeder on them.

Yes me too.........infact I would like to see a law here that ALL cats and dogs should be vaccinated and microchipped before being advertised for sale or incur a hefty fine .......it may put some people off if they have to pay out before they can make money from sale of pups and kittens .

There is legislation in the ACT requiring dogs to be microchipped if sold ...

84 Identification of dogs and cats—requirement

(1) A person commits an offence if—

(a) the person keeps a dog or cat; and

(b) the dog or cat is required to be identified by a regulation made

for section 83; and

© the dog or cat is not identified as required by the regulation.

Maximum penalty: 5 penalty units.

Dogs and cats Part 3

Section 84

(2) A person commits an offence if—

(a) the person sells a dog or cat; and

(b) the dog or cat, after the sale, is required to be identified by a

regulation made for section 83; and

(3) An offence against this section is a strict liability offence.

And the regulation

7 How dogs must be identified—Act, s 83

(1) A registered dog must be identified by a tag attached to a collar

worn by the dog.

(2) The tag must be the dog’s registration tag or another tag that shows

the dog’s registration number.

(3) A dog must also be identified by an identifying microchip if the

dog—

(a) is at least 12 weeks old; or

(b) has been sold; or

© is a dangerous dog.

(4) The identifying microchip must—

(a) be implanted in the dog; and

(b) contain a number (the unique identification number) by which

the identification particulars for the dog can be worked out;

and

© function properly.

(5) The identification particulars for a dog are—

(a) the following information about the dog:

(i) the dog’s breed;

(ii) the dog’s date of birth or age;

(iii) the dog’s colour;

(iv) the dog’s sex;

(v) the dog’s reproductive status;

(vi) the address where the dog is, or is to be, kept;

(vii) the unique identification number of the identifying

microchip implanted in the dog;

(viii) the identification number of any other microchip

implanted in the dog;

(ix) the name and business address of the person who

implanted the identifying microchip mentioned in

subparagraph (vii) and the date it was implanted;

(x) whether the dog is a dangerous dog; and

(b) the following information about the dog’s owner:

(i) the owner’s name and home address and, if different,

postal address;

(ii) a contact telephone number for the owner; and

© the name of a person (other than the owner) who can be

contacted in relation to the dog and a contact telephone number

for the person.

(6) However, subsection (3) does not apply to a dog if—

(a) the dog is less than 6 months old; and

(b) a veterinary surgeon certified in writing, before the dog was

12 weeks old or first sold (whichever is the earlier), that

identification of the dog by identifying microchip would be a

serious health risk to the dog.

I can tell you now though, it doesn't stop people selling pups without microchips, and unless the purchaser of the pup makes a complaint, how can it be investigated?

I'm sure someone can tell you in more detail, but my observation of the DAS site is that the common occupants are Staffy (and their crosses) Jack Russells (and their crosses) and working dogs.

I suppose the breed/mixes commonly found in pounds would depend on the council areas the pound services... some will have a higher SBT/mix intake, and some may have a higher swf intake rate, some may have a higher percentage of older dogs, and others may have a larger number of younger dogs. Then we need to look into the percentage of strays vs surrenders... the entire picture may never truly be known though, because I don't think statistics like that are kept or tracked by anyone at this point.

As for purebred dogs - identifying those is usually via the microchip details that have the full prefix and name of the dog listed - and it is more common than most breeders might like to admit that pure dogs may end up in rescue.

Of the pounds I've visited regularly over the past few years, they seem to have an even number of bull breed mixes AND swf types... but have also seen a fair smattering of "pure" types like Labradors, GSDs, Rotties, arctic breeds - usually younger adults in the larger breeds who may have become a little more to handle than was envisioned when bought as a puppy. I haven't seen or met a large number of pound dogs who were "broken" in any way, except needing exercise regularly, a bit of obedience training, or needed regular grooming.

T.

Haven't finished reading the thread but so glad I saw this... I was wondering how I could somehow have my dogs' breeders details as well as mine on the microchips, of course register their pedigree name! I'm pretty sure Riley is under his pet name but I will see if I can change it, and make sure Quinn goes under her reg name too :thumbsup:

Last time I was at the local RSPCA they had about 15 bully*staffy* whatevers, 2 border collie *s, one looked like pure BC, one great dane *, 2 JRT*s, a couple of white fluffies, a papillon, a swedish vallhund (with papers), a belgian shepherd (no papers but looked pure), 2 kelpie *s, and what I think may have been a ridgeless ridgeback (he was labelled a mastiff *), and about 5 dogs with ACD in them. These were the juvs and adults. There was also a pen of babies that were staff* whatevers. And she had just sent to Vic (I think) a giant schnauzer * which may also have been a pure (he looked it but hard to tell with the large hairy ones). Manager told me she usually has one or two dogs that look like a pure and occasionally gets an unusual pure - like the swedish vallhund.

Would be nice if a chip number could be sourced back to its original owner and thus the breeder. Would I hope lead to less being PTS as ethical breeders would I hope help rehome their dogs where possible and some accountability re the people it was sold to (which may give people more reason to seriously consider getting a puppy or dumping it in a pound)

It would be nice if the breeder could get the dog back if it gets surrendered but not here in SA, unless its picked up in a private rescue. They won't give it us back :mad

I desex, vaccinate, microchip & pray it never happens. I still do a note on the form though

useless as it may be.

Most of the x breeds I saw here, when I used to look ages ago, were guess what it could be & we tag it. Mostly staffy, german shepherd, heeler, kelpie, lab or rottie if it had any pattern remotely resembling one. Mainly medium to large mongrels.

I would love all chips to have details conected that have the puppy's breeder on them.

Yes me too.........infact I would like to see a law here that ALL cats and dogs should be vaccinated and microchipped before being advertised for sale or incur a hefty fine .......it may put some people off if they have to pay out before they can make money from sale of pups and kittens .

There is legislation in the ACT requiring dogs to be microchipped if sold ...

84 Identification of dogs and cats—requirement

(1) A person commits an offence if—

(a) the person keeps a dog or cat; and

(b) the dog or cat is required to be identified by a regulation made

for section 83; and

Dogs and cats Part 3

Section 84

(2) A person commits an offence if—

(a) the person sells a dog or cat; and

(b) the dog or cat, after the sale, is required to be identified by a

regulation made for section 83; and

(3) An offence against this section is a strict liability offence.

And the regulation

7 How dogs must be identified—Act, s 83

(1) A registered dog must be identified by a tag attached to a collar

worn by the dog.

(2) The tag must be the dog’s registration tag or another tag that shows

the dog’s registration number.

(3) A dog must also be identified by an identifying microchip if the

dog—

(a) is at least 12 weeks old; or

(b) has been sold; or

© is a dangerous dog.

(4) The identifying microchip must—

(a) be implanted in the dog; and

(b) contain a number (the unique identification number) by which

the identification particulars for the dog can be worked out;

and

© function properly.

(5) The identification particulars for a dog are—

(a) the following information about the dog:

(i) the dog’s breed;

(ii) the dog’s date of birth or age;

(iii) the dog’s colour;

(iv) the dog’s sex;

(v) the dog’s reproductive status;

(vi) the address where the dog is, or is to be, kept;

(vii) the unique identification number of the identifying

microchip implanted in the dog;

(viii) the identification number of any other microchip

implanted in the dog;

(ix) the name and business address of the person who

implanted the identifying microchip mentioned in

subparagraph (vii) and the date it was implanted;

(x) whether the dog is a dangerous dog; and

(b) the following information about the dog’s owner:

(i) the owner’s name and home address and, if different,

postal address;

(ii) a contact telephone number for the owner; and

© the name of a person (other than the owner) who can be

contacted in relation to the dog and a contact telephone number

for the person.

(6) However, subsection (3) does not apply to a dog if—

(a) the dog is less than 6 months old; and

(b) a veterinary surgeon certified in writing, before the dog was

12 weeks old or first sold (whichever is the earlier), that

identification of the dog by identifying microchip would be a

serious health risk to the dog.

I can tell you now though, it doesn't stop people selling pups without microchips, and unless the purchaser of the pup makes a complaint, how can it be investigated?

I'm sure someone can tell you in more detail, but my observation of the DAS site is that the common occupants are Staffy (and their crosses) Jack Russells (and their crosses) and working dogs.

Unfortunately there aren't any similar requirements in WA

Yes they did contact the breeder - no interest as the dog was desexed. But it did find a nice home.

The manager said she easily adopts out most purebreds as long as they pass the temperament test. But she is shocked occasionally at the obviously expensive and often young dogs that come in. Just last year a friend of mine was there at the same time as a man was surrendering a few months old choc lab still with papers. My friend bought him - great dog. The next day the wife appeared demanding that they get paid for the dog. She left very angry.

Would be nice if a chip number could be sourced back to its original owner and thus the breeder. Would I hope lead to less being PTS as ethical breeders would I hope help rehome their dogs where possible and some accountability re the people it was sold to (which may give people more reason to seriously consider getting a puppy or dumping it in a pound)

It would be nice if the breeder could get the dog back if it gets surrendered but not here in SA, unless its picked up in a private rescue. They won't give it us back :mad

I desex, vaccinate, microchip & pray it never happens. I still do a note on the form though

useless as it may be.

Most of the x breeds I saw here, when I used to look ages ago, were guess what it could be & we tag it. Mostly staffy, german shepherd, heeler, kelpie, lab or rottie if it had any pattern remotely resembling one. Mainly medium to large mongrels.

that seems such a waste :( surely if the breeder is willing to take the dog back and it has been surrendered by its owners then it should be able to be released :( why stop breeders from trying to do the right thing? especially as its cheaper for the pound/ rescue and better for the dog.. very backwards rules there. does that mean breeders have to pay to get the dog back? :cry: or simply mean the dog is left there and they hope for the best?

Yes they did contact the breeder - no interest as the dog was desexed. But it did find a nice home.

The manager said she easily adopts out most purebreds as long as they pass the temperament test. But she is shocked occasionally at the obviously expensive and often young dogs that come in. Just last year a friend of mine was there at the same time as a man was surrendering a few months old choc lab still with papers. My friend bought him - great dog. The next day the wife appeared demanding that they get paid for the dog. She left very angry.

why did they even get the dog then :confused: and why would you dump a lab at a pound especially a choc lab they are one of the easiest breeds to rehome id think :eek:

i must be evil cos im kinda glad she left angry and disappointed.. can't imagine anyone would have the nerve to dump a dog and then turn around and demand payment :mad:rofl::mad

Some years ago there was a dog dumpage survey completed by the RSPCA and Burke's Backyard. Now before anyone goes overboard I recognise that its highly likely to be flawed, particularly in regard to breed identification. But it does make interesting reading in general terms and appears to support many observations people are making in this thread. - link here

Edited by westiemum